What is Greg Rousseau worth?

Kingston Bills Fan

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Well he looks REALLY good on the left side. Perhaps keep him there?

Problem is, that’s the same side from where Von rushes best. They put up stats of how effective Miller was rushing from the left and right and he’s had far more reps and production in his career from the defensive left. 

5 hours ago, Brand J said:

Problem is, that’s the same side from where Von rushes best. They put up stats of how effective Miller was rushing from the left and right and he’s had far more reps and production in his career from the defensive left. 

Key words here “has had”, he’s not the guy they should be concerned about, he’s a has been, Groot is the now and the future.

• Like (+1) 1

This guy is the MVP of our defense. He provides consistent pressure and a relentless chase down of QBs, RBs and even underneath receivers. I was wrong about his value and maybe the extra motivation of being in a contract year is part of the equation, he must be resigned and with anything from Miller we have a chance to be great defense. Bernard, Williams, Oliver, Jones, Johnson,Rapp and 2 good corners. Every week they play better, scary.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/18/2024 at 9:50 PM, Shortchaz said:

A player like Rousseau is DE 2 on an elite defense. If von would’ve worked out, Oliver and Rousseau would’ve benefited the most.  Neither Oliver or Rousseau are the guy, they’re role players. 

LOL Rousseau is very very far from a role player.... have you watched the Bills at all? Or do you just go based on sack numbers? 

11 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Unless he finishes the season with 15+ sacks and a bunch of TFLs, let him walk. Don't get stuck back in cap jail signing a good-but-not-great player to a huge contract because he's "our" guy. 

So Bills should only pay DE's with 15+ sacks a game? 

This is where we're at? The dude is 24 years old, has been great for us, just had 7 or so QB hits in a game and because he may not get 15 sacks, you let him walk? 

So based on your reasoning here, Browns should have let Myles Garrett walk after his rookie contract? Here are his first 4 years sack numbers: 

7, 13.5, 10, 12. 

And your comeback can't be "they are better than Groots" because none of those seasons match your 15+

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

So based on your reasoning here, Browns should have let Myles Garrett walk after his rookie contract? Here are his first 4 years sack numbers: 

7, 13.5, 10, 12. 

And your comeback can't be "they are better than Groots" because none of those seasons match your 15+

They are markedly better than Rousseau's first four years (so far), though.

His best season is 8 sacks, and he got nearly all those during a period when Von Miller was playing with his hair on fire. As soon as he went down, Rousseau disappeared. I mean, he's a good player, but he probably should get a gigantic contract when you still have to extend consistent playmakers like Shakir and Benford (and possibly Cooper).

10 minutes ago, T.E. said:

His best season is 8 sacks, and he got nearly all those during a period when Von Miller was playing with his hair on fire. As soon as he went down, Rousseau disappeared. I mean, he's a good player, but he probably should get a gigantic contract when you still have to extend consistent playmakers like Shakir and Benford (and possibly Cooper).

Must not have read the whole post. He mentioned 15+ sacks, where in those first 4 years were 15+ sacks? So based on HIS reasoning, they should have let him walk. I never said he wasn't better than Rousseau, just based on his reasoning as to why we shouldn't resign, they shouldn't have resigned Garret. 

Edited by warrior9

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Must not have read the whole post. He mentioned 15+ sacks, where in those first 4 years were 15+ sacks? So based on HIS reasoning, they should have let him walk. I never said he wasn't better than Rousseau, just based on his reasoning as to why we shouldn't resign, they shouldn't have resigned Garret. 

Fine, can we agree that a first-round draft pick who was taken solely for his pass-rushing ability shouldn't at least have one 10-sack year on his first contract before getting a big extension?

Edited by T.E.

2 minutes ago, T.E. said:

Fine, can we agree that a first-round draft pick who was taken solely for his pass-rushing ability should at least have one 10-sack year on his first contract before getting a big extension.

That's not solely why he was drafted. You don't draft a first round pick just to rush the passer. If we did that, then you'd be complaining he couldn't stop the run or set an edge. So no, I don't agree with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

I put him in a similar category as Ed Oliver but with a more consistent floor. Above average player that can be a game wrecker if he gets the right matchups. Otherwise a decent run stopper and edge setter. I rarely see him 3 yards past the QB totally out of the play like Von. Oliver seems to totally disappear at times and is injured a lot.

I’m not sure what a “middle class” salary would be for a DE, but that’s what I would give him. He isn’t a star, and I wouldn’t give him star money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I put him in a similar category as Ed Oliver but with a more consistent floor. Above average player that can be a game wrecker if he gets the right matchups. Otherwise a decent run stopper and edge setter. I rarely see him 3 yards past the QB totally out of the play like Von. Oliver seems to totally disappear at times and is injured a lot.

I’m not sure what a “middle class” salary would be for a DE, but that’s what I would give him. He isn’t a star, and I wouldn’t give him star money.

i'd be fine with 17-20 or so. That's about "above average." at this rate. 

On 10/18/2024 at 12:44 PM, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Are we resigning this guy to a big contract? Is he worth it? I’m so on the fence I really don’t think we should be paying this guy upwards of 15-20 million a year. I just don’t think he’s that guy. I know we don’t have anyone else but do we want to be stuck in a contract like that for him? What are you guys thinking he is going to command and should we let him walk.

If he wants / expects top dollar, let him walk.

he’s good, but very far from great.

his production doesn’t merit a big contract.

he’s average, slightly above average.

not difference maker, or game changer, at least not for 13 or 14 games of the season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T.E. said:

I've been lukewarm on Rousseau since we drafted him - but I'm starting to come around.  

He was a monster in the Jets game (sans Von) and is currently 5th in the NFL in total pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) according to PFF.  

I think maybe that all us old school mafiosos were spoiled by Bruce Smith.  Groot isn't that but still a solid edge.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

That's not solely why he was drafted. You don't draft a first round pick just to rush the passer. If we did that, then you'd be complaining he couldn't stop the run or set an edge. So no, I don't agree with you. 

Literally no one cares about that if a guy whose job is to rush the passer is getting double-digit sacks every season. Stop dodging the question - should a 1st-round DE get a huge second contract if he doesn't ever get 10 sacks on his first contract?

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

This guy is the MVP of our defense. He provides consistent pressure and a relentless chase down of QBs, RBs and even underneath receivers. I was wrong about his value and maybe the extra motivation of being in a contract year is part of the equation, he must be resigned and with anything from Miller we have a chance to be great defense. Bernard, Williams, Oliver, Jones, Johnson,Rapp and 2 good corners. Every week they play better, scary.

Not a contract year.  he is signed through next year with the 5th year option.  i hope we can get it done this offseason before he gets more expensive after next year. 

Also noted in this thread is that hes only 24, but he also has only been playing DE like 5 seasons (lost 6th season cause of COVID year).  Hes putting on mass every year and getting better at using his body every year.  

Bills finally started using him exclusively on the left side where he played mostly in college. He’s much more comfortable there and that’s where his muscle memory was formed for his moves. 

From The Athletic: “DE Greg Rousseau (A) — In his first game as a left-side-only defensive end since 2022, Rousseau absolutely dominated from both a pass-rushing and run-defending perspective. He had an advantage against starting right tackle Jaelyn Duncan, and once Duncan left with an injury, it was a complete mismatch against the backup. Rousseau showed off his full arsenal of moves en route to a league-high in Week 7 pressures with 11, according to Pro Football Focus and TruMedia. He was unstoppable, and the Bills should strongly consider keeping him on the left side only moving forward.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Bills finally started using him exclusively on the left side where he played mostly in college. He’s much more comfortable there and that’s where his muscle memory was formed for his moves. 

From The Athletic: “DE Greg Rousseau (A) — In his first game as a left-side-only defensive end since 2022, Rousseau absolutely dominated from both a pass-rushing and run-defending perspective. He had an advantage against starting right tackle Jaelyn Duncan, and once Duncan left with an injury, it was a complete mismatch against the backup. Rousseau showed off his full arsenal of moves en route to a league-high in Week 7 pressures with 11, according to Pro Football Focus and TruMedia. He was unstoppable, and the Bills should strongly consider keeping him on the left side only moving forward.”

who wants to bet McD will see this as a challenge to get him more reps from the Right side?   I kid, kinda.  I wish they would use Groot, Jones, Oliver and rotate AJE\Von off the Right side.  At very least try to wear the T’s down.  Groot is good enough to win against most RTs, let the speed guys try to push the pocket from the Left right, towards the guys who stay shallower.