What is Greg Rousseau worth?

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It can’t be done already they exercised next year’s option.  With Edmunds they declined it.

Edmunds played under his 5th year, they declined to franchise him and let him walk.

Edited by uticaclub

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Are we resigning this guy to a big contract? Is he worth it? I’m so on the fence I really don’t think we should be paying this guy upwards of 15-20 million a year. I just don’t think he’s that guy. I know we don’t have anyone else but do we want to be stuck in a contract like that for him? What are you guys thinking he is going to command and should we let him walk.

I look at Greg exactly like Tremaine and Gabe. They were good but never great players who unfortunately were too inconsistent. He jumps out of the gate with 3 sacks then hasn't touched a qb since. I'm not giving 20M / yr to that kind of player.  We made the right decision on Edmunds/ Davis and we'll do the same with Groot. That tree just isn't growing. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I put Rousseau in the same class as Oliver. Both players show elite flashes at times, but then you go multiple games where they are basically invisible, and they never make any kind of play against a good opponent in the playoffs. It's very frustrating honestly. I get the urge to extend them because it is hard to find even good talent at those positions, but Allen is about to get a raise so I don't know that we can afford to give another player in that tier a market value contact.

Luckily we don't need to make the decision on Rousseau for another two offseasons. I imagine we'll draft an edge rusher high next year, we'll see how he does in 2025, then evaluate from there. I do not support giving him an early extension like we did with Oliver and Knox. Let it play out.

I agree here... neither are players you game plan for... they are both solid starters... and solid starters do make nice plays every now and again... but neither strike fear into the hearts of OL and offenses. 

I agree with many here that he may be worth $10-12M Leonard Floyd sort of money, but not $20M.  Right now he is ok if he had an elite guy across from him. 

To me, next year you gotta take some more bites at the WR and DL apples early in the draft and hope you hit at least one pro bowler.  Notice I said DL, if you had an elite interior guy it would help the ends too.  All pro would be nice but my confidence is limited.

• Agree 1

If he doesn’t improve upon his current play as a pass rusher, the most I’d offer Rousseau is $18M/yr and I think that’s generous for what he brings. What big time play do you remember Rousseau making in the playoffs against any team? Yeah, I can’t remember either.

• Agree 1

I like him but given his height when he is engaged with another player and can't get to the QB i would like to see him raise his hands more to obstruct the QB's line of sight at least or possibly tip a pass and i don't see him attempting it that much . But i hope they do extend him he is a good dependable player for the Bills !! 

The good thing is we have time to decide.  We have other key contracts expiring at the end of next season as well:  Benford, Bernard, Shakir, Cook, AJE.

We’ll also have time to see how guys like Solomon are progressing.  But at the least, I’d think the team would plan to either resign Rousseau or AJE beyond next season, and I think they’d prioritize Rousseau over AJE.  But, that all probably depends how the two of them perform at least the rest of this season, they stay healthy, etc.

Thus far, he hasn't proven to be worth a $20M contract.

I suspect he'll get $21M/year on the open market this offseason from a lower-end team. The Bills will then re-sign him to a fair deal once that team releases him after a year or 2 of not earning the $21M.

7 minutes ago, 947 said:

Thus far, he hasn't proven to be worth a $20M contract.

I suspect he'll get $21M/year on the open market this offseason from a lower-end team. The Bills will then re-sign him to a fair deal once that team releases him after a year or 2 of not earning the $21M.

He is not a free agent this offseason.