What exactly is the real story with Mike Edwards?

Jukester

McDermott has his favorites. Only he knows who they are. They get the majority of snaps. Milano started early in his career, as did Bernard and Torrence. Cook, Shakir and even Allen had to wait. Mack Hollins is all over the place while Samuel and MVS with 9.3 speed get bubble screens or a kick out the door. It’s one of the frustrating and perplexing things about the organization. Beane brings in talent on the pro side and Coach wants his ground chuck offense and play it safe defense. The Bills have said their safety positions are interchangeable. That was true perhaps with Hyde and Poyer in their prime. It’s not true now. Rapp is a banger. Edwards is not. He may be listed  as his back up, but that is not his game. Bishop is closer to the hybrid of a banger with some speed. Damar makes McDermott feel better. Lewis Cine has more size and speed than Hamlin or Edwards but he’s on the pine with Edwards wasted. Maybe he has a two cent head. I don’t know. Thank god we have this therapeutic outlet for our 4-2 AFC East leading Bills. Imagine if we were the jets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Question how is Bass in McDermott’s circle of trust?

Considering they brought in a number of Kickers to try out, signed one to the Practice Squad, and we're looking at another next week - I wouldn't say he's in his circle of trust right now.

The problem is, and the reason why he's still here (besides the contract), is there isn't a better option available in the market. Even the guy we're bringing in next week for a look just got cut from the Packers recently after going 12 for 17. And the guy we just signed to the Practice Squad went 15 for 20 and missed 3 XP's last season.

If there were good Kickers available on the market right now, you wouldn't see so many bad Kickers (like Bass) employed league wide.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BananaB said:

When McKenzie took over for Beas he was terrible almost all season long. When he got hurt Shakir came in and played pretty well but never got any extra time until McKenzie got hurt again. Then he sat Shakir behind Harty and Shitfield the following season. The weirdest thing he did a couple years ago when Dane was getting beat all over the field and there was pressure to put Elam on, he had them in a rotation per series. I’ve been watching football for 30 years, never seen a CB rotation before . 

That is not true. Shakir was really struggling when he was out there as a rookie. Shouldn't be a surprise. He played in a really gimmicky scheme in Boise. But Shakir played a third of the snaps on offense as a rookie. His low target number was down to his struggles getting open. He kept running into coverage zones rather than sitting in spots. He still does it occasionally but has improved a lot as a route runner and his sense of spacing. 

Also McDermott did a corner rotation before - Levi and Kevin Johnson did one year (maybe 2019)?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I stopped trying to figure out McDermott a long time ago. What's the deal with Elam, Edwards, Hines, Harty, Samuel? Are they all just camp bodies?  Mike's making nearly $3M this year to be a 3rd string safety?

Again I go back to my earlier post. What is Beane and his scouting staff seeing in acquiring overpriced veterans like Edwards if they end up sitting on the bench. Does McDermott have input prior to their signing? For a fairly cash strapped team, Beane can't keep gambling on these type of acquisitions that aren't working out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Overall, this is a ridiculous thread. My biggest issue is that I wasted enough time reading it to realize this. I am now dumber for having read it . . .

How do we know what Edwards does or does not do well? Wasn't he a backup in KC as well?

DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY FUSS-BALL!!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! 😁

Adam Sandler Fight GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BananaB said:

When McKenzie took over for Beas he was terrible almost all season long. When he got hurt Shakir came in and played pretty well but never got any extra time until McKenzie got hurt again. Then he sat Shakir behind Harty and Shitfield the following season. The weirdest thing he did a couple years ago when Dane was getting beat all over the field and there was pressure to put Elam on, he had them in a rotation per series. I’ve been watching football for 30 years, never seen a CB rotation before . 

Cutting edge ? Ahead of the Curve ?