What is Greg Rousseau worth?

Are we resigning this guy to a big contract? Is he worth it? I’m so on the fence I really don’t think we should be paying this guy upwards of 15-20 million a year. I just don’t think he’s that guy. I know we don’t have anyone else but do we want to be stuck in a contract like that for him? What are you guys thinking he is going to command and should we let him walk.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He’s an edge setter. And an ok sack producer if the qb holds the ball a while.

Edit. He can play lights out and we let him walk for a comp or say hey - let’s sign him. 

Otherwise I offer an AJE level contract. Bc to me they’re the same player but opposite. AJe good sack guy gets immediate wins. Horrible vs the run 

but both are…. Just …. Ok. They need to come off the field at times. Rotational. 

Edited by balln
  • Agree 1

Just now, balln said:

He’s an edge setter. And an ok sack producer if the qb holds the ball a while.

im not picking up his 5th year. He can play light out and we let him walk for a comp or say hey - let’s sign him. 

Otherwise I offer an AJE level contract. Bc to me they’re the same player but opposite. AJe good sack guy gets immediate wins. Horrible vs the run 

They already picked up his option for 2025.

I would not extend him now. He's ok but I would make him play 2025 and earn a long term deal. 

I'm 60/40 at this point trying to keep him or let him walk. He's not even close to a premier edge rusher but he is a solid starter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m at the point where I’d be more than willing to trade him in a package for a proven pass rusher. 

His run defense is elite, but in terms of rushing the passer, he’s basically AJ Epenesa.  Gives you some games where you think it finally clicked and then ghosts for a month. 

If we ever have a chance, in season or off season to bring in Crosby or Garrett, I’d have to think Rousseau and a 1st could be enough for them to listen.  

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They already picked up his option for 2025.

I would not extend him now. He's ok but I would make him play 2025 and earn a long term deal. 

I'm 60/40 at this point trying to keep him or let him walk. He's not even close to a premier edge rusher but he is a solid starter. 

It all depends on if they acquire Maxx Crosby

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

whatever the Chiefs decide to do w Karlaftis is what I would do w Rousseau

I like Rousseau more than Karlaftis.   He doesn’t have a Chris Jones to play off of. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I like Rousseau more than Karlaftis.   He doesn’t have a Chris Jones to play off of. 

they're both unspectacular DEs for teams w/super bowl aspirations and tight cap

i dont think either is worth paying market value personally...i wouldn't be paying going rate for 'good' players at important positions.

I put Rousseau in the same class as Oliver. Both players show elite flashes at times, but then you go multiple games where they are basically invisible, and they never make any kind of play against a good opponent in the playoffs. It's very frustrating honestly. I get the urge to extend them because it is hard to find even good talent at those positions, but Allen is about to get a raise so I don't know that we can afford to give another player in that tier a market value contact.

Luckily we don't need to make the decision on Rousseau for another two offseasons. I imagine we'll draft an edge rusher high next year, we'll see how he does in 2025, then evaluate from there. I do not support giving him an early extension like we did with Oliver and Knox. Let it play out.

• Agree 3

He'd be an excellent guy to keep if we had an elite pass rusher opposite from him. But, we don't. It is the one thing we have not managed to get in this era of the Bills. If only Von Miller didn't get hurt... and then suspended.

I think he needs to play out the next 2 years, but I don’t know that he’s worth 20m a season at this exact moment, to be honest. 

He’s still only 24. 

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

He'd be an excellent guy to keep if we had an elite pass rusher opposite from him. But, we don't. It is the one thing we have not managed to get in this era of the Bills. If only Von Miller didn't get hurt... and then suspended.

Problem with that is, do we want the Bills to tie up 40+ million in DEs that only play 50-70% of the snaps? If Bills land an elite pass rusher, he’ll also demand 20+ a season. I’d rather pay the guy who can consistently get 10+ sacks over the guy who’s a great run defender but is only good for 3-6 sacks. 

I like Groot, but I can only remember him getting his hands on QBs once or twice since the opener, both times he missed the sack also. He needs to step it up in the pass rush department. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

52 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Are we resigning this guy to a big contract? Is he worth it? I’m so on the fence I really don’t think we should be paying this guy upwards of 15-20 million a year. I just don’t think he’s that guy. I know we don’t have anyone else but do we want to be stuck in a contract like that for him? What are you guys thinking he is going to command and should we let him walk.

Not sure any team would pay that at this point. AJE has outplayed him last 3 games but still alot of football to go. 

If we can get him in 10-12 range, that'd be cool

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ya, Von was playing elite, 2 more games to go

I think he's the classic case of a young player that you are scared to let go because he has potential to be upper tier, but he's just not upper tier. The Bills should value him on a 2nd contract based on what he is now. He's ok most of the time and a few games per season he's pretty good. If you can get him for that then definitely bring him back. 

Spotrac estimates GR’s market value at $23.2M/season on a 4 year, $92.8M deal. I expect this situation to be similar to Edmunds’. Some team will overpay him if/when he hits FA and I won’t want the Bills to match it. I think if he was okay with staying for less, then it will be done this coming offseason. Same as Edmunds.

Edit: meant this coming offseason, not last

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 3

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Spotrac estimates GR’s market value at $23.2M/season on a 4 year, $92.8M deal. I expect this situation to be similar to Edmunds’. Some team will overpay him if/when he hits FA and I won’t want the Bills to match it. I think if he was okay with staying for less, then it would be done already. Same as Edmunds. 

It can’t be done already they exercised next year’s option.  With Edmunds they declined it.