Kicker Lucas Havrisik signed to PS

HappyDays

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

a lot of times kickers get better and stick with a change of scenery. Hopefully this is the case with this new guy. 

Look at nick folk... he's made 37 of his last 38 field goals since going to Tennessee.  He was 6/11 in tampa in 2017 and didn't even make a roster in 2018.  He made less than 80% for 4 consecutive years from 09-12.  

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bass is serviceable but not good enough. When other teams are making 59 yard FGs to beat you need a better option than Bass. 

You also need to have the coaching staff to not put the team in that position.

• Like (+1) 1

How are there no better kickers available than this?

I always assumed kicker is one of those positions where there should be an abundance of unsigned talent for the simple fact that teams only keep 1 place kicker, so that's 32 jobs available in the NFL for one specific position....

SURELY there are better options that fall right outside of the top 32 than someone who went 4 for 9 on kicks of 40+, right???  I mean that is pretty much Tyler Bass!!  And this dude was kicking for LA!  At least Bass has the wind excuse.

Man.. finding a way to downgrade from Bass... that's not easy!  I gotta hand it to Beane.

They didn't sign this guy to play, they signed this guy to push TBass to get better. Why would they sign someone who is likely worse other than to give him some kind of competition and confidence? They know they have to keep Bass because of the contract. They are doing a psyop

Dead cap from what I see is 7+ million of cut this year.  Is that prorated?

Dead cap hit next year is only 2 million.

See this new guy as competition to get him motivated, not cutting Bass this year.  If he continues to have problems, definitely cut next year.

46 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Like getting Cooper? Or Rasul Douglas? 

You know teams continually "churn the bottom of the roster", right? They are looking for every edge, even if small. 

So kicker Whatshisname is on par with Douglas or Cooper?

You consider them bottom of the roster acquisitions?

You have legitimate appreciation for just now realizing Bass isn’t cutting it?

Bass’ cap number and contract are whose fault? 

Still holding out hope on Bass.  But leash is shorter by the week.

Let's hope this new kicker, albeit average at best, can be a sounding board/someone to pick up things from.  Even the smallest technique/observation, might put Bass back on track.  Mentally, it could help to have someone on the sidelines as well.

We shall see, best case Bass gets back to his best form, but even if he can get more consistent that will be a plus.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Same FG% as Bass last year and also missed 3 PATs... So probably not going to be anything more than change for the sake of change, but at least they're trying. Maybe his confidence isn't totally shot like Bass.

Justin Tuckers aren’t available in October

• Thank you (+1) 1

There are better kickers out there but most don't want to sign to a practice squad. They want the job immediately and they'll hold out for an injury. If Bass went down or continued to miss kicks, I'm still not even sure Havrisik would get the job. This just feels like a competition and a warning shot to Bass rather than a move with any sort of actual on field plan. 

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

I feel like it used to be easier to find a serviceable kicker in a pinch. 

We picked up Dan Carpenter off the scrap heap and he went on to have a few good years for us. 

Sadly Carpenter replaced Dustin Hopkins who has been a pretty good kicker since we drafted him.