What exactly is the real story with Mike Edwards?

Jukester

3 hours ago, Jukester said:

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

The guy with the swan hat clearly knows more than our coaches. McD should give him a call and get his feedback……and pizza promo 

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Not sure why anybody would question McDermott’s discernment around DBs? 

He has an iron track record. If he doesn’t think Edwards should be starting, then the guys ahead of him are better right now. 

It could be lack of talent, it could be injuries, he could be depressed in Buffalo (the city is not for everyone), he could be an awkward fit, he could have personal issues, substance abuse, girl problems, you name it. 

The NFL locker room is a crazy place far different than what we see on TV during a game. 

Trust the team to know what they are doing, especially in the DB room. 

Bills Safety Jaquan Johnson would disagree

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

Poona Ford couldn’t get on the field for the Bills, despite poor defensive tackle play, but he’s playing well for the Chargers who have a top defense. 

PED Murphy started for three years then when his contract was up he couldn't even get another team to offer him a contract. 

McDermott deserves no benefit of doubt

3 hours ago, Jukester said:

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

Big nothing burger as this content provider has no team access, just throws out opinions like , well like an anatomy part we are all born with. Compare this type of drivel to quality analysis friom Eric Turner , owner if cover 1.  It’s worthless clickbait and I wish him luck at his real job as that podcast is one of the least reliable , unqualified “ content providers  “ , I have seen. Hey , just like him, it just my opinion, as a fan , certainly no expert. ( tho I have followed the bills for 50 years , so I might even have absorbed more insight just by reading TBD!)

Mainly uses others info to just then add  his own insights , and I’m sorry , some have journalistic training  and talent , and some have a podcast just because anyone can!  TBD is miles ahead and mostly , far less annoying as the website can’t wear a hat backwards and drink while broadcasting.  lol.  Sure seems like a nice “ dude “ , bills fan , but does every fan need to try to cash in with podcasts from their kitchen table ?
     As long as bills are winning , clickbait will  flourish, and it’s no wonder the franchise really protects its intellectual property. Watched several times to give it a fair chance , but if you want to do a podcast full time , work at it , get training , get education.   Most jobs have minimal required abilities; the content industry hasn’t caught up. We can’t all be natural talents who beat the odds like macafee and the yins guys.   lol.  When Mcd or Beane tell us about Edwards , then we’ll know facts.

Personally , have never heard anything NEW on that site ; it’s more reactive to issues , so if you need another reactive opinion and can’t form one yourself , then this might be worth the twice daily effort ! Or if you just need a buddy , this could help fill the need!
     Best bills info is here , shout, cover 1 with Eric and ant , bbs own with brownie / taster and days the nfl film guru Greg Cosell is on or with orlovsky.  Buff fanatics is entertaining, overreaction with fina and ostroski is insightful, yet fina seems to hold back  to maintain being in the bills good graces. Ostroski is not afraid to be honest. .   Buffalo plus is an up and comer and well produced with great chemistry with the 3 pro tv people, Dan , Jenna, & Mike .    Sal and ove are pretty good but Sal , imo , is overexposed. Eric wood has promise. Really like longs pod ( green light?)  about the nfl with great guests and fan interaction.   Bills mafia with Tommy and Mikey is very friendly.  ( Tommy recently lost his mom so  always good to support and help in that terrible grieving time).  What do you guys think? Market is really saturated. Would enjoy your input and favorite content creators choices. !  Go Bills.!  

3 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

The same thing that happened to Nyhiem Hynes.  Signed him to barely play him. 😂

The humanity! The Bills pick up a vet in the off season who is hurt in camp and doesn’t start. The team is made of multiple players who compete. Some start and some don’t. I also assumed he would potentially be a starter. But I’m guessing they know more than I do🤷🏻‍♂️.. so I hope at some point if he is needed he does a great job. 

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

Poona Ford couldn’t get on the field for the Bills, despite poor defensive tackle play, but he’s playing well for the Chargers who have a top defense. 

Different defensives and a different year. Good for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jukester said:

I’m not into conspiracies. I like logic. To me logically, a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin. He was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team. If he’s truly still injured, then fine. But he’s not listed with an injury. If this is about contributing on special teams, then that’s stupid. 

Edwards did not start for the Chiefs until week 14, after he came in for injury week 13 when Bryan Cook went out.
Edwards did start for Tampa in 2022, when they went 8-9 and lost in the WC round, but he did NOT start in 2020 when they won the Superbowl and Tampa let him walk in FA.  He signed 1 year with the Chiefs, so his market wasn't hot.

You can say "logically Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin", but that's actually not logic - that's your opinion, based on, well, whatever you based it on.  The fact is, that while Edwards has shown he can play in the NFL and has started at FS, he was starting on a Superbowl team only due to injury.

Logically, the coaches are playing the player they feel has earned it based on practice and what they see on film.  Isn't it actually kind of a conspiracy theory to believe otherwise?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jukester said:

I’m not into conspiracies. I like logic. To me logically, a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin. He was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team. If he’s truly still injured, then fine. But he’s not listed with an injury. If this is about contributing on special teams, then that’s stupid. 

There's no one on this planet that can convince me that Hamlin is a better safety than Edwards.  Something wierd is going on?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Big nothing burger as this content provider has no team access, just throws out opinions like , well like an anatomy part we are all born with. Compare this type of drivel to quality analysis friom Eric Turner , owner if cover 1.  It’s worthless clickbait and I wish him luck at his real job as that podcast is one of the least reliable , unqualified “ content providers  “ , I have seen. Hey , just like him, it just my opinion, as a fan , certainly no expert. ( tho I have followed the bills for 50 years , so I might even have absorbed more insight just by reading TBD!)

Mainly uses others info to just then add  his own insights , and I’m sorry , some have journalistic training  and talent , and some have a podcast just because anyone can!  TBD is miles ahead and mostly , far less annoying as the website can’t wear a hat backwards and drink while broadcasting.  lol.  Sure seems like a nice “ dude “ , bills fan , but does every fan need to try to cash in with podcasts from their kitchen table ?
     As long as bills are winning , clickbait will  flourish, and it’s no wonder the franchise really protects its intellectual property. Watched several times to give it a fair chance , but if you want to do a podcast full time , work at it , get training , get education.   Most jobs have minimal required abilities; the content industry hasn’t caught up. We can’t all be natural talents who beat the odds like macafee and the yins guys.   lol.  When Mcd or Beane tell us about Edwards , then we’ll know facts.

Personally , have never heard anything NEW on that site ; it’s more reactive to issues , so if you need another reactive opinion and can’t form one yourself , then this might be worth the twice daily effort ! Or if you just need a buddy , this could help fill the need!
     Best bills info is here , shout, cover 1 with Eric and ant , bbs own with brownie / taster and days the nfl film guru Greg Cosell is on or with orlovsky.  Buff fanatics is entertaining, overreaction with fina and ostroski is insightful, yet fina seems to hold back  to maintain being in the bills good graces. Ostroski is not afraid to be honest. .   Buffalo plus is an up and comer and well produced with great chemistry with the 3 pro tv people, Dan , Jenna, & Mike .    Sal and ove are pretty good but Sal , imo , is overexposed. Eric wood has promise. Really like longs pod ( green light?)  about the nfl with great guests and fan interaction.   Bills mafia with Tommy and Mikey is very friendly.  ( Tommy recently lost his mom so  always good to support and help in that terrible grieving time).  What do you guys think? Market is really saturated. Would enjoy your input and favorite content creators choices. !  Go Bills.!  

Well it's not like those with access to OBD are exactly free to speak their minds. The team tolerance and response to criticism is comparable to that of the Chinese Comunist Party. Press conferences at OBD are the most robotic, uninformative, and boring I have heard in decades of following a dozen different professional sports.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

That's exactly who I was about to bring up. Mike Edwards is this years Poona Ford. Someone who was expected to be more but just didn't live up to expectations with McDermott. Not so bad that we'd cut him. But not cracking the starting lineup unless there's multiple injuries.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

According to the depth chart, Mike Edwards is the backup to Rapp, who isn't exiting the lineup, and Bishop is the backup to Hamlin.  I could have sworn that it was the reverse when I looked at it a few weeks ago.  Is there any reason why Rapp and Edwards can't start together?

If that's the case, they aren't following it bc when Rapp was out, we rolled with Bishop and Hamlin.

Bishop, like Rapp, may be interchangeable as well. I'd expect if Hamlin went down - they'd roll with Bishop and Rapp. 

It seems Edwards is firmly planted as the 4th Safety, at best.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, 90sBills said:

He was a backup last year until KC’s starter went down. So he’s doing exactly what’s in his capability… backing up the team’s starters. 

This ^^^ While there are many things to question McDermott on, evaluating who should play on the back end of the D is not one of them. McDermott has been a savant when it comes to corners and safeties.  I think all things being equal he would prefer to have more talent in the back end and that is why Bishop was drafted high and is developing.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jukester said:

Good point.  If this is true then he'd actually be 3rd string since when Rapp got injured, Cole Bishop got the start in Week 5 against Houston and Edwards got 1 snap

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If that's the case, they aren't following it bc when Rapp was out, we rolled with Bishop and Hamlin.

Bishop, like Rapp, may be interchangeable as well. I'd expect if Hamlin went down - they'd roll with Bishop and Rapp. 

It seems Edwards is firmly planted as the 4th Safety, at best.

Yup.  That's why I thought it was odd that the depth chart is the way it is.  And again I believe they changed it.

In any case, I hope to see Rapp and Bishop as the starters.  Both are young and bring something to the table (Bishop potentially).  I hope the Bills are on the giving end of many blowouts to give Bishop some game experience to eventually take over.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no one on this planet that can convince me that Hamlin is a better safety than Edwards.  Something wierd is going on?

Nothing weird is going on. Hamlin has 3 years in the system. Edwards arrived this year then missed most of camp. He is just less familiar with what he is being asked to do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nothing weird is going on. Hamlin has 3 years in the system. Edwards arrived this year then missed most of camp. He is just less familiar with what he is being asked to do.

How did he play for the Chefs when he got the chance to start?  Especially in the SB?