What exactly is the real story with Mike Edwards?

Jukester

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jukester said:

I think it’s safe to say we were all very happy with this signing in the offseason. With his experience and success in KC, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he’d be a starter here. Then some injuries happened in the preseason. But still possibly inactive in week 7?? Something doesn’t smell right.

May 28 - OTA’s- Shoulder injury - wearing sling

July 29 - Training camp -  Hamstring injury

August 21 - Returns to practice 

Best I’ve felt here
Eyeing week 1 return

September 4 Week 1 - Not on injury report, looks to be back at full health, expects to play rotationally

Snap Counts: total 7 snaps for the season. 

IMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.ea66d50735960f02bc906d1ba0f6b829.jpeg

And then this week:

October 18 - Week 7 - did not practice due to illness

Lots of stuff on social media related to his lack of playing time, but this one is spot on and implies that Edwards himself is sick of riding the bench.

So what the hell is going on? This team, McD specifically has a history of picking up veteran free agents with ability and not using them properly. Edwards should be on the field. 

He didn't win the starting job and offers less on ST then the others. Good work on this...not not everything is a conspiracy. 

Sometimes the most basic answer is the proper one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He didn't win the starting job and offers less on ST then the others. Good work on this...not not everything is a conspiracy. 

Sometimes the most basic answer is the proper one.

I’m not into conspiracies. I like logic. To me logically, a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin. He was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team. If he’s truly still injured, then fine. But he’s not listed with an injury. If this is about contributing on special teams, then that’s stupid. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

According to the depth chart, Mike Edwards is the backup to Rapp, who isn't exiting the lineup, and Bishop is the backup to Hamlin.  I could have sworn that it was the reverse when I looked at it a few weeks ago.  Is there any reason why Rapp and Edwards can't start together?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Jukester said:

I’m not into conspiracies. I like logic. To me logically, a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin. He was a starter on a Super Bowl winning team. If he’s truly still injured, then fine. But he’s not listed with an injury. If this is about contributing on special teams, then that’s stupid. 

Logically, you know nothing about what is going on at one bills drive.  Zero.  

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

According to the depth chart, Mike Edwards is the backup to Rapp, who isn't exiting the lineup, and Bishop is the backup to Hamlin.  I could have sworn that it was the reverse when I looked at it a few weeks ago.  Is there any reason why Rapp and Edwards can't start together?

Because Edwards got beaten out = the reason imo

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Hamlin outplayed him and won the job.

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good point.  If this is true then he'd actually be 3rd string since when Rapp got injured, Cole Bishop got the start in Week 5 against Houston and Edwards got 1 snap

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Logically, you know nothing about what is going on at one bills drive.  Zero.  

Because Edwards got beaten out = the reason imo

On point 1, you're absolutely correct.  That's why we come to TBD and discuss our opinions.

On point 2, I have no problem with that.  But in this case Edwards never got to compete in training camp due to injury so if that's the way it works then so be it.  I still think he'd be valuable on the field even rotationally but only 7 snaps?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Good point.  If this is true then he'd actually be 3rd string since when Rapp got injured, Cole Bishop got the start in Week 5 against Houston and Edwards got 1 snap

On point 1, you're absolutely correct.  That's why we come to TBD and discuss our opinions.

On point 2, I have no problem with that.  But in this case Edwards never got to compete in training camp due to injury so if that's the way it works then so be it.  I still think he'd be valuable on the field even rotationally but only 7 snaps?

Perhaps he isn't as good at what the Bills ask safeties to do as the Bills thought he would be when they brought him in.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure why anybody would question McDermott’s discernment around DBs? 

He has an iron track record. If he doesn’t think Edwards should be starting, then the guys ahead of him are better right now. 

It could be lack of talent, it could be injuries, he could be depressed in Buffalo (the city is not for everyone), he could be an awkward fit, he could have personal issues, substance abuse, girl problems, you name it. 

The NFL locker room is a crazy place far different than what we see on TV during a game. 

Trust the team to know what they are doing, especially in the DB room. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Jukester said:

The coaches are there every day.  They don’t think he deserves to play. 

2 hours ago, Jukester said:

What you're using is logic based on far too few known facts. Which is not especially effective

We don't see practices. They do. "To me logically," you say, "a healthy Edwards plays ahead of Hamlin." That's not logic. It's presupposition. We'd need a ton more info to know how true that is.

BuffaloBillyG is most likely on target. He probably isn't beating out Hamlin.

It's not about STs. He has 13 STs snaps.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2