Kicker Lucas Havrisik signed to PS

HappyDays

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If he's so good I wonder why, did ya think of that???

Maybe because he missed that 1 fg out of 17 attempts. What a train wreck. Bills fans and our GM need to strive for 100%.

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I understand that, but this guy was seen in the UFL and nobody has called or signed him since their season ended .  I wish we signed the fat guy

I wanted Mevis too. At least he has range. Tyler's range is basically 42 yards.

Bass has indeed missed some kicks on his own, but some of his misses are actually blocks.  That terrible kick against the Jets? It was caused by a Jets player getting a hand on the kick.

In some cases, when a kick is blocked, it's the kicker's fault for not getting enough elevation.  In other cases the kick would be just fine by the defender makes a good play or the kicker's protection breaks down.  It's hard for us fans to know which is which.

My criticism of Bass isn't based only on the misses.  He also doesn't have the same range as other kickers.  Other teams routinely get FGs from 55 yards, which used to be considered heroic, and which seems to be beyond Bass's range.  Or maybe McDermott won't take the risk on long FGs because if they're missed the opponent gets great field position.  

Combine the lack of range with the number of misses that aren't blocks, and yeah I'm  thinking the Bills need a new guy.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Bass has indeed missed some kicks on his own, but some of his misses are actually blocks.  That terrible kick against the Jets? It was caused by a Jets player getting a hand on the kick.

In some cases, when a kick is blocked, it's the kicker's fault for not getting enough elevation.  In other cases the kick would be just fine by the defender makes a good play or the kicker's protection breaks down.  It's hard for us fans to know which is which.

My criticism of Bass isn't based only on the misses.  He also doesn't have the same range as other kickers.  Other teams routinely get FGs from 55 yards, which used to be considered heroic, and which seems to be beyond Bass's range.  Or maybe McDermott won't take the risk on long FGs because if they're missed the opponent gets great field position.  

Combine the lack of range with the number of misses that aren't blocks, and yeah I'm  thinking the Bills need a new guy.  

Bass has a leg that is plenty strong enough. Remember the game he made two 58 yarders with room to spare? I haven’t seen the Bills in a position to kick a long FG, say 4th and 7+ from the 38 yard line. When they go for it, it’s almost always 4th and less than 3. I’d like to see a scenario from the 38 yard line where it’s a long 4th down. Do they punt, or do they attempt the 55 yarder? 

33 minutes ago, Utah John said:

On the range point, I think elevation is a big issue, too.  The block against Pittsburgh in the playoffs was something you could see coming.   He hit his first two that day low, and I was not the least bit surprised when they blocked the attempt from 47.   I agree, though, that field position is the bigger concern on some of the longer kicks.  They don’t trust him, and it’s not going to get better anytime soon. 

On 10/17/2024 at 10:39 AM, HappyDays said:

Same FG% as Bass last year and also missed 3 PATs... So probably not going to be anything more than change for the sake of change, but at least they're trying. Maybe his confidence isn't totally shot like Bass.

Is there anything harder to predict that a kicker's future importance?  I've forgotten the name of the kicker Buffalo drafted one year (Gary something or other).  He was 0 fer in preseason and Buffalo felt forced to release him.  He signed shortly thereafter with Pittsburgh and had a Hall of Fame career.  Bass is struggling right now.  It's probably a mental thing.  Who knows when or if he'll snap out of it.  Sometimes a team change will help.  Same thing with Havrisik.  Maybe with a fresh start on a new team he'll be better.  There are no guarantees though.

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Is there anything harder to predict that a kicker's future importance?  I've forgotten the name of the kicker Buffalo drafted one year (Gary something or other).  He was 0 fer in preseason and Buffalo felt forced to release him.  He signed shortly thereafter with Pittsburgh and had a Hall of Fame career.  Bass is struggling right now.  It's probably a mental thing.  Who knows when or if he'll snap out of it.  Sometimes a team change will help.  Same thing with Havrisik.  Maybe with a fresh start on a new team he'll be better.  There are no guarantees though.

Gary Anderson was drafted by the Bills.  He had played at Syracuse and I read a story somewhere, likely at TBD, that he had missed his preseason kicks on purpose to get the Bills to release him and then he could find his own career opportunity.  That's a power move if true and it fits that agents often tell their clients that it is better to be a UDFA where you can pick the situation you think is best for your career even though being drafted is an ego boost.

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Gary Anderson was drafted by the Bills.  He had played at Syracuse and I read a story somewhere, likely at TBD, that he had missed his preseason kicks on purpose to get the Bills to release him and then he could find his own career opportunity.  That's a power move if true and it fits that agents often tell their clients that it is better to be a UDFA where you can pick the situation you think is best for your career even though being drafted is an ego boost.

I know it was widely suspected that Anderson blew his kicks on purpose when playing for Buffalo.  I don't recall hearing of conclusive evidence or admissions regarding it however.  It's very possible.

16 hours ago, Saxum said:

Pretty tough having gotten Special Teams player of the month last year, get injured and then having poor games this year.

idy0bi45xqtfygp6xebf.jpg

Third time Bass had been the AFC Special Teams Player of the Month in his career. He won the award in November 2022 and October 2021.

Last year was 2023 , not 21 or 22 and he cost us a game at home , besides others , in a playoff run. The issue of 23 is now worse in 24.   It’s affecting g play calling and almost this past game.  Hard to coach not knowing what is an automatic range for your kicker.  This has to be consistent and bass is no longer that guy.  Go for someone who is automatic from 45 in , or longer if possible. Can’t have any consistency play calling with him spraying balls at critical times.  Leaving 4 points on the field on MNF , changed the game.  Why wait till you lose and then change , get a guy consistent from 45-40 in and coach around that. Now Mcd never knows what to do     You can’t strategize that way as no distance is a sure thing. Look at him again next year , let him have a hamstring injury that lands him on ir , deal with competition next year. 

On 10/17/2024 at 10:41 AM, wjag said:

His stats don’t make it look any better.  And those  previous stats are for a dome kicker?

Yeah , hopefully not another of beanes signings like the wr group, that are no better in the past but he magically thinks he will now be better. I don’t get it. If you can’t sign someone you know historically is better , you are muddying the waters and wasting a ps place. It’s like the multitude of d lineman who never have worked out. Or last years wr tandem from the fins.  Who only produced in 1/17 games. He’s signs coop , but won’t address a postion losing points almost every game?  Even Belicheck made fun of that hooked kick ( never saw any evidence it was blocked) calling or comparing him hitting his four iron!  
     Bass has one singular job bb said , kicking the ball.  That’s it. He’s not doing his job, bb would move on. It’s not fair to the other players working their a$$ off ; move on and quit coaching in fear.  Do something before the inevitable loss occurs.  Home games in playoffs matter. If you ignore this , why waste draft capital on coop? This management / coaching indecisiveness is why we don’t win in playoffs. 
Edmund’s was here 5 years and look what happened when we stood firm and replaced him. White, po, Hyde, Morse, Davis are all replaced and we are younger , but still in first place. Change this weekend with bass pulling his plant hammy , in a game unlikely to be a one possession nd see what happens. Saying you believe in him obviously has meant nothing since last year.  Quit being a boot licker and bring in a  more dependable kicker. ✌️ go bills.