Dawkins, Johnson fined after Jets game

Draconator

59 minutes ago, Draconator said:

That Johnson penalty was odd; he was trying to get around and under a guy to get to the ball carrier.  How is that a “block”?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

That Johnson penalty was odd; he was trying to get around and under a guy to get to the ball carrier.  How is that a “block”?

I've literally never seen that call before, and a fine to boot? There was absolutely nothing malicious about what TJ was doing on that play. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Bass should have been fined for the atrocious kicking job 

Bass missed two kicks.  The atrocious miss was actually blocked.  Not that that's not at least partially on Bass, who needs to get enough elevation to prevent a block, but it's also on the O line.  

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Did anyone else think TJ slipped? You can see him lose his footing just as he is hit or just before.  I didn’t think it was intentional.

ironically, in an earlier game, a DE was congratulated by the announcers for taking on two lineman in the same manner, but clearly intentionally, and no flag 

edit- apparently some posters aren’t aware.  YJ was called for a chop block.  Essentially diving at someone’s legs.  It’s illegal to do on offense when a defender is engaged with another blocker.  It’s also illegal for a defender to take on a block by diving at the blockers legs.  As I said above, I thought TJ took on the block with his shoulder and slipped.  Not too surprised it was called on the field, very surprised by the fine.

Edited by peterpan

4 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I've literally never seen that call before, and a fine to boot? There was absolutely nothing malicious about what TJ was doing on that play. 

You see it on the edge and that’s where it was made for. CBs were just going super low on big OL and hurting them in the process.

I thought Taron got low but since first contact by TE was with helmet on tarons back then it should’ve been a no call. Taron has nowhere to maneuver and didn’t chop the blockers knees. Just got under him. 

3 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

A few years ago the league made it illegal for little defenders to cut the legs out from under massive O linemen coming downfield.  The defender is supposed to take on the lineman, giving up 100 pounds or so.  This was done to protect the linemen from injury.

Rapp made a brilliant play in a similar situation.  He slipped past the Jets lineman and made a tackle.  The play was so good because it's so hard for DBs not to get blocked out of the play.

I don't think Johnson deserves the fine, but the league is definitely trying to send a message -- DBs, don't even think about it.

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

How much did the refs get fined for that bullsheisse they were calling on the field?

None?

Then I don't care 

We NEVER hear about punishment levied against officials.  The league handles those matters behind closed doors.

There was widespread disgust from sports writers at the way the officials lost control of that game.  

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Over officiating to a new penalty that was meant to not intentionally wipe out the OL or blocker. I don’t know how a DB is supposed to play… anything high is called and low to blow up the OL pull is called. So you’re essentially supposed to get run over .. that’s ok and meets player safety. You know like games on Thursdays and in London on concrete so the soccer teams don’t get pissed. Player safety is priority 😂 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

A few years ago the league made it illegal for little defenders to cut the legs out from under massive O linemen coming downfield.  The defender is supposed to take on the lineman, giving up 100 pounds or so.  This was done to protect the linemen from injury.

Thanks. Best explanation I've seen so far.

16 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Rapp made a brilliant play in a similar situation.  He slipped past the Jets lineman and made a tackle.  The play was so good because it's so hard for DBs not to get blocked out of the play.

Douglas made a similar play, maybe it was the same one you are talking about. He got real low and dipped out of the OT’s path and made the stop. Tremendous play.