Why is Nobody Talking About Mahomes' Interceptions this Season?

ROCBillsBeliever

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

They guy has 3 Super Bowls, Josh has none. Have to eliminate KC from the playoffs or win the Super Bowl before this narrative changes significantly 

If Allen’s defense played like KC’s defense in the playoffs and vice-versa what do you think the SB record would be? For funzies swap kicker performance.

Two things the QB has zero impact on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The narratives will likely never change. Lamar has 2 MVPs (one last year when he did really nothing), so he will get the benefit of the doubt. Mahomes has rings. Burrow was number 1 overall and dresses cool and beat KC in the playoffs. And Allen is a TURNOVER MACHINE. It's stuck in people's heads at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

They haven't looked like a 5-0 team since Rice injury 

They have a 14-3 defense still though. Combine that with Mahomes and they will still win a lot of games. They have to be the favorite for the one seed. Texans and Ravens all hoping we can hand them their first loss in a few weeks. Or second if the Broncos can somehow pull off a miracle. They do tend to play them tough. 

3 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Patrick Mahomes:

6 TD

6 INT

57.3 QBR

Josh Allen:

10 TD

0 INT (Z-E-R-O...)

Why are none of the NFL talking heads decrying Mahomes as an inaccurate passer?

Why is there no narrative about how he has regressed?

Why aren't NFL talking heads criticizing Mahomes' lack of accuracy, or his sub-pedestrian numbers to this point in the season.

Oh... Wait... They still have a stat to hang their hats on...

Mahomes: 1,235 yards

Allen: 1,160 yards

So, I guess this year the measuring stick for NFL MVP is passing yards... 

Cool.

Narratives bro, narratives. Plus talking heads never bring it up when they’re wrong. 

• Agree 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Vague Title]
9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Narratives bro, narratives. Plus talking heads never bring it up when they’re wrong. 

Oh, I 100% agree. But I also feel like there are talking heads out there who are still pitching the anti-Josh narratives because they thought Wrong Josh would be a HOFer, and JA17 would be a bust. They push these narratives to "make" their mistaken takes on Allen "right"...

That's what I hate. 

10 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

The respect is coming. 

The stats are too good. 1 Super Bowl and all narratives shift. 

I really hope so.

• Like (+1) 2

• ROCBillsBeliever changed the title to Why is Nobody Talking About Mahomes' Interceptions this Season?
4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

So, I guess this year the measuring stick for NFL MVP is passing yards... 

Cool.

or the measuring stick is wins and the chiefs are 6-0.

the narrative is also finding a way to win in clutch time without their number 1 wideout and a HOF tight end who has finally aged.

honestly the MVP discussion is so much a get ratings for my show/podcast/gambling segment it’s become easy for me to ignore.

Edited by iccrewman112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Fans are sick of Mahomes. And the casual fan is on to the preferential treatment shown by the refs leading to multiple questionable wins this season alone for the Chiefs. 

The Chiefs record has an asterisk to it. The surface level knee jerk reactions to why Allen doesn’t get the credit he deserves, don’t survive close scrutiny. 

The answer to OP’s question is simple. 

Allen came in with an EXTREME bust label, and he went to Buffalo. 

It’s one thing to admit you were wrong about a bust. It’s a whole other thing to triple down on that bust and then watch that bust become the best QB in the league and an all-timer. 

It’s credibility destroying. There is a movement to prevent that from happening by very selfish and insecure people. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He had a bad half against Houston. Otherwise I think Josh is playing the best football of his life, especially given the context in which he is being asked to succeed. He has had the odd mistake here and there but he has been pretty faultless for 6 and a half of seven games.

Josh has been fine all year and at time great, but did you expect a lot of publicity to go his way the last three weeks? He's 52%, 3 TD's 0 INT's, and 175 yards per game. Prior to Baltimore he was getting MVP nods left and right. We played awful against Baltimore and Houston and the media hype train in influenced by outcomes just as much as individual play.  He's playing better than Mahomes right now, 100%. Hell, just about everybody is. What do Bills fans want? ESPN to proclaim Allen is the definitive best QB in the world? Does Lamar have any say in that? I know. Josh has bad defense, coaching, no WR's. Josh is always fighting uphill while no other player in the NFL ever had things going against them. These threads about Allen finally getting respect are just so boring. He's recognized as one of the very best. What do some Bills fans want past that? 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

as soon as Josh throws a single interception, the “turnover Josh”

narrative will be back. The guy can’t shake it.

He doesn't even need to throw a pick apparently. In last week's game Troy Aikman at one point said something like "Josh is getting lucky...defenders have been dropping the ball, he should have like 5 or 6 interceptions already this season." I mean, what load of crap is that. First of all, every Qb has some bad balls that probably could have been picked but the defender dropped them. Every QB. And guess what, they don't count as interceptions. Except for with Josh apparently. And secondly, he may have had a couple of close calls, but not enough to have 5 or 6 picks. He's been protecting the ball very well this year. Obviously Aikman does no research for his job...just parroting narratives.

[Aside: Today's broadcast team was so much better than Buck and Aikman. It's funny to me that on almost all of the networks, their #1  teams are usually my least favorite announcing team they have.]

Mahomes has definitely earned a pass from the media for a few bad games (due to the Super Bowl runs). But, I agree with the OP. If those numbers were reversed, at least half the media would be spinning negative narratives on Josh. Sugar-High Josh, Turnover Machine, he's playing Hero Ball, he's trying to do it all by himself, he's pressing, etc. I honestly do not remember another elite QB that it took this long for people to accept him as such.

I mean Lamar was questioned as much as Josh during- and post-draft, but after his first MVP year, total acceptance. Lamar is now a two-time MVP and praised, while Josh still gets questioned, why? When over the last 5 years:

Total Yards*            Total TDs*

Lamar Jackson          19, 214                      118

Josh Allen                  24, 003                    164

(*Includes rushing as well as passing)

And unlike with Mahomes, if you are going to bring in wins and playoff games:

Regular season record      Playoff record     Furthest advance

Lamar Jackson              62-21                           2-5                 1 AFC Championship appearance

Josh Allen                      67-32                           5-5                 1 AFC Championship appearance

• Thank you (+1) 2