10/20/24 Game 7 GAMEDAY Bills vs Titans post game thread

BuffaloBill

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Considering the beginning of games is usually pretty well scripted based on the installed game plan, it sounds like the coaches need to figure out how to kickstart themselves.

That’s in line with what I meant, maybe I wasn’t clear.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KCNC said:

It's probably been discussed, but can someone tell me with the Titans did not lose a timeout on the challenge on the Kincaid catch near the endzone?

Because he fumbled the ball forward the play / ball position was moved back

so technically the refs missed / messed up that portion of the call so they don’t lose the timeout since something changed 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wait so Salah is gone and they brought in Davante Adams and they *still* lost? What's the problem now Aaron?

The problem the REAL problem has been the same the past 25 years. Let us (Bills fans) give thanks to this man for screwing up his team.

OIF.zrBeJVgZVKL7paAsCsWrsQ?w=337&h=180&c

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I missed the first half which sounds like a good thing! Mcd needs to figure out these slow starts. 

It's almost like there's no team-specific game planning. I'm sure there is, but for instance: Baltimore designed a play to specifically beat what they were positive the Bills would run out there on defense the very first play, and you remember the result. The Flaming Thumbtacks felt like they could attack the flats and did so over and over and over until they seppuku'd 4th-and-1.

On the other side of the ball, the thing that the Daboll offense had was that every play seemed designed to get first down yardage. If you don't do it on first or second down, who cares, we'll do it on 3rd. Allen gives the capability to be explosive on any play, but even back in 2020 with a WR group that was roughly equivalent, guys were schemed open all over the place against man defense (mesh concept deep overs anyone?) and the Bills were a chunk offense. The Brady offense IS small-ball as the GDT alluded to, what percentage of first downs were runs over guard? Scheming for 3 yards a play leaves you 4th and 1 you know. The margin for error is minimal - the entire first half was: one play fails, and the possession fails.

McDermott gameday decisions are still baffling, taking the ball and facing a very tough defense out the gate and going 3 and out set the tone for the first half precisely as the Titans dingdong decision to gamble 4th and 1 from their own 40 in a 3 point game with an entire half to go. So in that sense McD got out-McD'd at least. I will caveat with: if the decision to give the Titans the option for the ball to start the 3rd was made with the idea to take the wind in the 4th then I'm for it - although I've seen McD end up against the wind in the 2nd AND 4th too many times. I admit I didn't pay close attention to that aspect as I was gone on about the Bills seeming like they had no plan in the first half.

Ok enough rant.

Cooper brought exactly what we'd hoped and while the 4th down stop was the turning point, the TD he caught was the avalance starting down the hill. The Bills have been getting stopped because 1) small ball, small margin of error, and 2) inability to beat man coverage. That TD specifically was beating the pants off the DB with just a body language shade to show outside leverage and then going to the post winning the route immediately on the break. Nice. The next few possessions showed that a Daboll-era styled downfield, explosive attack is possible with the gathered personnel. Maybe they are dumbing it down with Josh-as-Alex-Smith until they actually need it. I hope so. LFG.

Quick hitters:

I don't know who posted the Belichick quote about starting halftime adjustments in the first half, but someone better get that sage wisdom to Clappy & Babby. 

I was highly skeptical of DeWayne Carter in the 3rd in the draft, felt like that wasn't value there as apart from ephemeral "leadership" I didn't see elite traits, but that's also what I thought about Bernard. He's been a revelation the last 2 games and turned the game on the 4th down stop.

Speaking of Bernard, was he going for the Kellen Winslow gameday record for injury stoppages? My ankle twinged on that replay.

Rousseau had an Ed Jones Too Tall type game, RT had no answer for the speed, power, length or any combination thereof.

Rudolph was what he's always been - effective on script but a disaster once he gets smacked a couple times and his eyes drop.

Spencer Brown's seek-and-destroy missions on the 2nd and 3rd level always makes me smile.

Codrington on that one return... it worked out but didn't they cut Hardy for stuff like that?

I don't know they can afford Knox's contract for his role. But I also don't think they can cut Josh's bro.

Titans DB were like a swarm of Ahmad Gardners with gecko fingers. Just hold everyone on every route, they can't call it all right? Or if it's the Bills, ever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KCNC said:

It's probably been discussed, but can someone tell me with the Titans did not lose a timeout on the challenge on the Kincaid catch near the endzone?

the challenge resulted in a change of call. The fumble led to a yard back on the reception 

not what they challenged for - but intent doesn’t come into it. They challenged the ruling and the ruling was incorrect. Even if the catch was fine 

21 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

It's almost like there's no team-specific game planning. I'm sure there is, but for instance: Baltimore designed a play to specifically beat what they were positive the Bills would run out there on defense the very first play, and you remember the result. The Flaming Thumbtacks felt like they could attack the flats and did so over and over and over until they seppuku'd 4th-and-1.

On the other side of the ball, the thing that the Daboll offense had was that every play seemed designed to get first down yardage. If you don't do it on first or second down, who cares, we'll do it on 3rd. Allen gives the capability to be explosive on any play, but even back in 2020 with a WR group that was roughly equivalent, guys were schemed open all over the place against man defense (mesh concept deep overs anyone?) and the Bills were a chunk offense. The Brady offense IS small-ball as the GDT alluded to, what percentage of first downs were runs over guard? Scheming for 3 yards a play leaves you 4th and 1 you know. The margin for error is minimal - the entire first half was: one play fails, and the possession fails.

McDermott gameday decisions are still baffling, taking the ball and facing a very tough defense out the gate and going 3 and out set the tone for the first half precisely as the Titans dingdong decision to gamble 4th and 1 from their own 40 in a 3 point game with an entire half to go. So in that sense McD got out-McD'd at least. I will caveat with: if the decision to give the Titans the option for the ball to start the 3rd was made with the idea to take the wind in the 4th then I'm for it - although I've seen McD end up against the wind in the 2nd AND 4th too many times. I admit I didn't pay close attention to that aspect as I was gone on about the Bills seeming like they had no plan in the first half.

Ok enough rant.

Cooper brought exactly what we'd hoped and while the 4th down stop was the turning point, the TD he caught was the avalance starting down the hill. The Bills have been getting stopped because 1) small ball, small margin of error, and 2) inability to beat man coverage. That TD specifically was beating the pants off the DB with just a body language shade to show outside leverage and then going to the post winning the route immediately on the break. Nice. The next few possessions showed that a Daboll-era styled downfield, explosive attack is possible with the gathered personnel. Maybe they are dumbing it down with Josh-as-Alex-Smith until they actually need it. I hope so. LFG.

Quick hitters:

I don't know who posted the Belichick quote about starting halftime adjustments in the first half, but someone better get that sage wisdom to Clappy & Babby. 

I was highly skeptical of DeWayne Carter in the 3rd in the draft, felt like that wasn't value there as apart from ephemeral "leadership" I didn't see elite traits, but that's also what I thought about Bernard. He's been a revelation the last 2 games and turned the game on the 4th down stop.

Speaking of Bernard, was he going for the Kellen Winslow gameday record for injury stoppages? My ankle twinged on that replay.

Rousseau had an Ed Jones Too Tall type game, RT had no answer for the speed, power, length or any combination thereof.

Rudolph was what he's always been - effective on script but a disaster once he gets smacked a couple times and his eyes drop.

Spencer Brown's seek-and-destroy missions on the 2nd and 3rd level always makes me smile.

Codrington on that one return... it worked out but didn't they cut Hardy for stuff like that?

I don't know they can afford Knox's contract for his role. But I also don't think they can cut Josh's bro.

Titans DB were like a swarm of Ahmad Gardners with gecko fingers. Just hold everyone on every route, they can't call it all right? Or if it's the Bills, ever.

It wasn't baffling at all...they wanted the wind advantage for the 4th quarter.  Sometimes people simply don't realize all the factors that go into decisions.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3