Without this ‘pick your place’ telephone conversation with Lamar Hunt, where would we be today?

Chandler#81

Just now, Sweats said:

Wasn't Orchard Park his last choice?........and Detroit was where his heart was?

I seem to recall that many, many years ago (i might be wrong).

He wanted to become part ownership of Lions but his interest was turned down.

It is part of reason for initial colors of the Bills.

He inquired regarding Mijami but his interest was spurned.

Do not remember any other places he enquired before being recommended to Buffalo based on All-America Football Conference Team, 1946-1949 attendance. 

Kenneth R. Crippen wrote on this; I have one of his books in storage.

https://canvasrebel.com/meet-ken-crippen/

15 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I recall Miami was his first choice but the city was burned by the old AAFC and they didn't want to mess with an upstart pro league again.

PS: Ralph is cheap.

Wilson was the AFL's second choice as Bills owner to have a team in a city that was not his first choice to own one..

He wanted Miami, but Hunt said no.   Pat McGroder is credited with bringing pro football back to Buffalo--he had been heavily lobbying the NFL to come there.  They wouldn't.  Hunt called him before Ralph, offering him an AFL franchise.  HE turned him down, figuring Buffalo would be the next NFL expansion team.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

The city owes a lot to this man. Even after his death he made sure his foundation donated over 100 million to the city of Buffalo. The money is currently being used to completely reimagine Lasalle park (now named Ralph Wilson park).

And sure he was cheap... and buffalo may not have been his first choice. But he somehow kept the bills in buffalo for over 50 years. I imagine most other owners would have sold out and moved the team.

Edited by TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th
  • Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ralph chose Buffalo!

Jets fans? Giants fans?, Browns? God forbid!

Thank you, Ralph! From the depths of my heart 

Hunt gave him choices of five cities so Buffalo was not "last choice" as which has been cited.

21 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Wasn't Orchard Park his last choice?........and Detroit was where his heart was?

I seem to recall that many, many years ago (i might be wrong).

Ralph was from Detroit. According to the Bills 50th anniversary DVD he and his father had a small stake in the Lions at one point. As far as Miami goes, I remember hearing there was an issue with a lease for the Orange Bowl and Ralph chose Buffalo instead.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, holla83 said:

Ralph was from Detroit. According to the Bills 50th anniversary DVD he and his father had a small stake in the Lions at one point. 

Hence the blue/silver uniforms to look like the Lions in 1960 and 61.  The only real difference was the lack of the Detroit logo on the helmet.

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=BUF&year=1961

https://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=DET&year=1961

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1