What exactly is the real story with Mike Edwards?

Jukester

12 hours ago, Jukester said:

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

Apparently this guy must be a coach on the Bills and he's watched every practice since he proclaimed Edwards is better than Hamlin.  The only thing I know is over the length of his career, yes Edwards is better than Hamlin, but in 2024, haven't seen him play so no idea.  The only people that have seen him play is the coaching staff and the players.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 90sBills said:

He was a backup last year until KC’s starter went down. So he’s doing exactly what’s in his capability… backing up the team’s starters. 

Hamlin wasn’t a starter in KC.

Thats the concerning part to me. 

There is only 2 options here:

1) Beane signed a S that is so bad that he is worse than Hamlin, who may be the worst starting S i’ve ever seen.

or 

2) Edward’s is in the dog house

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no one on this planet that can convince me that Hamlin is a better safety than Edwards.  Something wierd is going on?

Thank you for the unequivocal discussion-stopper. 
Since no one on this planet can convince you that Hamlin is a better safety than Edwards in the Bills defensive scheme, that tells everyone not to bother to try.

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Hamlin outplayed him and won the job.

At first glance this sounds hysterically funny, but in Sean McDermotts world this is very likely the case, 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At first glance this sounds hysterically funny, but in Sean McDermotts world this is very likely the case, 

Well, it is true. I guess everyone forgot? Hamlin was a standout in camp and preseason and the other safeties got hurt. So, Hamlin is the starter.

And now there is this strange trend of everyone dumping on him. He has not been playing badly. Not great either. But, I suppose there always needs to be a whipping boy.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Jukester said:

I’m not into conspiracies. I like logic. To me logically, a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin. He was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team. If he’s truly still injured, then fine. But he’s not listed with an injury. If this is about contributing on special teams, then that’s stupid. 

Logically, one might come to the conclusion that our head coach who is very experienced in developing defensive backs in his system, has decided that the guy you might have expected to play has been determined to be worse in this system than the guy that is playing ahead of him.

His coaching and development of DBs earns him the benefit of the doubt.

Benford is very very good and most of this forum was wrong about him and Elam. Sean was right.

Hamlin has not made a lot of plays.  He is where they want him to be all the time though.  Thats why he is on the field.  Edwards missing the spring and camp doesn't have the communication or cohesion with the unit.  Bishop made a mistake vs Houston that gave up a TD.  They don't want that again.    

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, it is true. I guess everyone forgot? Hamlin was a standout in camp and preseason and the other safeties got hurt. So, Hamlin is the starter.

And now there is this strange trend of everyone dumping on him. He has not been playing badly. Not great either. But, I suppose there always needs to be a whipping boy.

I get what you’re saying, it was more that Hamlin's play has been mostly forgettable up until this preseason, just a chuckle on my part, 

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I get what you’re saying, it was more that Hamlin's play has been mostly forgettable up until this preseason, just a chuckle on my part, 

Edwards was mostly a backup in Kansas City, wasn't he? I know he played some there, and he started in Tampa Bay for a few years. I just think fans are thinking he is way better than he actually is. He is probably a similar caliber player to Hamlin.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry, but what an idiot. Being a backup is almost better than being a starter in the NFL. You’re not out there risking damage to your body and still getting paid. It’s a win-win. Plus Edward’s doesn’t have the leverage to pull this crap so pretty dumb on his part bc other teams are going to see this. 

Just now, MJS said:

Edwards was mostly a backup in Kansas City, wasn't he? I know he played some there, and he started in Tampa Bay for a few years. I just think fans are thinking he is way better than he actually is. He is probably a similar caliber player to Hamlin.

I read that he started in KC because of injuries, he was their back up at the position, 

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What you're using is logic based on far too few known facts. Which is not especially effective

We don't see practices. They do. "To me logically," you say, "a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin." That's not logic. It's presupposition. We'd need a ton more info to know how true that is.

BuffaloBillyG is most likely on target. He probably isn't beating out Hamlin.

It's not about STs. He has 13 STs snaps.

So then, lets look at logic yes?

Hamlin's PFF scores are about the same as Edwards was last year. 

Edwards had 1 INT all last year and Hamlin on track for the same, maybe even 2 or 3 with way more tackles. 

Hamlin is more physical and does well in the box. 

NOW....  I am not going to slam Dan Mitchel for this because there was "bigger" media talking about this well before Dan was.   

Edwards lost the battle and although Hamlin makes mistakes.. he is getting a little bit better. 

nothing to see here. 

I 100% agree with your post Thurman, I just wanted to break it down more. 

• Agree 1