Greg Cosell on OBL: the need for an X receiver and staying within the structure of the pass game

Beck Water

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/greg-cosell-amari-cooper-s-impact-titans-bills-in-depth-preview

Thought this was a very interesting segment.  Cosell is always very analytical and measured in what he says.    But he verges on being critical of both the route structure of the Bills passing game AND of Josh Allen for bailing from the pocket "prematurely" and not playing within the structure of the pass game.

He also leads off with some comments about the need for an actual X receiver in order to have a consistent passing game in the NFL and how the Bills have lacked that.

Suggest you give it a listen and wondering if anyone would like to discuss.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Any criticism of Josh is blasphemous and must be ignored 😅 

I agree with Cosell, we’ve all seen Josh bail from clean pockets which disrupts the structure of the passing game - and if he’s rolling to the sideline - shrinks the field in half. He’s never been a structure QB like a Tua or a Purdy, he probably prefers sandlot type of football, so he is what he is at this point. For the majority of games, Josh is not the primary problem, the defense needs to step up.

As for having a legitimate X receiver now, hopefully it opens up everyone else. We’ll get a first glimpse of that against the Titans, the #1 defense in the NFL (in terms of yards allowed).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I agree with Cosell, we’ve all seen Josh bail from clean pockets which disrupts the structure of the passing game - and if he’s rolling to the sideline - shrinks the field in half. He’s never been a structure QB like a Tua or a Purdy, he probably prefers sandlot type of football, so he is what he is at this point. For the majority of games, Josh is not the primary problem, the defense needs to step up.

As for having a legitimate X receiver now, hopefully it opens up everyone else. We’ll get a first glimpse of that against the Titans, the #1 defense in the NFL (in terms of yards allowed).

I think this is exactly what Cooper brings to the table. If only one DB is covering him, it's an easy button for Josh to push. If he's double covered and this will happen a lot, Shakir and Kincaid are going to look a whole lot better than they have so far this year. The Bills have been running a lot of bunch formations and pick routes to get guys open. No one has been consistently getting separation and that is why they do those bunch formations with the WRs. Now, with a true X, they don't have to rely on these techniques. Cooper is a threat that a defense has to respect, so coverage will naturally roll toward him and away from our other receivers. This includes TEs and RBs.

Cooper is well known for getting excellent separation. If I were Allen or the OC, I'd quickly give Amari a few plays to get the next game started. Then start turning to our other play makers. It will immediately open things up for the whole offense.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/greg-cosell-amari-cooper-s-impact-titans-bills-in-depth-preview

Thought this was a very interesting segment.  Cosell is always very analytical and measured in what he says.    But he verges on being critical of both the route structure of the Bills passing game AND of Josh Allen for bailing from the pocket "prematurely" and not playing within the structure of the pass game.

He also leads off with some comments about the need for an actual X receiver in order to have a consistent passing game in the NFL and how the Bills have lacked that.

I haven’t yet reviewed this, but if this is a breakdown of the jets game, I would take it with a grain of salt.  It was clear to me that Josh’s number 1 priority in that game was to not put the ball anywhere near harm’s way. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I haven’t yet reviewed this, but if this is a breakdown of the jets game, I would take it with a grain of salt.  It was clear to me that Josh’s number 1 priority in that game was to not put the ball anywhere near harm’s way. 

It was more about Cooper and how he can improve Buffalo's overall success passing, nothing to do with the Jets game. Not a bad listen at all.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brand J said:

Completely agree...during Josh's first 2 years in Buffalo, our OL was weak and he trained himself to burst from the pocket early. In the subsequent years for the most part Josh had more open wrs. Acquiring Cooper will allow other wrs to get open. And this should reduce 17's urge to bolt the pocket. Because of his first few years in the league,  this part of his game is just in his DNA.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I saw this video today. Cosell, I think, is really sharp. 

And not only does Cosell say this but he says that the Bills plan for WRs was not working and that prompted the trade.

Surprising that the Bills marketing team allows for such truthful critiques given that their "reporters" almost never critique either Josh or Beane. Refreshing to get Cosell's honest take here.

6 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

And not only does Cosell say this but he says that the Bills plan for WRs was not working and that prompted the trade.

Surprising that the Bills marketing team allows for such truthful critiques given that their "reporters" almost never critique either Josh or Beane. Refreshing to get Cosell's honest take here.

Pretty hard to deny that the plan wasn’t working and the Bills recognized it and did something about it.  Otherwise the trade is just to keep him away from KC and that’s a pretty big waste of a pick.

18 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Pretty hard to deny that the plan wasn’t working and the Bills recognized it and did something about it.  Otherwise the trade is just to keep him away from KC and that’s a pretty big waste of a pick.

I know. But it's refreshing to see One Bills Drive publish criticism of the team. They rarely do that. Especially of the big guys, like Josh and Beane. I can't remember Steve or Chris EVER saying Beane made a mistake in building this team.

Edited by Nephilim17

Cosell says the same thing every time Allen has a bad game. Seriously. Same thing for years

even w diggs and others.

”they don’t have anyone that scares you “

”no deep weapon”

”Josh doesn’t play with structure”

Edited by balln

5 hours ago, Brand J said:

I agree that he's not a Tua or Purdy who understands the offense and runs it like a Swiss Watch. 

I don't agree with "Josh is what he is".  Josh has played some amazing games where he was patient and played within structure and "took what the defense gave him".  Several wins over KC; the "perfect game" vs. NE; etc.  

A number of guys who know ball and generally admire Josh as a QB have made similar comments from time to time (Kurt Warner being one, Chris Simms etc) about Josh bailing prematurely from the pocket and "making something happen" instead of taking the perfectly reasonable throw that was there.

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

Cosell is legit.  He's a gentleman and a football scholar and he's not going to go on OBL and trash a Bills player or the Bills org, but I think a condition of him being willing to come on OBL was that he be allowed to tell it like he sees it.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So basically he plagiarized many of the posts in this forum...two weeks after the fact