Fair catch on an onside kick?

EasternOHBillsFan

In the UCLA/Rutgers game today, Rutgers attempted an onside kick down by 3. The kick went 10 yards, fielded by a UCLA player, and returned for a TD.

Instead of it being 42-32, the refs said one of the UCLA players SIGNALED A FAIR CATCH while the ball was in the air, and the TD didn't count, 1st down UCLA and they ran out the clock.

This is ridiculous... there should be no fair catches on onside kicks. That is the first time I have ever seen that nonsense!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

It's been a rule for a while. My Pokes did it a couple of years ago against Texas Tech... 

Need some clarification...

Looked like that worked because the kicker chipped it instead of topping it and making it bounce high off the ground. I wonder if it was topped and hit the ground first if it would still be fair catchable?

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Need some clarification...

Looked like that worked because the kicker chipped it instead of topping it and making it bounce high off the ground. I wonder if it was topped and hit the ground first if it would still be fair catchable?

I think it doesn't matter. I don't have the run in front of me but they talked about it after the Ok State/Tech game that "why not fair catch it on every online kick" and then they talked about needing to change the rule because it would mean you'd never get an onside kick.

According to the NCAA rule book, “a fair catch of a free kick is a catch by a Team B player who has made a valid signal during an untouched free kick.” Additionally, the rule book states that “during a free kick, a player of the receiving team in position to receive the ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked directly off the tee.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-state-player-uses-fair-catch-to-exploit-rule-book-and-ruin-a-texas-tech-onside-kick-202747283.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADwcFLR2SdnxeNPspmaziXC5vsrqH1i6Vw1-KJYotVLYNjNKq6BgUnqW0rIYJTNiFLuodq_BbbpWkIin05K7LjRulKL4ysxUsqq9zXOrkrui_gOAqUkW3gRD9vMg3jO3sCmQuhn4O0YTJ-YyW4kFY5ndlCmOzASIvwRm3waFtY5R