If Myles Garrett is available.. How much are you willing to offer?

SCBills

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Garrett's cap numbers would be modest at least because you'd be paying the Browns in draft capital to eat those guarantees.

This is something that could change the conversation for me. I would need to know the exact details on what he would cost against the cap. If the biggest part of the trade is draft capital then I am completely fine with that. If on the other hand the cap impact is also substantial, and it comes down to affording Myles Garrett or say Amari Cooper I take Cooper every time, even knowing that Garrett is a better overall player. So I would need to know that we could afford Garrett AND a #1 WR to be comfortable with it.

Edited by HappyDays

Whoever trades for him is going to get him for a couple games and then suddenly he's going to go on IR to get his feet operated on. Then you're going to have the whole "it takes a while to get back in game shape" discussion when he's average next year. This has the potential to be Von Miller 2.0 in terms of dumping money on a player who isn't impactful for long stretches, only he's going to cost a LOT to get. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Whoever trades for him is going to get him for a couple games and then suddenly he's going to go on IR to get his feet operated on. Then you're going to have the whole "it takes a while to get back in game shape" discussion when he's average next year. This has the potential to be Von Miller 2.0 in terms of dumping money on a player who isn't impactful for long stretches, only he's going to cost a LOT to get. 

the medical info would need to be extensive.  I saw earlier that it “healed up” from where it was in September.  We’d need to be really confident he could play the rest of the year at his level.

It will cost 1st, 2nd, 2nd +  at bare minimum. Likely Two 1sts

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the medical info would need to be extensive.  I saw earlier that it “healed up” from where it was in September.  We’d need to be really confident he could play the rest of the year at his level.

It will cost 1st, 2nd, 2nd +  at bare minimum. Likely Two 1sts

On top of the cost in compensation is the cost of keeping him beyond this year.

There's no way we'd pay even close to that for a 1 year rental and no way Cleveland would trade him and eat that much Dead Cap for what we'd like to pay in compensation for a 1 year rental.

And that money that we'd have to pay him would cost us any opportunity to re-sign Amari Cooper.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, Savage said:

You need to take a swing at the fence sometimes, rather than being happy with singles and doubles.

singles and doubles will only get you so far.

just like the Bills for the last 6-7 years.

AgIn with what $?  We have $2.2 mil of space. We would need 5-10 times that to make a swing at Garrett.

Besides, if Cooper develops to what I think we’ll have happen, we’ll need

at space next year for a Cooper extension.

Edited by machine gun kelly

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

AgIn with what $?  We have $2.2 mil of space. We would need 5-10 times that to make a swing at Garrett.

Find a way to make it work.

before you know it, JA17 will not be the QB he is now.

34 minutes ago, Savage said:

Find a way to make it work.

before you know it, JA17 will not be the QB he is now.

The cap USA. Hard cap.  You can only restructure so much.  We’ve already done that several times, so wait for Von to get back.  He’ll miss Seattle, but should play in. Buffalo vs. the Fish.  He was effective in the beginning of the year.

Some people just think you can make it up on the fly, but there is only so much wiggle room.  One area of concern is Rappaport Judy reported KC is under

final contractual neg. For Hopkins.

• Agree 1

I really have thought this over. He is the most dominant d-end in the game. 28 years old. 800 grand this year….and will need to be extended. 30 million plus.

I offer two first rounders. I think he’d add such a force to this defense that we’d be considered a favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Garrett is a beast of a DE, but with the draft capital required and the cap hit in subsequent years this would be a no for me.

There's very likely more life in Garrett than Miller when we signed him, but I'd like to think Beane learnt some lessons from the Miller trade (correction: contract) that will/should give him some pause with this one.

Edited by NI Bills Fan

5 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Garrett is a beast of a DE, but with the draft capital required and the cap hit in subsequent years this would be a no for me.

There's very likely more life in Garrett than Miller when we signed him, but I'd like to think Beane learnt some lessons from the Miller trade that will/should give him some pause with this one.

what's the lesson?  That any player can get hurt?  Also, it was not a trade.....

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what's the lesson?  That any player can get hurt?  Also, it was not a trade.....

Not a trade, true... But a hefty investment with regards cap space none the less.

If there is already warning signs regarding future availability (the foot injury reports) then I'm taking the cautious approach on this one.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The cap USA. Hard cap.  You can only restructure so much.  We’ve already done that several times, so wait for Von to get back.  He’ll miss Seattle, but should play in. Buffalo vs. the Fish.  He was effective in the beginning of the year.

Some people just think you can make it up on the fly, but there is only so much wiggle room.  One area of concern is Rappaport Judy reported KC is under

final contractual neg. For Hopkins.

Well,

the CAP is telling me the Bills will not win a SB with Josh Allen.

unfortunate.

sometimes,

you just need to say F-it, mortgage the future, and take a really big shot at it.

that time is pretty much now with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

If Garrett wanted to move (and that is a big if even despite the Cleveland tire fire) he would want a chance to win . We can provide him that opportunity this season and the future, but we have almost checkmated ourselves with the salary cap so I cant figure out how Beane would swing it.

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

If Garrett wanted to move (and that is a big if even despite the Cleveland tire fire) he would want a chance to win . We can provide him that opportunity this season and the future, but we have almost checkmated ourselves with the salary cap so I cant figure out how Beane would swing it.

again, Garrett is only an 800k hit to acquire right now.  His numbers the next 2 seasons are not bad 

• Like (+1) 1