Keon notes from MNF...

eball

The rap on Coleman was/is his inability to separate. He is young and has supreme athletic ability. That being said, I find it hard to believe he won't learn the nuances/deceptive body language needed to gain separation. He'll get there with more training, coaching and experience. Me thinks.

7 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

were you there, on site, watching them practice? you're basing on how little they do from 20 sec video of them ***** off with the ball?

I think it's more about how LITTLE you know, balln

Pretty sure that was sarcastic humor.  You may have missed the point , unless I missed your sarcasm playing along. If so, I’m an old guy , forgive me 😊✌️

6 hours ago, notpolian said:

Fair warning: I'm not Mr. Rose colored glasses.  I look at Coleman as a first round pick, which isn't fair to him, he was a (very early) second rounder. 

I'm somewhere between disappointed and not surprised.  He is what they said he was, although I don't see the great hands / contested catch savant enough.  He has trouble getting open. This is a BIG problem for a pro receiver.  

I'm not an expert.  But I don't buy the "he's a rookie excuses".  WR translates pretty well from college to pros.  WR is not QB, safety, OL, or LB.  It's basically the same job with maybe some additional emphasis on blocking.  If you look back on all the high level receivers Buffalo has drafted over the years (Butler, Reed {4th round}, Evans, Moulds, Watkins, I may be forgetting some and I'm ignoring the 60s and 70s), you could tell almost immediately "wow this guy is special".  At least that's what my foggy memory is.  I don't see that with Coleman.  Contributor I hope.  That's why Cooper really could be key for this year.

This is a ridiculous take for anyone who has watched the NFL for a long period of time. First of all, Coleman wasn’t a 1st round pick so how you look at him is irrelevant. He was a second rounder coming in to a team which was supposed to have Diggs as the #1 until he went mental. No one expected him to be blowing the doors off as a rookie. He’s met or exceeded expectations after 6 GAMES as a rookie.

Name one first round WR in 2024 who’s going off. Marvin Harrison Jr has been meh. Worthy has the same stats as Keon. Brian Thomas Jr. drops half his passes right now. Lagette is meh at best. McConkey isn’t doing anything.  WR does not translate well from college to Pros. It often takes these guys a year or two to get the nuance of route running down, and they aren’t physically dominant over their competition like they were in college.

Reed took time. Moulds took a couple years. Evans took 2 years although he had some good plays as a rookie. Watkins didn’t do jack and then broke his foot. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You must not watch the games given he’s made at least 3 already.  

He has a contested catch rate of 40.0% which is 40th 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/keon-coleman/

His college career was 45%

sorrry. Not super impressive. Yet

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

This is a ridiculous take for anyone who has watched the NFL for a long period of time. First of all, Coleman wasn’t a 1st round pick so how you look at him is irrelevant. He was a second rounder coming in to a team which was supposed to have Diggs as the #1 until he went mental. No one expected him to be blowing the doors off as a rookie. He’s met or exceeded expectations after 6 GAMES as a rookie.

Name one first round WR in 2024 who’s going off. Marvin Harrison Jr has been meh. Worthy has the same stats as Keon. Brian Thomas Jr. drops half his passes right now. Lagette is meh at best. McConkey isn’t doing anything.  WR does not translate well from college to Pros. It often takes these guys a year or two to get the nuance of route running down, and they aren’t physically dominant over their competition like they were in college.

Reed took time. Moulds took a couple years. Evans took 2 years although he had some good plays as a rookie. Watkins didn’t do jack and then broke his foot. 

It’s not ridiculous. The mere fact that the bills traded out of the first round. Oh and then again in the 2nd. Willing to not get him. Twice. He’s just ok. Alas. I think that’s all he will be

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Which rookies are ahead of him on that site?

No clue. But the other rookies possess speed and separation . He’s touted as a contested catch guy. That’s his “thing” where he will survive in the nfl. His edge. Yea - just don’t see it. Yet.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Keon needs to make the 50/50 downfield catch he made so many times at FSU & MSU. 

Thats what’s missing right now. 

Once he figures that out, the rest of his game might take off with Cooper demanding attention opposite him. 

It would be nice to get him an easier grab and get him involved before you send him on a 40 yard 50/50 ball. Two times they have tried that pass and each time it was his first touch of the game I believe. Give the rookie a little help. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, balln said:

He has a contested catch rate of 40.0% which is 40th 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/keon-coleman/

His college career was 45%

sorrry. Not super impressive. Yet

It’s not ridiculous. The mere fact that the bills traded out of the first round. Oh and then again in the 2nd. Willing to not get him. Twice. He’s just ok. Alas. I think that’s all he will be

Welcome back Filthy Beast

Which receiver in 2024 would you have been willing to give up significant draft capital to move up for? None of these guys are screaming out of the gates and they all need some seasoning. It will be interesting to see how Keon responds to more of the attention being paid to Cooper/Kincaid

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Welcome back Filthy Beast

Which receiver in 2024 would you have been willing to give up significant draft capital to move up for? None of these guys are screaming out of the gates and they all need some seasoning. It will be interesting to see how Keon responds to more of the attention being paid to Cooper/Kincaid

Love the filthy beast jab

no I agree. Aside from the big 3 and then BTjr. They were all meh. Keon was #1 meh / Luke warm for me.

TBH I thought he would be better / able to win short to 10 yards by being a big body / good hands target. I haven’t really seen that (except one slant late vs jets) 

im surprised at how many big plays he’s had the two tds. Two back shoulder catches vs ravens. 

But overall he looks like a raw rookie , awkward. Ball hits him in the helmet - lowlight reel

I have no expectations for him. Hes a big slot. He’s Kincaid. But we don’t / can’t even use him. We need some dawg/ alphas on the outside for this type of attack to work I fear. There’s a very very low % likelihood that he develops and become an 1B outside nfl wr like tee Higgins. I’m not banking on it. And neither should Beane 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LeviF said:

I remember one play where he ran past the defender and just stood a foot behind him. 

I almost made a thread about this because it upset me so much.

There are a few things each game that Keon does that simply makes no sense. And that one took the cake.

How do you think Allen is going to throw you the ball if your definition of finding space in the zone is stopping your route and standing BEHIND the defender? Is Allen supposed to throw the ball through the defender to get to you? All you did is effectively remove yourself as an option for him, making his life more difficult.

IMG-4183.gif

They’re in zone. Find the nice soft spot a couple yards behind the defender… not 1 inch behind the defender. 

Edited by Einstein

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I almost made a thread about this because it upset me so much.

There are a few things each game that Keon does that simply makes no sense. And that one took the cake.

How do you think Allen is going to throw you the ball if your definition of finding space in the zone is stopping your route and standing BEHIND the defender? Is Allen supposed to throw the ball through the defender to get to you? All you did is effectively remove yourself as an option for him, making his life more difficult.

IMG-4183.gif

They’re in zone. Find the nice soft spot a couple yards behind the defender… not 1 inch behind the defender. 

He is playing it like he did in basketball, waiting to see how the defender is leaning and then trying to uncover the opposite way.  It’s what he knows right now.  He just needs more time dude.

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Then there's Nabers...

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is playing it like he did in basketball, waiting to see how the defender is leaning and then trying to uncover the opposite way.  It’s what he knows right now.  He just needs more time dude.

He definitely needs more time, that’s for sure.

But thats also the concerning part.

The kid has played football for almost a decade - including 3 years of college football and college coaching. How much longer does he need to know that running routes in football is not the same as finding leverage in basketball? Goodness - how much more time does he need to know that stopping your slant route and finding leverage isn’t even a thing!?

We as fans tend to make excuses for our guys. If this was a player on another team, we would not be as forgiving in our criticism.

• Disagree 1

I like some stuff I have seen from Colman and when he’s got in the ball in his hands, it just seems like he’s never open. Even on the catches guys are all over him. I don’t feel like that’s super sustainable. I hope I’m wrong but man it feels that way. The guy has to get separated. A lot of smart people think he should be in the slot. I truly feel like Shakir can win anywhere on the field. If that’s the way to get the most out of our team as a whole, I’d like to see us at least try. Put 18 and 1 on the outside and 10 and 0 in the slot. We have weapons, you just have to use them correctly