If Brian Daboll gets fired, would you take him as OC?

Doc

Offensive Coordinating  

299 members have voted

1. 1. If Brian Daboll gets fired would you take him back as OC?

• Hell yes!
    • Hell no, stick with Brady
    • No, go with someone else other than him or Brady

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Would you take Belichick as HC, Daboll as OC over this regime?

Well, in 2022, Belichick had an ex-defensive coordinator (Matt Patricia) calling the offensive plays, which ruined QB Mac Jones.

To add to that, Ole Bill told Patriots owner that QB Tom Brady was done as a productive NFL QB. The Patriots let Brady leave and he went on to Tampa Bay to win another Super Bowl with the Bucs! The 2023 New England Patriots went 4-13 promoting the Patriots owner to FIRE Belichick!

After this, I'd tend to think that the entire reason why the Patriots were so successful from 2001 (Brady's first year at QB) until he left the team (winning six SBs while going to nine) during that time was mostly GOAT QB Tom Brady.

There was a real reason why Belichick was fired in New England after such a long successful tenure. Then considering that Belichick was both HC & GM their entire roster is currently garbage...the 2024 Patriots are 1-6. There is also a real reason as to why no NFL team hired Ole Bill as their HC this past offseason.

Why some Buffalo Bills fans would want that bum over the 2nd winningest HC in the NFL in the last five years? (KC HC Andy Reid is the winningest)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Well, in 2022, Belichick had an ex-defensive coordinator (Matt Patricia) calling the offensive plays, which ruined QB Mac Jones.

To add to that, Ole Bill told Patriots owner that QB Tom Brady was done as a productive NFL QB. The Patriots let Brady leave and he went on to Tampa Bay to win another Super Bowl with the Bucs! The 2023 New England Patriots went 4-13 promoting the Patriots owner to FIRE Belichick!

After this, I'd tend to think that the entire reason why the Patriots were so successful from 2001 (Brady's first year at QB) until he left the team (winning six SBs while going to nine) during that time was mostly GOAT QB Tom Brady.

There was a real reason why Belichick was fired in New England after such a long successful tenure. Then considering that Belichick was both HC & GM their entire roster is currently garbage...the 2024 Patriots are 1-6. There is also a real reason as to why no NFL team hired Ole Bill as their HC this past offseason.

Why some Buffalo Bills fans would want that bum over the 2nd winningest HC in the NFL in the last five years? (KC HC Andy Reid is the winningest)

Maybe because that "bum" has

OIP.l8d3c174FpSQl37XhUzDWAAAAA?w=291&h=1

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see Josh liking a HC like Belichick as think a big reason him and McDermott got into a disagreement is Daboll is an old school call guys names that don't perform and Brady has mentioned Bill was similar. 

I think Josh just wants weapons and uniformity.  He trusts Dabol and would get that. Belichick would coach circles defensively around McD in the playoffs. But I'd keep Beane as GM and tell Bill he doesn't get to buy the groceries. 

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

brady won his first super bowls because of great coaching and defenses. the coaching eliminated and minimized his deficiencies. he then worked his butt off to get better and study the game. he also cheated on his pregnant girlfriend, cheated in the game many times, married a horse, made out with this son, left his family hanging for no reason to continue to play football.

belichick is a great hc.

Very hard pass.

My take on Daboll is that hes a total blowhard but a smart dude. Good guy to have at the table but if his voice gets too loud or he gets too close to the head of the table he starts to become a detriment to the rest of the staff. 

Part of being a HC or running an entire unit (OC/DC) is being a good leader and a quality people manager. NFL teams/staffs are way bigger than his skill set allows. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

In keeping with the logic of the OP, why not hire Daboll as the head coach, and then re-hire Dorsey as the offensive coordinator? A reunion of sorts!

Sure, then we would have the two coaches who currently have the 29th and 31st worst offenses in the NFL right now as our team leaders. But anything is better than McDermott and Brady, obviously.

Dorsey never got a fair shake here and was clearly far superior to Brady. He has since shown just what he is capable of doing as an OC in Cleveland. He is moving quickly toward his potential, showcasing his offensive mind and work ethic for all to see. Just as was so clear with the Bills,  notice how much the Cleveland offense improves from week to week, and so how much better they are now than just 7 weeks ago.

And both coaches will likely be available very soon, or at the latest, after the season ends.

And with no one there to bully poor Dabol into running the ball, and ditto for Dorsey, the term and use of complimentary football  will be stricken from all Bills media, messaging, and offenses forever more.

Win, win, win.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are backup level QBs, which is the point.  So is Jones. 

Tua, Murray, Herbert, Lawrence all got huge contracts...zero playoff wins.  But at least you can point to some points in their careers where they were putting up numbers.  Danny Dimes never has.  He's been putting up Tyrod Taylor on the Bills numbers.  Who offered Tyrod 40 million for that?

You can't with a straight face say "wow, Daniel Jones has really fallen off from his 2022 season.  His performance now is shocking".   Nor could you claim that the Giants are better off this year with Jones and Nabers than, say, Penix and a FA WR---especially after the Giants brain trust got rid of the offense when the let Barkley go.

I never once said Daniel Jones was  Tua, Murray, Herbert or Lawrence. (Lawrence does have a playoff win for the record though)

But in 2022 he had a decent year in a contract year which is why he got paid.

Why did tyrod never get 40 mil ? Because he was a journeyman on his 2nd team who didn't have as good a year as Daniel Jones in 2022 lol. You're kind of proving my point there .

He actually did get a fairly nice contract with the bills mind you, because in 2015 he did play at a reasonable level . (I know bills fans don't want to accept that)

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are backup level QBs, which is the point.  So is Jones. 

Tua, Murray, Herbert, Lawrence all got huge contracts...zero playoff wins.  But at least you can point to some points in their careers where they were putting up numbers.  Danny Dimes never has.  He's been putting up Tyrod Taylor on the Bills numbers.  Who offered Tyrod 40 million for that?

You can't with a straight face say "wow, Daniel Jones has really fallen off from his 2022 season.  His performance now is shocking".   Nor could you claim that the Giants are better off this year with Jones and Nabers than, say, Penix and a FA WR---especially after the Giants brain trust got rid of the offense when the let Barkley go.

Playoff wins, and wins generally ... are NOT QB stats.

Wins are TEAM stats. 

The actual name of the stat that is often shortened to "QB Record" or "QBrec" is really called "TEAM Record in Games Started by this QB (Regular Season)".

Herbert and probably Lawrence are worth huge contracts. On good teams they're likely to be capable of playing QB at a level that would make the teams capable of winning a championship. Maybe even a hypothetical Tua without concussion problems, although I'm not convinced of that yet.

Jones may get there at some point, but it's looking less likely as time passes.

On 10/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, ghostwriter said:

If not as our OC, I would hope that he would be reabsorbed in some capacity in terms of our coaching staff.

I don’t think he liked working with McD and that seemed very obvious. You don’t recreate conflict , you move forward to newer insights and visions.  They had their window to go to the SB and you don’t go back to thinking daboll suddenly will be some second coming of Andy Reid. , esp when his latest offense is pretty bad.  I’ve owned business’s before or been in hiring/ firing  positions before , and while daboll wasn’t fired , the relationship was not good.   It’s  such an uncomfortable feeling. Just like an ex , you can go back but the underlying issues eventually return and it’s almost impossible to recreate that magic. 

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I never once said Daniel Jones was  Tua, Murray, Herbert or Lawrence. (Lawrence does have a playoff win for the record though)

But in 2022 he had a decent year in a contract year which is why he got paid.

Why did tyrod never get 40 mil ? Because he was a journeyman on his 2nd team who didn't have as good a year as Daniel Jones in 2022 lol. You're kind of proving my point there .

He actually did get a fairly nice contract with the bills mind you, because in 2015 he did play at a reasonable level . (I know bills fans don't want to accept that)

Proving your point??

Tyrod (who had a similarly "decent" year in 2017), led the Bills to their first playoff game in almost 2 decades.  He didn't get 40 million because the Bills FO understood that those numbers are backup QB numbers (drafting the next franchise QB would be the following spring) and only 3 people on earth are dumb enough to pay that much for that mediocre play from a QB who had been bad the 3 years previously.  

So, to recap, The Bills didn't pay their Daniel Jones level QB (even though they broke the drought with him) because they knew they could do better with a rookie in the upcoming draft.  The Giants brain trust, in contrast, decided to wildly overpay/re-sign their barely mediocre QB because he won a playoff game, instead of drafting his sorely needed replacement.

They have been 3-10 with him starting since they resigned him--2 years ago.. He's as terrible as ever, which makes this a completely avoidable error. 

On 10/20/2024 at 6:08 PM, Doc said:

His time in NJ might be short.  Would you take him back?

Listen, I like Dabs especially not only in his prowess, but a nice plus he’s a Frannies guy like me.

I agree stick with Brady.  If he doesn’t make an impact this year (god I hope not), then Dabs will always be available next year.  He wouldn’t go from HC to less than an OC.  So to me this means he’ll probably sit out the rest of the year, and with a full year under Brady’s belt, we’ll know if he is the best choice.

Let Brady start making an impact with a Cooper weapons offense.