Week 7 - Around the NFL

Sojourner

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As predicted, the crew is burying the Jets. Rex with an epic rant. Damien Woody saying "they have a decent roster, but no team".

You love to see it!

I find this all hilarious, especially given who is delivering the criticisms. Dancing on the Jets grave is almost as enjoyable as savoring a Bills blowout win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I find this all hilarious, especially given who is delivering the criticisms. Dancing on the Jets grave is almost as enjoyable as savoring a Bills blowout win.

He is petitioning for the job. You better believe it. If I could get someone to offer me a price I'd have ten dollars on Rex as the next Head Coach of the Jets. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The injuries keep coming for KC. Not that it makes any kind of difference. The only team that can lose 4 starters and still be the clear Super Bowl favorites.

Sucks. This kid was one of my sleeper guys in my draft thread coming out of Washington State. Been a really good player for them, especially as a 7th round selection.

Just seen some clips of Rodgers' presser. The guy is such a POS (not that this was ever in doubt). To be fair he did point the finger at himself for a moment, saying he has to play better, then he goes on to say how there's zero energy despite it being national TV, "I live for these games myself".

Ah, so what you're saying is you live for these game and therefore have lots of energy, but the rest of the team lacks energy. That must mean it's everyone's fault except yours!

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

What has happened to "parity" in the NFL?   

There 9 teams with 2 wins or less, a handful of whom are 1-6!!

With the salary cap and the draft positions, how can teams be so bad?  

Its always been like this, imo. The crap teams will play each other and scavenge some wins a lot of these 2 win teams will be 5-6 win teams by the end.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is petitioning for the job. You better believe it. If I could get someone to offer me a price I'd have ten dollars on Rex as the next Head Coach of the Jets. 

41 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There's no emoji that covers both "laugh" and "agree."

I have this mental image of Wrecks the carnival barker, and here comes Woody the rube.

"These are professional athletes, Woody!  They are plenty 'self-motivated'!  My brother Rob and I will be into practice about 10 a.m., we'll talk a little strategy, and have them meet with their respective coaches.  If you need me, I am here until about 3 or 3:30."

55 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Jerry Jones, Woody Johnson, Jimmy Haslam

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think that there's a growing sentiment among sports analysts/media types that echo Ryan's sentiments.   Kyle Brandt brought it up last week after the Jests lost to the Bills: the Jests have plenty of stars but they aren't a very good team.   Somebody else -- maybe Maurice Jones-Drew --  also mentioned something similar after last night's loss to Pitt. They're not a good team despite all the stars on their rosters because they seem more interested in themselves than in doing what they need to do to win football games.   I think that Rodgers' throwing Mike Williams under the bus after the Bills game is a perfect example.

7 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

The quality of ownership.  The billionaires who own the NFL teams have lots of reasons for owning football teams and lots of ways of managing their teams, both in style and quality.  Some are astute while others are just lucky.  Others think they're football geniuses and are determined to prove it.  All teams have poor seasons.  When a team is a perpetual bottom feeder for years and years, the problem probably starts at the top of the food chain.

Management/administration.   Owners hire the GM (unless they want to be the GM themselves) who then hires coaches, scouts, etc and eventually selects players.  GMs also hire the numbers guys who manage the cap, etc.  Teams that regularly make the playoffs always have good management -- and vice versa.

Coaching.  In a league where the talent differential between the best teams and the worst is really very small, the quality of the coaching -- not just the HC but assistants -- is often the primary determinant of how the teams perform on the field.

Luck.   The numerous injuries to star players this season has demonstrated how the loss of key personnel can impact a team's season. 

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that there's a growing sentiment among sports analysts/media types that echo Ryan's sentiments.   Kyle Brandt brought it up last week after the Jests lost to the Bills: the Jests have plenty of stars but they aren't a very good team.   Somebody else -- maybe Maurice Jones-Drew --  also mentioned something similar after last night's loss to Pitt. They're not a good team despite all the stars on their rosters because they seem more interested in themselves than in doing what they need to do to win football games.   I think that Rodgers' throwing Mike Williams under the bus after the Bills game is a perfect example.

In a way, it's kinda what Dion Dawkins said about them last season when he attacked their defensive players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jared Goff is on an insane heater at the moment.

Over the past 3 games:
Passer rating 153.1

Cmp% 85.3
Yards 887
TDs 7
INT 0
Yards per attempt 13

Likely not sustainable, but if he keeps this up he'll win MVP going away. If the Bills can't win the Super Bowl I'd like the Lions to win it.

• Like (+1) 1

It might be a good idea for the NFL not to put the Giants/Jets on primetime.

Ben Fawkes on X: "The New York Jets and NY Giants are now a combined 4-32 SU playing prime-time night games since 2019 👀😱" / X

week 8 - Giants at Steelers (MNF)

week 9 - Texans at Jets (TNF)

week 10 - Giants at Panthers (Germany)

week 11 - Colts at Jets (SNF)

week 13 - Giants at Cowboys (Thanksgiving)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It might be a good idea for the NFL not to put the Giants/Jets on primetime.

Ben Fawkes on X: "The New York Jets and NY Giants are now a combined 4-32 SU playing prime-time night games since 2019 👀😱" / X

week 8 - Giants at Steelers (MNF)

week 9 - Texans at Jets (TNF)

week 10 - Giants at Panthers (Germany)

week 11 - Colts at Jets (SNF)

week 13 - Giants at Cowboys (Thanksgiving)

That’s a disgusting 4 week stretch of prime time lol

Edited by Sojourner