1st vs 2nd half of games

Einstein

The contrast is really crazy. We seem to need not only to be punched in the mouth but knocked down a few times before we start fighting. 

Some of it is obviously play calling. Our initial game plans suck every week, and then we make good adjustments...usually.

I also think, at least defensively, we're built to play with a lead. Biggest problem to start games is stopping the run. We've been better in second half of games where we've taken the lead and then pressured opposing QBs.

Edited by VW82

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No different than a lot of teams.

Isn't the first year it's been happening. It's not some new phenomenon.

Thats actually not true and I am going to post a thread this week with the full breakdown on how we are a statistical anomaly with how different we are playing in the 2nd half than first. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Thats actually not true and I am going to post a thread this week with the full breakdown on how we are a statistical anomaly with how different we are playing in the 2nd half than first. 

There are plenty of instances of this over the last few seasons with this team.

They did this against Baltimore a few years ago being down 20-3 at the half and winning 23-20. Multiple other instances.

In 2022 Bills used to jump out to big leads at the half and then hold on for dear life in the 2nd half.

You are trying way too hard.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve definitely noticed we’ve been a good adjustments at halftime team for a while now.  

Tennessee going for it and getting stuffed on that 4th down to open the half changed the game.   

I think we needed to figure out some things with Cooper then we settled in.

It’s just simple.  When Allen plays great we are near impossible to beat.  

This defense is a year long work in progress and it’s had only one bad half - vs Baltimore and a busted play vs Houston.

Go get Myles Garrett - if everyone stays healthy we’re winning the SB.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There are plenty of instances of this over the last few seasons with this team.

They did this against Baltimore a few years ago being down 20-3 at the half and winning 23-20. Multiple other instances.

In 2022 Bills used to jump out to big leads at the half and then hold on for dear life in the 2nd half.

You said no different than other teams - perhaps you meant other Bills teams.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You are trying way too hard

This is something people say in an attempt to denigrate another person who has done work that disagrees with them.

Do better.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You said no different than other teams - perhaps you meant other Bills teams.

This is something people say in an attempt to denigrate another person who has done work that disagrees with them.

Do better.

I've seen it plenty of times this year...I mean Minnesota jumped out to a 28-0 lead over GB and held on to win 31-29.

I'm guessing you aren't watching a lot of other football?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I've seen it plenty of times this year...I mean Minnesota jumped out to a 28-0 lead over GB and held on to win 31-29.

You’re mixing up single occurrences and trends.

You can hook up with a 10/10 once in a few year span. But you are not consistently taking home a 10/10.

Teams across the NFL will on times come back from large deficit, or display drastically different success rates in first half vs second half, but they don’t do it every week.

That is what is shocking about what we are doing. It has become a statistical trend. And you will see it in the comparison of the Bills vs other teams. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

I'm guessing you aren't watching a lot of other football?

I’m telling you that I have the statistical data that shows our outlier performance as compared to other teams and you still make comments like this? Genuinely surprising when people dig their heels in.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I won't start a thread about that, but I can't help myself here.

Many TBD posters should be ashamed by their GDT performance. So much hate and unreasonably negative comments if we start bad. We can't run and defend screens, can't stop anybody, unprepared again, everybody sucks, blah blah blah.

It's like some people never watched the game before.

But all those things are true

17 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

But all those things are true

I don't think they are true...I think the Bills are used to being able to defend deep and still give up virtually nothing underneath either.

They can't do that anymore...at least not yet until the younger players and new pieces on defense get a better handle on things.

They are usually willing to give up some runs but typically can stop it well enough to force teams into third and long enough to be effective.

So far they haven't been able to do that...but they have been very good when they start bringing extra pressure...which is probably what they should start doing more often.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

You’re mixing up single occurrences and trends.

You can hook up with a 10/10 once in a few year span. But you are not consistently taking home a 10/10.

Teams across the NFL will on times come back from large deficit, or display drastically different success rates in first half vs second half, but they don’t do it every week.

That is what is shocking about what we are doing. It has become a statistical trend. And you will see it in the comparison of the Bills vs other teams. 

I’m telling you that I have the statistical data that shows our outlier performance as compared to other teams and you still make comments like this? Genuinely surprising when people dig their heels in.

Can't wait to see the analysis.  Are you seeing this in the (relatively small) sample size of 2024, or is this something that spans a few seasons?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Thoughts on the difference in Bills play in the 1st and 2nd half of games? It is shockingly different.

In a way it reminds me of the Patriots teams when they'd start the season slow and gear up for the playoffs. The Bills do the same thing except in individual games.

Use the first quarter to feel the other team out, start to press in the second quarter, and then turn it on down the stretch in the third and close it out in the fourth.