Ray Davis and James Cook

Italian Bills

He still isn't going to make guys miss like Cook. But against a team with major beef in the middle like the Titans maybe I'd have flipped the snap counts last night. Worth saying on Davis's big run 3rd Quarter the Bills two guards did a terrific job on the two massive Tennessee DTs. Edwards took Simmons out of the play and Torrence had a terrific block on Sweat. COT has been an encouraging story the last two weeks. He had a garbage first month of the year but he has just played two good games back to back. Rather suggests those of us who speculated he had come into the season out of shape might have been onto something. Took him 4 weeks to get game fit. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He still isn't going to make guys miss like Cook. But against a team with major beef in the middle like the Titans maybe I'd have flipped the snap counts last night. Worth saying on Davis's big run 3rd Quarter the Bills two guards did a terrific job on the two massive Tennessee DTs. Edwards took Simmons out of the play and Torrence had a terrific block on Sweat. COT has been an encouraging story the last two weeks. He had a garbage first month of the year but he has just played two good games back to back. Rather suggests those of us who speculated he had come into the season out of shape might have been onto something. Took him 4 weeks to get game fit. 

Good points.  I don't recall him giving up a pressure yesterday either.  Maybe I missed one but he looked good both in run and pass.

17 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I’m start thinking that this rookie is has something special… do you agree ? Not only at running, but like a pass catcher also. 

James Cook is a very good rb, but maybe, repeat, maybe, Davis is the real deal. 

I think that we are going to need both of them this week. Seattle has a decent defense. Good on the boundary at CB. But they are prone to getting gashed in the run game. 

I would use Davis a bit earlier in the game and pound the ball inside. Wear them down some and then let Cook come in and slide around a tired defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

davis hit the hole way harder and with less delay.  cook sets stuff up w better vision and moves better and is faster, but smaller.

this o would do much better if brady figured out the rhythm of the running game a bit better.  way too many of our plays get swallowed up or blown up in the back field because of delaying stuff that the D is looking for.  imo that delayed stuff works better when the quick hitters have been working.  those delayed runs by cook and allen in the redzone were disgusting.  the smash stuff was dominating.  the runs vs the jets, especially early, were killing it.  it seems like brady is playing madden at times just dialing up plays and seeing what might work. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I’m start thinking that this rookie is has something special… do you agree ? Not only at running, but like a pass catcher also. 

I said this after the draft, this kid barring injuries,  can become an RB 1 in this league.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Both are really good but let's not forget the OL

This probably more of it than a lot of posters might want to admit. That's not to say Davis isn't good, he seems decent, but the O-Line is cooking in run blocking. 

When your RB3 (Ty Johnson) doesn't look like a huge drop from your RB1, you probably have a good O-Line. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They seemed to struggle a lot with stunts and blitz pickups that 2 week stretch.  One thing i noticed on the road was occasionally running a no-huddle play after a successful play just to force a team into a base defense, get them off snap count at 1, and make it easier for the offensive line.  

Pass pro was never COT's strong suit, but he's showing some improvement there.  

4 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

This team has a hell of a running game with three capable backs.

This going to play dividends in the postseason.  Previously our one dimensional attack was built to rack up regular season stats/wins.  But I like this build for postseason success.

I think you have to be able to run it in buffalo/pittsburgh/NY/NE.  The weather will occaisionally hit you, and we ideally want to play at home.  

Loved Davis in the draft.  Perfect compliment to Cook.  Cook has bigger play ability.  Davis is better north and south.   Depending on the defense one style might work better than the other.  I would like to Allen under center more.  The run game was better and the play action is more effective.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Breaking tackles in different ways.  Cook being able to make those cuts inside and outside can generate a ton of extra yards, and davis just has very good contact balance to go with his straight line style.  

• Like (+1) 6