What is Greg Rousseau worth?

Kingston Bills Fan

18 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It all depends on if they acquire Maxx Crosby

Wishful thinking but you see what’s out there as a quality rusher.  Groot is the Edmund’s of the d line.  Good , adequate , not a game changer or someone who can take over a game.  Let it play out. If he doesn’t get to double digit sacks as your expected best rusher , let him get bids and match if it’s the right price.   He can easily be replaced tho.  No new rush moves since Von arrived.  He should not be paid high just because he is good at setting the edge.  Players can be taught that.

Finishing rushing the qb is a special talent , Steelers seem to find guys who can do it , our evaluation process / expectations are not good enough. We lack a premiere rusher.  Look what it does  for Vegas or the lions if you chose  the right talent. Stop drafting on potential , but draft guys who produced in college or elsewhere and can finish sacks.  As he currently is, he is just like ej , and we need more. He has been durable  compared to Phillips , but that’s expected and not something to reward like a superstar. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Groot is a guy who the next contract depends on whether I think he wants to put in the work to be the best or simply good enough to keep getting paid. If he wants to be the best ever I think he will keep improving and then I would offer a 4 year 72 million contract now and hope to get a good deal, if not I am not sure what he worth to us because he is already a top 20 DE but that is probably his ceiling. 

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Wishful thinking but you see what’s out there as a quality rusher.  Groot is the Edmund’s of the d line.  Good , adequate , not a game changer or someone who can take over a game.  Let it play out. If he doesn’t get to double digit sacks as your expected best rusher , let him get bids and match if it’s the right price.   He can easily be replaced tho.  No new rush moves since Von arrived.  He should not be paid high just because he is good at setting the edge.  Players can be taught that.

Finishing rushing the qb is a special talent , Steelers seem to find guys who can do it , our evaluation process / expectations are not good enough. We lack a premiere rusher.  Look what it does  for Vegas or the lions if you chose  the right talent. Stop drafting on potential , but draft guys who produced in college or elsewhere and can finish sacks.  As he currently is, he is just like ej , and we need more. He has been durable  compared to Phillips , but that’s expected and not something to reward like a superstar. 

He shouldn't be compared to Von, but more to Calais Campbell because of his size. Groot is doing a good job as of now not only putting pressure on the QB, but also in run support. I'm happy with him

We can afford Max Crosby or Myles Garret. If their team eats some of this years cap AND we don’t resign Rousseau! Use the money we would have to pay Rousseau’s big new contract on an actual good player! I would give up a 1st and 2nd or throw in Kair Elam for either of those two players! Why pay Rousseau 15-20 million next year he really does nothing

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I differ than a lot of people here. 

I think he has another gear he hasn’t reached yet. He was raw coming out and has developed into a solid overall starter, especially against the run. 

We could do A LOT worse than the player he is today, but I still think he can break out further. 

He has improved every year that he has been a pro, it's just that his level of improvement has been steady.  He has not had any sort of exponential or breakout sort of growth, just steady.  But he is consistently ascending.

Also, his sack totals may not be great this year but he is getting pressure, I can't tell you how many times I have seen him hit the QB on a clean win against the OT as the QB is just getting rid of the ball.

His run stopping is elite and his overall pass pressure is decent.  I think he can become a good pass rusher but he'll never be an excellent one.  Those guys in today's market for the Top DE is now at $34M a year and rising.  Micah Parsons will most likely get over $37M.  

I said that Spencer Brown would end up getting over $17M a year and people scoffed and laughed and he got that.   Rousseau will at a minimum get $20M + a year.

• Agree 2

He’s likely to get $20 million AAV, but he’s the type of player you can replace and get 90% of the production for 25% of that price.  If he wasn’t already on the team, I can’t imagine anyone would be suggesting targeting him for a 4/80/40 type deal.

It’s possible that the market turns out to be softer than anticipated and he could be had for something closer to $15 million AAV.  If that’s the case, I think they’ll keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

He has improved every year that he has been a pro, it's just that his level of improvement has been steady.  He has not had any sort of exponential or breakout sort of growth, just steady.  But he is consistently ascending.

Also, his sack totals may not be great this year but he is getting pressure, I can't tell you how many times I have seen him hit the QB on a clean win against the OT as the QB is just getting rid of the ball.

His run stopping is elite and his overall pass pressure is decent.  I think he can become a good pass rusher but he'll never be an excellent one.  Those guys in today's market for the Top DE is now at $34M a year and rising.  Micah Parsons will most likely get over $37M.  

I said that Spencer Brown would end up getting over $17M a year and people scoffed and laughed and he got that.   Rousseau will at a minimum get $20M + a year.

I'm not paying him 20M+ to be a decent pass rusher. Keep drafting till we find one.