Cleveland Browns building a new dome stadium

DJB

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It had to be a cheap option because the eastern part of the state doesn't want to give any money to WNY.  You should see how the media from Albany on south were screaming like stuck pigs when the deal for the new stadium was made, and to this day once in a while someone writes a new column complaining about the new Highmark .  

But it was OK back in the day when Syracuse, a private university, was given a NY state grant of more than half the cost to build the Carrier Dome.

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

couldn’t agree more. The reality is no one is building open air stadiums anymore. Total waste of money, not to mention how it negatively impacts game play and the fan experience. 

Sadly, the WNY region generally thinks small … this is an area where the opening of another Chipotle restaurant in the Southtowns makes the local news. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It had to be a cheap option because the eastern part of the state doesn't want to give any money to WNY.  You should see how the media from Albany on south were screaming like stuck pigs when the deal for the new stadium was made, and to this day once in a while someone writes a new column complaining about the new Highmark .  

Funny. Those who loudly complain, never consider what has been happening in the five boroughs, for decades:

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2023/03/29/19799/nyc-is-handing-out-277m-a-year-in-tax-breaks-to-its-pro-sports-teams/

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They have been talking lakefront development for fifty years and have never been able to pull it off. 

They were saying it needed over a billion dollars just to renovate the current stadium. 

They almost had to move it. 

Downtown still has baseball park and basketball arena. The dome in the suburb is a much better idea. 

Yep, I've lived here over 30 years of it and you're right.  But, I think it's close to becoming reality.  One of the biggest challenges was moving the port of Cleveland docks and operations out of there and that plan seems settled.  They've talked about closing Burke but that's a hefty fee to the feds.  So now that stadium gets razed and there's an opportunity of space that aligns with their original park-like overpass of the shoreway.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Yep, I've lived here over 30 years of it and you're right.  But, I think it's close to becoming reality.  One of the biggest challenges was moving the port of Cleveland docks and operations out of there and that plan seems settled.  They've talked about closing Burke but that's a hefty fee to the feds.  So now that stadium gets razed and there's an opportunity of space that aligns with their original park-like overpass of the shoreway.

Burke seems to be a favorite of the rich folks and corporations with private planes. There has been talk of closing it for decades, but nothing ever happens. Cleveland would need to repurpose that land and build a land bridge over parts of the shore way to make development of the lakefront work. That’s always seemed like too heavy a lift for the city. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Burke seems to be a favorite of the rich folks and corporations with private planes. There has been talk of closing it for decades, but nothing ever happens. Cleveland would need to repurpose that land and build a land bridge over parts of the shore way to make development of the lakefront work. That’s always seemed like too heavy a lift for the city. 

Yeah the word is the feds put a ton of money into that airport to renovate it so it's not going anywhere.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Definitely an exclusive airport but put there by the feds to alleviate traffic at Hopkins.  My understanding is the feds would want tens of millions of dollars back that they invested in that airport.

Don't know for sure if the land bridge has been the holdup or shifting the port operations.  I do know there was a lot of port operations behind and around the stadium.

We'll see.  It just seems like it's getting more serious with actual money discussions too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's interesting that it's all private funding and they won't utilize PSL's.  While I think that's amazing for the fans and will never forgive the Pegulas for the PSL pricing in our new stadium, I'm surprised the NFL would allow this to happen.  From my understanding, the NFL is a main driving force behind the PSL's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The weather is part of Buffalo football. I don't understand the people who want a dome for us at all. The level of unmanliness is incomprehensible to me. 

YET when we get a major snowstorm and the game is moved like in 2014 and 2022, it gets moved to DETROIT, WHERE THEY HAVE A DOMED STADIUM.

Sorry, it's not about "manliness" it is about common sense.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

As has been said over and over by many, Bills games were moved because roads were closed in Orchard Park. There were travel bans. State of emergency. Had nothing to do with a dome or no dome. 

You couldn't go to Walmart either, and that has a roof. 

I will always hate domes for football. It's an outdoor sport. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As has been said over and over by many, Bills games were moved because roads were closed in Orchard Park. There were travel bans. State of emergency. Had nothing to do with a dome or no dome. 

You couldn't go to Walmart either, and that has a roof. 

I will always hate domes for football. It's an outdoor sport. 

UMMM one major problem... how do fans get to the game in Detroit if the roads were closed and there were travel bans? They played the game at a later date. So that excuse is gone. So now, why not just play the game at Highmark at the same time the games were rescheduled in Detroit??!

THE STADIUM WOULDN'T BE READY, that's why. No dome.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

YET when we get a major snowstorm and the game is moved like in 2014 and 2022, it gets moved to DETROIT, WHERE THEY HAVE A DOMED STADIUM.

Sorry, it's not about "manliness" it is about common sense.

YET both of those games could have been played IN BUFFALO, IF ANYBODY COULD HAVE ***** GOTTEN TO THE GAMES.

Sorry, it's not about a "dome" it is about getting the facts right.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, eball said:

A new factory of sadness?

Haslam’s a dick.  Cleveland’s mayor is not happy.  May that franchise continue to rot.

So the stadium situation there is messy. They lost their team despite being ready to fund Modell a new stadium, when they got the expansion team back the timeline was tight and required a stadium to be ready for open in 99' which gave just 3-4 years tops to get it done. From everything I have read back then and by CLE folk the stadium was a rush job and things as simple as have multiple escalators etc were cut or not done to save cost and also get project done quicker. For the 14-18 events a year there it brings a lot of people there, but in retrospect everyone there has realized what a colossal waste of space it is on prime real estate. So in terms of the current stadium the renovation idea really is kind of a bad idea between the cost required and the location itself.

With that said the Haslams have zero desire to have a stadium still downtown, they want a complex the way everyone else is building them where ancillary development can be made surrounding the stadium #moremoney. The stadium itself looks like a factory built by Benderson and the Shein version of the Vikings stadium which is beautiful, this is atrocious in terms of design. Apparently Cuyahoga County though is not exactly thrilled with this idea of the Browns moving there and the city still desires to have the team.

Per usual like most stadium fights it breaks down to this:

Owners - desire the site they found which maximizes their income

City - doesn't want to lose team but will work on a deal that is middle of the road in owners eyes

Fans- Split because some want new, some want current, some have nostalgia... in the end they lose the worst

Best Solution - Never gets explored which is taking time to find a spot in the city of CLE that keeps the team downtown while letting the owners have the potential for some development. This won't happen because the owners are greedy, the city lacks vision, and it actually would take some time