“Penalty will be accessed on the kickoff” so what?

stevestojan

With the new XFL kick off setup that’s been implemented in real football, doesn’t any penalty that is to be accessed on the kickoff become moot? 

The stupid “zone of must return” stays the same, but the kicker might be closer? That’s not an advantage at all. And if he’s farther back, he can still kick it into the end zone. 

An I missing something or was this just not considered with this Busch league new kickoff setup? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

With the new XFL kick off setup that’s been implemented in real football, doesn’t any penalty that is to be accessed on the kickoff become moot? 

The stupid “zone of must return” stays the same, but the kicker might be closer? That’s not an advantage at all. And if he’s farther back, he can still kick it into the end zone. 

An I missing something or was this just not considered with this Busch league new kickoff setup? 

Accessed?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah.....with the new kickoff rules, these penalties don't mean anything.  What they should do is asses them when the change of possession happens.  Touchback?  Add on the penalty.  Return?  Fine.....  Asses the penalty after the return.  I guess you would have to come up with something special if a return is taken back for a TD to keep the points off the board, but you can figure something out for that situation.  Be yeah.....penalties "assed one the kickoff" are pretty much dead at this point.

Yeah the NFL didn't think of this loophole.  And if they did, their solution is very bad.

I agree with those saying to "tack it on" to end of kickoff result.  So touchback comes to the 45.  Return and a holding penalty, net +5 from spot of foul...etc.

Return for TD can nullify the penalty.

This should be a rule modification that gets implemented, as soon as possible.

18 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Yeah.....with the new kickoff rules, these penalties don't mean anything.  What they should do is asses them when the change of possession happens.  Touchback?  Add on the penalty.  Return?  Fine.....  Asses the penalty after the return.  I guess you would have to come up with something special if a return is taken back for a TD to keep the points off the board, but you can figure something out for that situation.  Be yeah.....penalties "assed one the kickoff" are pretty much dead at this point.

They were pretty much dead before as well, though. Kickers still kicked them through the end zone. I think we should move the kickoff back to where it originally was. Moving the kickoff spot really is the source of all the problems with the play.

• Agree 1

I feel like an unsportsmanlike penalty should not effect the entire team. If you have a player that does something ridiculous, and it was egregious, they should be removed from the game for X amount of time.

This would require splitting the unsportsmanlike penalty into tiers, much like they have in basketball. We can ever pull from hockey here, and time the game clock for penalty minutes.

I get this adds a layer of judgement to the refs, but they’re already heavily involved influencing the game. We might as well limit it with letting them dictate the kind of call they deem fit. 

Examples: 

Dead ball foul - making contact with a referee - player removed 5 minutes of game clock.

Swing a player to the ground by his face mask after the play? - 15 minutes of game clock. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

They were pretty much dead before as well, though. Kickers still kicked them through the end zone. I think we should move the kickoff back to where it originally was. Moving the kickoff spot really is the source of all the problems with the play.

The kick off should be from the fifteen yard line, this would create far more returns, which after all is what they are trying to achieve in the first place, imo the twenty yard line is not far enough back to stop the endless touch backs, again jmo,

4 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Low key terrible play by Bass was kicking the ball into the endzone after the Bills got the 15 yard bump and kicked from the 50. You could see he tried to place it in the field of play but hit it too hard. Just stupid. 

As for it being a meaningless penalty, it's actually not if a coach had any kind of brain/balls. Getting 15 yards and kicking off from the 50? You should always attempt an onside kick. Likely case is the other team gets it around their own 40. If you kick it into the endzone, the other team gets it at the 30 anyway. For a difference of 10 yards or so, it's well worth trying to get the ball back.

Onside rules won’t allow it unless it’s he 4th quarter and the team trying it must be losing.

• Agree 1