Defense: 1st Half vs 2nd Half - What is going on?

Mikie2times

How are we getting caught off guard so frequently in the first half? The numbers are crazy at this point.

First Half

236 plays

1,402 yards = 200.28 Yards Per Game  

95 points = 13.57 per game

5.94 Yards Per Play

Second Half

224 plays

910 yards = 130 Yards Per Game

33 points = 4.71 per game

4.06 Yards Per Play

It seems as though that we are somehow surprised by teams coming right at us in the run game. We get completely gashed. Then we make adjustments in the 2nd half and we totally shut it down (in all but the Ravens game). We see more pressures getting home as well. Our 2nd half defense has been completely dominating all year while our first half defense has been below average, even bad.  Look at some of these trends below in addition to the numbers. 

-4 of 7 opponents have scored 17 or more in the first half

-5 of 7 opponents have over 200 yards in the first half 

-Only 2 teams have even got to 7 in the second half

-0 of 7 teams have gained 175 yards in the second half

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

I think they want to play a certain way and teams are forcing them to play closer to the line of scrimmage than they want in the second half.

Essentially, the D isn't capable of playing the way it used to yet and be good enough to play 2 high shells and take away the run game enough so that it forces teams to throw

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

How are we getting caught off guard so frequently in the first half? The numbers are crazy at this point.

First Half

236 plays

5.94 Yards Per Play

Second Half

224 plays

4.06 Yards Per Play

It seems as though that we are somehow surprised by teams coming right at us in the run game. We get completely gashed. Then we make adjustments in the 2nd half and we totally shut it down (in all but the Ravens game). We see more pressures getting home as well. Our 2nd half defense has been completely dominating all year while our first half defense has been below average, even bad.  Look at some of these trends below in addition to the numbers. 

I have no answer, but when we were down 10-0 , I put in a large bet for Bills -3 , +155, for a decent amount..

For some reason I have no explanation for, they've been starting awful but make phenomenal adjustments at halftime. 

It's definitely a concern,  can't continue to start slow on both sides

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I have no answer, but when we were down 10-0 , I put in a large bet for Bills -3 , +155, for a decent amount..

For some reason I have no explanation for, they've been starting awful but make phenomenal adjustments at halftime. 

Was kinda similar to the Cardinals game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think they want to play a certain way and teams are forcing them to play closer to the line of scrimmage than they want in the second half.

Essentially, the D isn't capable of playing the way it used to yet and be good enough to play 2 high shells and take away the run game enough so that it forces teams to throw

That’s my guess. They seem very stubborn wanting to play with those safeties off the ball. The Miami game at the end last year was the exact same. I just think we are at a point where we need to come out with a plan that can contain the run. Against good teams we can’t afford to lose the half like we are. 

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They’re becoming a mandatory 2nd half bet at this point. 

• Agree 1

The Bills seem to have trouble with the scripted plays and offense tendency breakers, and then once teams settle into their normal offenses, the Bills play better. Rousseau made a comment about how they knew eventually the Titans would have to start playing their normal offense.

I think the Bills need to do some self scouting and counter some of their defensive tendencies to combat the start of game scripted plays.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3

The defense is a lot of bend but don't break and really relies on Bernard and taron Johnson to read the play

My theory is that the bills take away all the big plays away in the first half, allow/have the other team to show all their short game plays 

Second half comes and Bernard and Johnson can read and react to everything they have already seen 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills seem to have trouble with the scripted plays and offense tendency breakers, and then once teams settle into their normal offenses, the Bills play better. Rousseau made a comment about how they knew eventually the Titans would have to start playing their normal offense.

I think the Bills need to do some self scouting and counter some of their defensive tendencies to combat the start of game scripted plays.

I agree with this. It also extends past this game to nearly this entire season along with the Miami game last year at Miami. Perhaps even deeper than that, but 1st half/2nd half data is a pain outside of just points. In my frustration over McD I have brought up before that Joe Burrow has nearly 200 yards, zero incompletions, and three TD passes on 3 opening drives vs the Bills (includes the CXL game). As you pointed out, I think it's very possible that McD and the collective defensive minds are just not very good against scripted plays. Which is a big issue unless we can get it figured out. We can't spot good teams 10 points and expect to comeback. We saw that with Houston and Baltimore. 

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I agree with this. It also extends past this game to nearly this entire season along with the Miami game last year at Miami. Perhaps even deeper than that, but 1st half/2nd half data is a pain outside of just points. In my frustration over McD I have brought up before that Joe Burrow has nearly 200 yards, zero incompletions, and three TD passes on 3 opening drives vs the Bills (includes the CXL game). As you pointed out, I think it's very possible that McD and the collective defensive minds are just not very good against scripted plays. Which is a big issue unless we can get it figured out. We can't spot good teams 10 points and expect to comeback. We saw that with Houston and Baltimore. 

Yeah, it is the latest trend. The scripted plays are designed to take advantage of your tendencies. Right now, the Bills are weak against the quick passing game and run game and teams are attacking that right away. The Bills need to add some wrinkles to combat that. They need to be more nimble and willing to show different looks. That's my guess, at least.

On the other hand, their ability to make halftime adjustments has been on point. They are giving up an average of only 5.9 points in the 2nd half this year.

• Like (+1) 2

It's 100% McD.

Our Base Defense is essentially a Prevent. Our primary focus seems to be taking away deep passing (even against teams that aren't good at it), and allow teams to run the ball at will & freely complete crossers & stop routes in the 5-10yd range. We don't send pressure, and our zone is way too loose. We get gashed down the field, even by bad teams, and end up trailing in the first quarter. It's the same thing every week, we're all yelling "WTF!" by the end of the 1st quarter.

Then we come out in the 2nd half with a completely different Defensive scheme, we tighten-up, blitz, and get pressure- and start hammering teams.

You'd think a coach would use what works to start the game, but that's not happening. We keep coming out allowing teams to gash us early by doing the same thing to start. We're gonna be in trouble vs the better teams if we keep doing that. Stop waiting in until the 2nd half to run a real NFL Defense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

They know the soft spots in our zones and most teams seem to have a good handle on our defensive tendencies and can script plays early that just move the chains over and over.

Would like to see a bit more press coverage mixed in to disrupt the timing and a better job defending the flats and screens...just looking for some tendency-breakers... anything other than getting out-schemed early over and over

Once we get up on teams we can dictate more where the ball can go and do a decent job pressuring teams into mistakes, but are in for a long rough game whenever we have played from behind.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

First Half

236 plays

5.94 Yards Per Play

Second Half

224 plays

4.06 Yards Per Play

this is a reason to go against the norm and receive the opening kick. 

the defense over the past couple seasons has shown the ability to make great halftime adjustments almost like they get a feel for what the other team wants to do in the first 2 possessions by playing the shell defense.