What exactly is the real story with Mike Edwards?

Jukester

1 hour ago, K D said:

It's about the $. It's my understanding that if he plays or meets certain thresholds then he makes substantially more $ and they don't want to or can't pay him so they are keeping him on the bench unless they really really need him. I think Hamlin is bad but they are hoping he turns into something because of how cheap he is by comparison 

Playing time incentives come from next year's cap.

33 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why? Who knows!  

Because you do not like Coach McD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

If Hamlin beat out Edwards for the job, that tells me everything I need to know about Beane and the scouting department. Too many veteran pick ups that end up sitting the bench or not very good. Waste of money then as a 4th option safety.

One word (avert):

Injuries

Backups become starters pretty damned quick in this league.  Beane knows that it's worthwhile to put quality depth  at reasonable cost on the team.

5 hours ago, 26TrapDraw said:

If Hamlin beat out Edward’s for the job that tells me everything I need to know about Edward’s. I don’t want him anywhere near the field.

Not really.  Hamlin knows the system, he takes to heart McDermott's coaching to "keep it in front of you".

Edwards is an NFL-level player, I'm sure he's soaking in the system.  If someone gets hurt (avert) there will be teething pains, but after a game or two we'll be glad he's there.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

One word (avert):

Injuries

Backups become starters pretty damned quick in this league.  Beane knows that it's worthwhile to put quality depth  at reasonable cost on the team.

Not really.  Hamlin knows the system, he takes to heart McDermott's coaching to "keep it in front of you".

Edwards is an NFL-level player, I'm sure he's soaking in the system.  If someone gets hurt (avert) there will be teething pains, but after a game or two we'll be glad he's there.

Why he’s not already in there is perplexing given that Hamlin has been a liability more often than not. If Edwards doesn’t know the system after a whole offseason and 6 weeks that’s an indictment on the coaching staff. Either way if he’s the better athlete and not in there yet they are screwing off.

3 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

If Hamlin beat out Edwards for the job, that tells me everything I need to know about Beane and the scouting department. Too many veteran pick ups that end up sitting the bench or not very good. Waste of money then as a 4th option safety.

I keep seeing this referenced and it's not entirely accurate.

Hamlin didn't "beat out Edwards". Hamlin got the job basically by default. Cole Bishop and Mike Edwards were injured for all of Training Camp and the Pre-Season. 

McDermott is not going to start someone who is in their first year with the team on mental reps alone. In the meantime, Hamlin looked very good during Training Camp. So he ended up starting.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Agreed. A few fans and media heads have been dumping on Hamlin, and now everyone is brainwashed into believing that Hamlin is terrible and losing games for us.

It just isn't true. He has been fine. Not amazing. Not bad. Just fine. It would be nice to upgrade at some point, but he isn't out there ruining the defense. He can hold the position down for a season.

This is also true. Is Hamlin a stud? No. But has he cost us games and had a number of horrifically bad plays? No. He's been a perfectly average Safety for us.

After last season, fans had it in their heads that he should be cut and that he's terrible. So now that he's starting, even though he hasn't done anything to lose the job he got - fans believe that he's performing terribly bc he's not popping off the screen with multiple INT's.

It's not the case. And that really compounds the issue. Bc McDermott isn't going to supplant a Starter unless a.) It's a clear massive upgrade - and I get the feeling that with him only seeing 1 snap when Rapp was down, McDermott doesn't see him as one or b.) He's performed inadequately to deserve to lose the job - which to date, he really hasn't.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I keep seeing this referenced and it's not entirely accurate.

Hamlin didn't "beat out Edwards". Hamlin got the job basically by default. Cole Bishop and Mike Edwards were injured for all of Training Camp and the Pre-Season. 

McDermott is not going to start someone who is in their first year with the team on mental reps alone. In the meantime, Hamlin looked very good during Training Camp. So he ended up starting.

Hamlin played pretty well in camp and preseason, though. Edwards has been healthy since the start of the season, I believe. If Hamlin played poorly, McDermott would have started Edwards even if he didn't get much time in camp or preseason. So, Hamlin did win the job by not giving the coaches a reason to give Edwards a shot.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Why he’s not already in there is perplexing given that Hamlin has been a liability more often than not. If Edwards doesn’t know the system after a whole offseason and 6 weeks that’s an indictment on the coaching staff. Either way if he’s the better athlete and not in there yet they are screwing off.

This keeps getting repeated, but is it true? Has anyone (like Cover 1 or whomever) done a breakdown of Damar's play to this point or anything?

Look, I'm not saying Damar is the answer at safety. He is no where near the caliber of Poyer and Hyde, we all know that. And we would all love for an upgrade there. But has he actually been a liability or do people just keep repeating that. I'm sure he's given up some plays, taken some bad angles, etc. But, he's also made a lot of really nice tackles and seems to at least usually be in the right position and keep everything in front of him. Now, I'm sure McD can't do everything he could do with Hyde and Poyer back there, due to Damar's lack of speed, experience, instincts, whatever. But, has he really been as bad as you guys claim?

This is an honest question, not just a defense of Damar. Can you guys point some of these egregious errors out (multiple particular plays) where he has been a liability? As I said, I'm sure he's made some mistakes...my eyes just tell me he hasn't been as bad as some of you make him out to be. But, maybe I'm wrong

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mike Edwards needs to start in place of Hamlin IMO. But, I don’t expect Sean to do that.

In fact, I think it’s more likely we acquire a Safety and Edwards gets cut

Why? Who knows!  

Edwards was on 2 SB teams and has a strong % of turnovers forced relative to amount of playing time

I stopped trying to figure out McDermott a long time ago. What's the deal with Elam, Edwards, Hines, Harty, Samuel? Are they all just camp bodies?  Mike's making nearly $3M this year to be a 3rd string safety?

30 minutes ago, folz said:

This keeps getting repeated, but is it true? Has anyone (like Cover 1 or whomever) done a breakdown of Damar's play to this point or anything?

Look, I'm not saying Damar is the answer at safety. He is no where near the caliber of Poyer and Hyde, we all know that. And we would all love for an upgrade there. But has he actually been a liability or do people just keep repeating that. I'm sure he's given up some plays, taken some bad angles, etc. But, he's also made a lot of really nice tackles and seems to at least usually be in the right position and keep everything in front of him. Now, I'm sure McD can't do everything he could do with Hyde and Poyer back there, due to Damar's lack of speed, experience, instincts, whatever. But, has he really been as bad as you guys claim?

This is an honest question, not just a defense of Damar. Can you guys point some of these egregious errors out (multiple particular plays) where he has been a liability? As I said, I'm sure he's made some mistakes...my eyes just tell me he hasn't been as bad as some of you make him out to be. But, maybe I'm wrong

I feel bias here.

Damar has been beat and made some nice plays.

Edwards ? Hopefully a great BU ready to go when called upon. I sure have no idea do to preseason injury and the setback for his career here

How did he look in his live few reps ?

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I stopped trying to figure out McDermott a long time ago. What's the deal with Elam, Edwards, Hines, Harty, Samuel? Are they all just camp bodies?  Mike's making nearly $3M this year to be a 3rd string safety?

Its a mystery. All of it . The fun is to try and just take it for what it is. But what exactly are they thinking sometimes. Over the years in Buffalo.

But at least we arent going 4-3 to 3-4 and back again with all the Coaches Bills have chewed up and spit out.

We need Scooby Doo (old school ) and the Mystery Van asap !

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What you say is true.  And yet, after he had some pretty abysmal spot appearances as a rookie and a lot of mental reps, Bernard got McDermott's nod to start at MLB after he missed the preseason and most of TC with a hammy.  So McDermott will start someone on mental reps, apparently.

I think it's more that Hamlin looked pretty good during training camp, and Edwards may not have earned McDermott's confidence with his mental reps the way Bernard did.  Hamlin has looked much closer to the 2022 guy who had improved markedly during the games he played for Hyde until that game.  

Which, as you note, is not to say he's an all-pro safety.  But then, neither has Edwards been in his previous 5 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What you say is true.  And yet, after he had some pretty abysmal spot appearances as a rookie and a lot of mental reps, Bernard got McDermott's nod to start at MLB after he missed the preseason and most of TC with a hammy.  So McDermott will start someone on mental reps, apparently.

I think it's more that Hamlin looked pretty good during training camp, and Edwards may not have earned McDermott's confidence with his mental reps the way Bernard did.  Hamlin has looked much closer to the 2022 guy who had improved markedly during the games he played for Hyde until that game.  

Which, as you note, is not to say he's an all-pro safety.  But then, neither has Edwards been in his previous 5 seasons.

None of Hamlin,  Edwards and Bishop are pro bowl caliber.  But you're paying Edwards 2.8M in cap which is more than the other 2 combined. Did his preseason injury really knock him back this much?

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When McKenzie took over for Beas he was terrible almost all season long. When he got hurt Shakir came in and played pretty well but never got any extra time until McKenzie got hurt again. Then he sat Shakir behind Harty and Shitfield the following season. The weirdest thing he did a couple years ago when Dane was getting beat all over the field and there was pressure to put Elam on, he had them in a rotation per series. I’ve been watching football for 30 years, never seen a CB rotation before . 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What I said about starting someone with just mental reps was that he's never going to start someone Year 1 with the team, defensive scheme, and playbook. Bernard, even though missing time with injuries that year, didn't miss the *entire* offseason and more importantly, had a full year with the coaches and the defensive scheme before it.  

5 hours ago, folz said:

This is one of the best posts in the thread.  You're asking the right questions.

To answer your question, I had a look and didn't find a breakdown.  I think he's given up some plays but guess what? So does almost every NFL safety.  

I can tell you he's like 22nd among safeties for completion % against so like mid-third?  3rd for tackles, and 3rd for missed tackle %.

I think folks are upset that he's not an all-pro or all-star, and it's totally fair that we could use an upgrade, but I don't think he's the huge liability people are painting him to be.

Poyer nor Hyde had that much speed, last 2 years.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What I said about starting someone with just mental reps was that he's never going to start someone Year 1 with the team, defensive scheme, and playbook. Bernard, even though missing time with injuries that year, didn't miss the *entire* offseason and more importantly, had a full year with the coaches and the defensive scheme before it.  

Fair, and I take your ponit.

My point is that it's not just that McDermott won't start a guy based on mental reps; it seems to have something to do with the quality of those mental reps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/18/2024 at 5:17 PM, Jukester said:

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

To the bolded, I agree that something is very McFishy around here...