Amari Cooper is expected to play on Sunday

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cooper still looks shaky catching the ball. Even the TD catch was a challenge.  Also had another one where he looked like he was fighting it. 

A few more weeks of reps with Josh should hopefully help. 

It looked like he was surprised how fast the ball got there on his first 3rd down drop 😂

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Reminder to never ever read anything into coach speak

Pretty much...no need to tip their hand to the other team.

From Joe Buscaglia's recap:

Getting traded on Tuesday, and having only four days of onboarding before his first game was asking too much, too soon of him to be more than just a calculated bit player in his first game. And that’s exactly what we saw Sunday with Cooper taking 35.7 percent of the offensive snaps (including penalties). The Bills dropped back on 67 percent of the snaps Cooper was on the field, targeting him on 41.7 percent of his routes.

But it’s also what he helped do for everyone around him. The spacing was excellent, and they used him in three different personnel groupings. He had 13 snaps in 11 personnel, four snaps in 12 personnel and even one snap as the lone wide receiver in 13 personnel. When Cooper was on the field, and the Bills dropped back to pass, the team averaged 10.4 yards per play. The Cooper effect was immediate.

10.4 yards per dropback when Cooper was on the field... Yeah this move probably saved the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/18/2024 at 9:18 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

You can bet Allen is excited to have a legit WR who often creates separation, but can also go up and get it.    Diggs only did the one.  Cooper does both 

Cooper's a better player and has more left in the tank than Diggs. He's as good in all categories and is a much better contested catch receiver. Also he's just as fast as Diggs but about 20 pounds heavier. Cooper doesn't get manhandled by physical corners.

On 10/18/2024 at 9:36 AM, MikePJ76 said:

Many people have not paid attention to the details here.  When Cooper was traded to Dallas he didn't play the first week, part of that was he was in concussion protocol and the other part was they wanted to get him comfortable. 

He was traded on October 18th and didn't play his first game with the cowboys until November 5th after a Bye week.  Ironically Dallas lost in Coopers first game to the Titans at home 28-14.

To finish your story for you, when Cooper made his Dallas debut he had 5 receptions on 8 targets for 58 yards and a TD. Today he had 4 receptions on 5 targets for 66 yards and a TD.

Pretty impressive considering he had only been with the club for 5 days.

On 10/18/2024 at 10:03 AM, MJS said:

He was always going to dress and play. The question is his snap share. I'm guessing he'll be around 25 to 30% of the snaps.

Good guess. He actually played 35.7% of offensive snaps.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cooper still looks shaky catching the ball. Even the TD catch was a challenge.  Also had another one where he looked like he was fighting it. 

He fought the ball on the TD... reminded me of Stevie Johnson catching his first TD after the unfortunate God-blaming Tweet.

But here's the thing... Cooper has a reputation as a dependable ball catcher. In 8 seasons before 2024 he had 42 total drops... about 5 per season. This year he has 10 drops in less than half a season, but most observers point to poor quarterbacking, poorly timed and poorly placed balls in Cleveland.

I would be very surprised if drops were an issue for Cooper here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Cooper's a better player and has more left in the tank than Diggs. He's as good in all categories and is a much better contested catch receiver. Also he's just as fast as Diggs but about 20 pounds heavier. Cooper doesn't get manhandled by physical corners.

To finish your story for you, when Cooper made his Dallas debut he had 5 receptions on 8 targets for 58 yards and a TD. Today he had 4 receptions on 5 targets for 66 yards and a TD.

Pretty impressive considering he had only been with the club for 5 days.

Good guess. He actually played 35.7% of offensive snaps.

He fought the ball on the TD... reminded me of Stevie Johnson catching his first TD after the unfortunate God-blaming Tweet.

But here's the thing... Cooper has a reputation as a dependable ball catcher. In 8 seasons before 2024 he had 42 total drops... about 5 per season. This year he has 10 drops in less than half a season, but most observers point to poor quarterbacking, poorly timed and poorly placed balls in Cleveland.

I would be very surprised if drops were an issue for Cooper here.

Everything you said is correct. He usually is sure handed. The drops in Cleveland were not all bad passes though. He dropped one that was right in his chest that the Raiders intercepted.

My guess is he reverts to his normal sure handed play but it will be something that bears watching. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Seemed like he didn’t know what the play was on his TD though. I’ll give him a pass there 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Seemed like he didn’t know what the play was on his TD though. I’ll give him a pass there 

Yeah, they talked about it postgame. Josh checked out of the play and Cooper didnt know the check. He turned to Coleman and threw his hands up, and Coleman just pointed at the middle of the field so that's where he ran. Next thing ya know he has a Josh fastball coming at him. I give him credit for making that catch at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, they talked about it postgame. Josh checked out of the play and Cooper didnt know the check. He turned to Coleman and threw his hands up, and Coleman just pointed at the middle of the field so that's where he ran. Next thing ya know he has a Josh fastball coming at him. I give him credit for making that catch at all.

Here it is

Kind of went under the radar with his other plays but this was my favorite play of his yesterday:

We have not had anybody on the roster that can make this sort of play since Diggs fell off a cliff. Win against press with the release, then make a tough catch in a tight window. This is the kind of play that gets me really excited about the potential for this connection. When the Browns led by Joe Flacco had their run, plays like this were the formula - just throw the ball to Cooper 1v1 and he's likely to win with any kind of decent ball placement. Perfect fit for Allen's style.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

in his defense, it looked like it came out of allen's hands funny or the wind got it becaue it was a wobbly ball.