The Coleman non-touchdown

Einstein

I agree that it’s technically not a catch if it happens in the normal field of play.

But I thought as soon as the ball crosses the goal line, it’s play over? Am I wrong on this?

If a runner fumbles 1 centimeter after the ball breaks the plane, it’s a TD.

Coleman had 2 feet down, ball broke the plane, and then it came out. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 10

There's been tons of call in the end zone where a player catches it, has two feet down and gets the ball knocked out of his hands before "completing the catch" to have it ruled incomplete, no TD. 

Same issue here. He loses control of the ball before the process of the catch is complete and he steps out of bounds before he regains control and completes the catch. 

Don't love it, but the application of the rule is pretty clear.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The call made no sense to me. When you break the plane its a touchdown and he took 2? more steps?

But neither did the Tennessee late flag challenge that they LOST but didnt lose a TO?? I was at the stadium today and nobody could understand the ref's decision.

Sometimes a challenge can only be for one particular aspect of a play and sometimes, like today, they can rust review a play and the officials can overturn any part of it they want. 

• Haha (+1) 1

No, it’s just like when a receiver catches a ball when he’s going out of bounds, the rule isn’t having possession as you go out of bounds is maintaining possession throughout the play.  Same as the endzone, you can’t just have possession as you cross the goal line on a pass, you have to maintain possession.  

You guys are confusing the rule as if you are a runner who already has possession and then they cross the goal line, in that scenario the runner could immediately fumble as he crosses the goal line and that would still be a TD.

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There's been tons of call in the end zone where a player catches it, has two feet down and gets the ball knocked out of his hands before "completing the catch" to have it ruled incomplete, no TD. 

Same issue here. He loses control of the ball before the process of the catch is complete and he steps out of bounds before he regains control and completes the catch. 

Don't love it, but the application of the rule is pretty clear.

Exactly

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree that it’s technically not a catch if it happens in the normal field of play.

But I thought as soon as the ball crosses the goal line, it’s play over? Am I wrong on this?

Yes you are wrong because he needs to complete the catch - it is total different than a runner at the goal line.

The 2 steps for a completion do not start until the player has control of the ball.  He gets it in 1 hand, loses control as the ball slides down into his mid section - regains control and gets 1 foot in and one foot out of bounds.  It is not a catch anywhere on the field of play since he did not get both feet down in bounds with control of the ball.

The goal line only matters if the player has control - such as a running play.  A passing play still requires the player to make the catch.  I feel for Coleman because it was a great effort and he literally made a superb attempt, but the defender looked to just free up the ball and force him to regather and his toe was just out of bounds.  

Sucks, but it was the right call and the same reason the Kincaid catch last week was not challenged - you must maintain that control and get your feet down.

It was also why the Kincaid catch today was a catch and fumble as he got 2 feet down and dove forward completing the play as the ball was knocked out and ruled a fumble.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

EVER since Dez Bryant got screwed (along with my bet 🙄) against the Packers in the Playoffs, I thought the rule was an ass! In that one, Dez caught the ball about the 1-2 and deliberately attempted to score by extending the ball across the line.

With Coleman… and many other idiotic NFL calls, the WR definitely gets both feet in, went across the goal line and then out of bounds with slight ball movement, that NEVER touched the ground!

UNLESS you actually touch an end line or never have possession while attempting to catch the ball, they should ALL be catches and the law is an ass! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The call made no sense to me. When you break the plane its a touchdown and he took 2? more steps?

But neither did the Tennessee late flag challenge that they LOST but didnt lose a TO?? I was at the stadium today and nobody could understand the ref's decision.

The challenge call was the one that I was trying to figure out.   Was it explained what was Callahan challenging?    Was it a sneaky way to challenge the part of the call that could get overturned in full if Kincaid had indeed been ruled as not catching it?    Is our rules guru watching film on that during the week so we can take advantage of that.