Jerry Jones gets snippy during radio interview.

PromoTheRobot

Testy..lol

IYKYK

Surprised Jerry didn't pursue Cooper, maybe he did but I could see his ego getting in the way, being that he only got a 5th 2 years prior. 

I respect Jerry but he's definitely an egomaniac,  which is a terrible trait for an owner/GM, he built a good team, but perfect example of being too top heavy and not enough depth, their injuries are killing em. 

Compared to Beane, who has endured injuries to key players and their replacements filled in seamlessly- Lewis, Dorian, Davis, Spector

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

What are you referring to? I don't know. Can you clarify?

Sabres/Bills brass felt some locals covering them from the newspaper and radio were overstepping “sport journalist” boundaries with their criticisms. The issue was raised publicly by those who fell out of favor claiming they were targeted and slighted in some fashion due to their reporting. They claimed their employers were notified by the Sabres/Bills of their displeasure with them.

15 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Sabres/Bills brass felt some locals covering them from the newspaper and radio were overstepping “sport journalist” boundaries with their criticisms. The issue was raised publicly by those who fell out of favor claiming they were targeted and slighted in some fashion due to their reporting. They claimed their employers were notified by the Sabres/Bills of their displeasure with them.

Thanks for the details.

I have no idea what the content of the complaint was but seems over the line by the Bills if true.

But, of course, very different from what Jones did, the public humiliation on the air and explicit threat of firing. 

13 hours ago, QCity said:

That was an era with different free agency rules and no salary cap. Now that he can't use his wallet to win, he's shown his true colors.

Brilliant businessman, absolutely terrible GM.

He’s brought in good talent over the years. But he is weirdly loyal to guys when he shouldn’t be. When Zeke was holding out, you absolutely knew he was going to cave enough though you could find similar production from another back. Then when it was clear Zeke wasn’t the best player in the backfield (That would be Pollard) they continued to run Zeke purely because Jones wanted them too

How long was Jason Garrett on the hot seat but never fired. He was the definition of mediocre and Jones kept him around because he liked him

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

That wasn’t that bad.  The radiohosts are just as moronic as him 

They're kind of obnoxious too but nothing close to Jerry here. The guy is literally telling them that asking him adversarial questions is not their job and then threatens to replace them with corporate stooges. 

How is it not that bad that he basically just wants State-run radio?

9 hours ago, US Egg said:

Seems to me there was some sort of friction from on high towards sports locals covering the Bills not so long ago.

…..just saying.

There was, it seemed a lot of friction, and to my knowledge there's never been full disclosure about what happened.  And I don't think full disclosure is required.

It was back when the Bills decided to fire Rex Ryan, Ryan quit before the last game, and Anthony Lynn took over. The Bills had pretty high expectations for the season, and they ended the season looking pretty bad. Jerry Sullivan and his crony went after the Bills viciously, for weeks as I recall. They called the Bills a "dumpster fire" and other things that they were free to say but that were an exaggeration of the situation. What was worse, however, was they ambushed Lynn in his very first press conference, trying to trick Lynn into saying things that contradicted what the Bills GM or someone else had said a day or two earlier. Their questioning made it very clear that they were looking to lynch someone (and I don't mean what they were doing was racist - they were just an angry lynch mob of two or three journalists whose objective was to satisfy they're own unhappiness by crucifying one or more Bills front office people).  It was mean-spirited and lousy journalism.  The Bills were not a dumpster fire - with a new coach and a new GM they went to the playoffs the very next season.

I've always thought (and I have no evidence) that when that happened, Terry Pegula went to the editors of the Buffalo News and complained. It wasn't good journalism, it wasn't helpful to anyone, and I think Pegula made the News recognize that a responsible newspaper in a large city should not be tearing down local institutions just because they happen to have a nasty guy writing columns for them. I've always assumed that the Bills pointed out to the News the relationships the Bills had with various companies that were big advertisers in the News. And I've assumed that they made it very clear that Sullivan and his buddies, and maybe ALL reporters from the News, were going to find their access to the team and the coaches limited unless the News began to exercise appropriate editorial control over their writers. 

What Sullivan was doing was bs, and the Bills simply made it clear to the News that the Bills were not going to sit back and take it. Sullivan was gone within about six months.  The Bills' view of Sullivan's journalism has been validated by the fact that Sullivan's career trajectory since leaving the News has been straight down. He now writes of the Tonawanda Pennysaver. Other sportswriters who have left the Bills have moved to other legitimate news reporting services, including the Athletic. So far as I know, no legitimate news outlet has published Sullivan's writing since then.

It's too bad Sullivan went off the deep end. He's a good writer, and he often had insightful things to say. 

Bottom line is that the Bills were responding to bad treatment by a journalist with questionable standards, which is a lot different from what Jones did in response to journalists who were asking legitimate questions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Bottom line is that the Bills were responding to bad treatment by a journalist with questionable standards, which is a lot different from what Jones did in response to journalists who were asking legitimate questions. 

As an owner Jones is an anomaly, he likes the spotlight and is a loose cannon. The NFL loves it.

No doubt other owners have the same sentiments regarding the journalistic endeavors or intent of those reporting on their teams, most keep it private, yet more than likely agree with Jones on some level.

Jones’s blathering will have little, if any, consequences or repercussions for reporters. 

8 minutes ago, US Egg said:

As an owner Jones is an anomaly, he likes the spotlight and is a loose cannon. The NFL loves it.

No doubt other owners have the same sentiments regarding the journalistic endeavors or intent of those reporting on their teams, most keep it private, yet more than likely agree with Jones on some level.

Jones’s blathering will have little, if any, consequences or repercussions for reporters. 

Yeah, I agree. I'm sure other owners from time to time have objections. The point of Jones's critics here, however, is correct. He's supposed to keep it quiet and deal with it, if at all, professionally and behind the scenes. 

And yes, Jones is an anomaly, and yes the NFL loves it. He sells newspapers. But this behavior is just one example of why he's an unsuccessful owner in terms of team building. (Obviously, he's a successful owner in another sense, because his teams makes a lot of money.) But it terms of winning, the Cowboys are bad, and they're bad because Jerry is a lousy GM. Even he admits that his advice to other owners is don't be your own GM - hire a pro and let him run the team. 

It's a horrible idea for the owner to have his own weekly radio show.  Horrible.  During the season, the coach has to speak for the team, and no one else. During the off-season, it's the GM. (GM during the season when the GM makes a move, like we heard from Beane this week because of the Cooper deal.) The owner cannot and should not be in the news.  

He's a rich guy and he can do what he wants. It's a free country and all that. But being rich does mean that he should treat people like crap. 

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He’s brought in good talent over the years. But he is weirdly loyal to guys when he shouldn’t be. When Zeke was holding out, you absolutely knew he was going to cave enough though you could find similar production from another back. Then when it was clear Zeke wasn’t the best player in the backfield (That would be Pollard) they continued to run Zeke purely because Jones wanted them too

How long was Jason Garrett on the hot seat but never fired. He was the definition of mediocre and Jones kept him around because he liked him

He has not brought in good talent to field a good, contending team. Not since Jimmy Johnson left.

He chooses players like a high school kid who doesn't know much about football, the nuts and bolts, so chooses and then overpays for flashy, incomplete players that  get some attention--Prescott, Parsons, our buddy diggs...  So then Jerry gets a little more of what he truly wants--a spotlight on him.

Like that awful monstrosity he built for his 'team' to play in, he is always just going for the shiny object as he thinks it reflects well on him. But, instead, he has become a joke, a punchline, with an extremely flawed team that he is responsible for creating.

Now he is lashing out, unhinged, because he is in a hole he cannot dig out of.  His only hope is to find a high quality GM, and turn the reigns over to him. But he won't do that.

Edited by Mister Defense

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

They're kind of obnoxious too but nothing close to Jerry here. The guy is literally telling them that asking him adversarial questions is not their job and then threatens to replace them with corporate stooges. 

How is it not that bad that he basically just wants State-run radio?

What is One Bills Live in your opinion? Pirate radio?

• Like (+1) 1