KC vs. Buffalo's record a microcosm of the Allen/Mahomes debate

Success

the clowns who sell constant nfl coverage have to give narratives and the guys with the most endorsements and highest profile get the most attention.  allen and mahomes are two of the faces of the entire league, so they sell it that way.  it's plainly obvious that coaching and the roster and the entire team is what matters but that's not what drives clicks and views and sales of crap they sell.

because of this, i just don't consume nfl or sports media any more really.  i'll check out podcasts and stuff w analysis and numbers, but holy crap hearing morons talk about allen's turnovers or how mahomes finds a way to win or whatever is just stupefying.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Even in the years when Mahomes seemingly “has no help” in terms of offensive playmakers — never mind that he’s played his entire career with a HOF HC/OC and a HOF tight end — the Chiefs’ defense and one of the best kickers in NFL history regularly bail him out.  That’s … wait for it … complementary football.

So Patty can throw more picks (8) than touchdowns (6), but the media say “he just wins” and make excuses for his turnovers.  Josh could go the whole year without throwing a pick, and people like Timmuh and Troy will still talk about “expected turnover plays” and dropped interceptions (without also counting the TDs that should have happened if the WR didn’t run the wrong route or the RB dropped a gimme TD) because it doesn’t fit their narrative.  

It’s maddening, and it won’t ever stop, not even when Josh wins a Lombardi.  Too many people with egos just can’t admit they’re wrong.

Yes I said “when.”

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

We are 5-2

You can only play who is on the schedule. Having said that here is the record of our opponents

W cardinals 2-4

W dolphins 2-4

W jaguars 2-5

L Ravens 4-2

L Texans 5-2

W Titans 1-5

No one criticizes Bills/McDermott/Allen for the inability to dominate the AFC least or win regular season games.  But so far this year there is scan evidence the Bills will be a to win four games in a row against playoff teams. anything is possible it is why they play the games. 

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He’s got a very decent running game to shoulder the load when things aren’t clicking

Not really. We rank 19th in rush YPA at 4.2... Cook only got 2.7 YPA yesterday and he was our main back when the game was still in doubt. Brady clearly wants to run the ball so we have a lot of attempts but the efficiency isn't there.

There is no Allen/Mahomes debate outside of Buffalo.

Honestly, there should be.  Its a similar thing to Brady vs Manning.  By all eyeball (and even many statistical) measures, Manning should have been considered a better QB.  Brady and the Patriots always seemed to get it done.  It became universally accepted at some point that Brady was automatically better.   QB comparisons are too-often team-comparisons.

Maybe he was?  Maybe Mahomes is.  Mahomes has that ice where a big game is on the line and he seems to get things done over and over....  All the injuries, short week, everything else, in the Divisional round, Allen had the ball in an advantageous position to put Mahomes and the Chiefs away.  He didn't (Diggs drop aside).  Seemed to make 2 poor decisions setting up an unpredictable Bass FG attempt and giving the Chiefs a lot of time if they needed to score.  If Mahomes was the Bills QB, I feel like he snakes that game out and the other side feels like they had their lunch stolen.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

If we played Houston or Cinci with the team we fielded yesterday, I think we win.  

KC and Baltimore should be considered better, but we can take both teams

I am rooting for the Steelers to take their division. Make the Ravens go into the playoffs a WC. Any potential playoff game would be in Buffalo. I would feel confident the Bills could win if that is the case. In Baltimore not so much. McDermott doesn't have one road win in the playoffs.

Not really a Mahomes/Allen post here…

The thing that concerns me the most if I’m a Chiefs fan is that they just came off their bye week and played like absolute dog-sht. 

Not counting them out of anything by any means just if that is indeed an indicator better hope they get the #1 seed so they’re at Arrowhead come January. 

They really are the new Patriots, in a division that they just steamroll every year. 

Mahomes’ W/L against those teams is on the same trajectory Brady’s was. Dominance. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Not really a Mahomes/Allen post here…

The thing that concerns me the most if I’m a Chiefs fan is that they just came off their bye week and played like absolute dog-sht. 

Not counting them out of anything by any means just if that is indeed an indicator better hope they get the #1 seed so they’re at Arrowhead come January. 

They really are the new Patriots, in a division that they just steamroll every year. 

Mahomes’ W/L against those teams is on the same trajectory Brady’s was. Dominance. 

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The Chiefs just went on the road against the 49ers and beat them by double digits even after giving up a garbage time TD, and they did it while performing at a C level. 

One of the hallmarks of Andy Reid is that his teams don't mash the accelerater until they really need to.  He's perfectly content with doing just enough to win. 

16 hours ago, MJS said:

The Chiefs have the best defense in the league. Their offense isn't particularly scary right now. But we've all seen how they can muddle through the season and then turn it on in the playoffs.

I don't really think the Mahomes vs Allen debate really matters. The Chiefs vs Bills debate matters more, and the Chiefs are a better, more consistent team than the Bills.

I'm just not sure who they're going to turn it on to, though maybe they make s trade.

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The Chiefs just went on the road against the 49ers and beat them by double digits even after giving up a garbage time TD, and they did it while performing at a C level. 

One of the hallmarks of Andy Reid is that his teams don't mash the accelerater until they really need to.  He's perfectly content with doing just enough to win. 

I can see this. If KC had played the Titans yesterday they would’ve knelt to end the game without scoring that last TD. Same with Pittsburgh’s last TD against the Jets. I’m not sure if it’s sportsmanship or Reid doesn’t want to show more of the playbook unless he has to but it’s definitely a theme with KC games.

• Like (+1) 1

Not allen mahomes related but I got a laugh out of Matt Ryan at halftime just all giddy about Mason Rudolph and saying "He has taken care of the ball"  He fumbled twice and threw an interception right to Espenesa who dropped it.  

Pretty funny how turnovers are such an arbitrary topic depending on who is committing them every week.  

Kirk Cousins apparently turned the ball over in 3 straight posessions yesterday, I haven't watched the game yet but that seems pretty important in that game.  

I mean I know Kirk is no Jake Cousins, his cousin and Yankee bullpen member who pitched his best in primetime in the biggest games recently but still.  

28 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I can see this. If KC had played the Titans yesterday they would’ve knelt to end the game without scoring that last TD. Same with Pittsburgh’s last TD against the Jets. I’m not sure if it’s sportsmanship or Reid doesn’t want to show more of the playbook unless he has to but it’s definitely a theme with KC games.

We’ve run out basically the entire second half  of many games the past few years lol I don’t buy this at all as a difference between the two teams or that Reid is perfectly content with KC looking sloppy throughout the regular season.  Every game is so important for seeding purposes, everyone is playing for their next contract.

I mean obviously we’re not in these guys heads so this is all opinion but there’s no way Reid/mahomes/that kc is offense is happy with how they’re playing I think that’s pretty safe to say 

this feels like a reach to cover up that offense having pretty obvious issues because it’s been so good years past 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

47 minutes ago, Billl said:

The wrong way? To your perspective, sure. I can see that with what you’ve said. 

The other argument, my perspective, is that they have got bigger issues that aren’t going to mitigated by “mashing the accelerator” come crunch time, seem average on the road and play their better football at home. On top of that, are in for an 11 game stretch before the end of the season. 

The 9ers, especially Purdy, beat themselves and gifted KC an ugly win. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo is in as good a position as ever to best KC in the playoffs.  Close your eyes and pick the rosters.  Im not sure you wouldn't pick Buffalos first.    

agreed. and the chiefs seem like they're content with their current offensive roster, which is probably a mistake. they entered the year singularly focused on fixing their WR corps, acknowledging that it's been awful for two straight years. now with brown and rashee out, this year's WRs is actually the worst in the league and the worst of the mahomes era, to go along with the worst version of kelce we've ever seen. pacecho is out and juju is as well (for now). they played the 49ers while lining up skyy moore (0 catches on the year), mecole hardman (who they cut and then traded back to get) and justin watson (6 catches). the left tackle is worst in the league and the right tackle is a human holding penalty. this chiefs offense has mahomes, a strong OL interior and little else.

When Mahomes has a bad game, more often than not, he still manages to pull a great play out of nowhere. He doesn't get emotional. He doesn't get down on himself. He doesn't get that dear in the headlights look or, if he does, it doesn't linger too long. If he was playing to Josh's standard against Houston in week five, I think he would have found something to at least take it to OT if not win. The Bills defense had the Texans offense under control for majority of the second half.

That's where he has an edge on Josh. Pointing out the coaching differences and general strength on defense is fair and accurate. But Mahomes re-calibrates quicker when things are going wrong. If Josh played like Mahomes yesterday, would he have mentally pulled himself together to drive the team down the field and get the required points? I'm not so sure. Josh is better than he was, but he isn't quite up to Mahomes' level yet. And I think that's why Mahomes isn't feeling the heat, along with the 6-0 v 5-2 record.

• Dislike 1

Worst Pass TD/INT rate this season

Anthony Richardson      3/6 (0.5)
Gardner Minshew           4/7(0.6)
Will Levis                          5/7(0.7)
Patrick Mahomes           6/8 (0.8)

• Haha (+1) 1