Von Miller outlook implications from the Cooper trade

Chaos

Apologies for the awkward title. 

I love the cooper trade. It will make the games more fun to watch. Having said that I felt the Bills were going to win the AFCE without Cooper. And we we would bow out of the playoffs in the divisional round.  

Adding Cooper does not move the dial on those expectations.  

But I don’t think Beane would make this trade unless he thought the dial will be moved.  And the main thing I see they could move this dial is a return to 2022 form for Von Miller after he returns from his suspension. That plus cooper definitely would up my expectations.  

3 minutes ago, Process said:

If fully healthy this team is absolutely a SB contender. If you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you. 

I agree you don’t know what to tell me. 

• Haha (+1) 13

They had the worst WR room in the NFL. They added a WR that has been to the Pro Bowl 5 times. Even if Cooper isn’t as good as Diggs was, the Bills are WAY better today than they were yesterday morning. 

“Moving the dial” is so hard to pinpoint. He may make 2 plays this year that Hollins or MVS wouldn’t have made that result in a win or 2 extra. That changes seeding, home field and potentially a playoff outcome. You took your biggest weakness and elevated it to average. We should all be excited about this. Is it enough? No one knows. Are they better? Unequivocally yes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Process said:

If fully healthy this team is absolutely a SB contender. If you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you. 

This.  Miller was playing well before his suspension and Cooper is the #1 WR they've been lacking, who will open it up for everyone else on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

This division will be tighter than we think, so this Cooper trade will help with that as well.

I think the Bills are firmly a better team than the Jets, but I looked at the Jets remaining schedule and it is a cake walk. Where the Bills schedule gets super tough later in November

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This division will be tighter than we think, so this Cooper trade will help with that as well.

I think the Bills are firmly a better team than the Jets, but I looked at the Jets remaining schedule and it is a cake walk. Where the Bills schedule gets super tough later in November

It wasn't looking tough before.  The Bills already have beaten the Dols and Jets on the road and have home games which they would have won anyway.  The Pats are just terrible and will be featuring a rookie QB.  This just puts more distance between the Bills and the rest of the division.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Apologies for the awkward title. 

I love the cooper trade. It will make the games more fun to watch. Having said that I felt the Bills were going to win the AFCE without Cooper. And we we would bow out of the playoffs in the divisional round.  

Adding Cooper does not move the dial on those expectations.  

But I don’t think Beane would make this trade unless he thought the dial will be moved.  And the main thing I see they could move this dial is a return to 2022 form for Von Miller after he returns from his suspension. That plus cooper definitely would up my expectations.  

My hope is they start looking like they did from the second half of the Cardinals game through Jags game, but against basically all styles of defense, because they now have an answer to win on the outside in press man, single high when the middle of the field is shut off...and not just have an answer, but a receiver that can absolutely torch you for making that mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

The Jets lost to the Broncos.  Would it be shocking if they were to lose to a team like the Colts?  I don't think so.  Also, though I think they are mediocre, I don't think the Jets match up well against the Steelers.  It's a physical team with a very good pass rush.  Every time Rodgers gets hit he seems to get up limping.  I think there's an excellent chance he doesn't finish the season.  If they lose Sunday, they already have five losses.  Maybe they get in the playoffs with 8 losses, but good chance they can only lose 7.  Not loving their chances.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

It wasn't looking tough before.  The Bills already have beaten the Dols and Jets on the road and have home games which they would have won anyway.  The Pats are just terrible and will be featuring a rookie QB.  This just puts more distance between the Bills and the rest of the division.

Bills for sure have the upper hand. If they beat the Jets again, then ya I would say it is almost a lock.

But if they lose to them, I could see it come down to tie breaks

4 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

The Jets lost to the Broncos.  Would it be shocking if they were to lose to a team like the Colts?  I don't think so.  Also, though I think they are mediocre, I don't think the Jets match up well against the Steelers.  It's a physical team with a very good pass rush.  Every time Rodgers gets hit he seems to get up limping.  I think there's an excellent chance he doesn't finish the season.  If they lose Sunday, they already have five losses.  Maybe they get in the playoffs with 8 losses, but good chance they can only lose 7.  Not loving their chances.

It will depend on the Steelers game in my opinion. If Jets beat them, they only have 2 tough remaining games (Texans and Bills).

The loss to the Broncos was kind of a weird one in bad weather. Plus they added Adams now

I don't think the Jets are a good team, but their schedule is that easy that they can limp their way to 10 wins. 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Process said:

I think they are a playoff team for sure but I don’t see a Super Bowl contender with this team.  I think the coaching staff is a big concern for me in big games along with safety, defensive tackle and pass rush.  I’m just not at the Super Bowl contender stage 

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bills for sure have the upper hand. If they beat the Jets again, then ya I would say it is almost a lock.

It will depend on the Steelers game in my opinion. If Jets beat them, they only have 2 tough remaining games (Texans and Bills).

The loss to the Broncos was kind of a weird one in bad weather. Plus they added Adams now

I don't think the Jets are a good team, but their schedule is that easy that they can limp their way to 10 wins. 

Thats pretty optimistic.  They have to win 8 of 11.   I understand the schedule is weak, but you are talking about a broken down 40 yr old QB behind a bottom 10 OL and a team so dysfunctional they fired the coach after 5 games.. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think people get confused by the bounces that decide games. 

Are we really worse than last year? Well we were a split second Dawkins block on Chris Jones away from winning the Chiefs game on a Shakir touchdown. 

And if the Jets made their FGs last night? 

Things are closer than they appear. NFL is a best of one playoff. Unless you get severely outplayed, one possession wins can usually go either way. 

Bills fans in general are nervous nellies ever since Norwood. They overthink things as if we were swept in a best of seven series every year. As if we haven’t beaten the Chiefs the last 3 regular season games. 

We can easily win the SB this year, just like we could’ve won it the last few years. It’s the bounces, and the flags, and the injuries that decide games at this level. 

One needs to only look last season to this forum after the Broncos game to come to the conclusion that the majority of opinions of Bills fans, are better left ignored. 

Just stay positive and support your team. They’re due for a trophy. At this level, the Marinos and Scottenheimers are the exception, not the rule. Things balance themselves out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Thats pretty optimistic.  They have to win 8 of 11.   I understand the schedule is weak, but you are talking about a broken down 40 yr old QB behind a bottom 10 OL and a team so dysfunctional they fired the coach after 5 games.. 

Ya for sure- Like I said before, I think it comes down to the Pitts game for them as thats a 50/50 one.

If they win that, they can play medicore ball and only lose 3 more games the rest of the year as their schedule is that soft

But if they lose this week, then ya they are in big trouble

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, we may lay an egg somewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s like you suggest but disagree in the Colts. Even then, are they that bad a team? I don’t think so. Their QB is talented but plays extremely streaky in games. 

Might even be one of the remaining games against the Pats. There’s always a folly or close call in one of the games each year. 

11-6 would be decent with the way things shaped up so far. 13-4 isn’t unreasonable either. 

15-2 would be the best. 🤞

Edited by Sojourner
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sojourner said:

Yeah, we may lay an egg somewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s like you said in the Colts. Even then, are they that bad a team? I don’t think so. Their QB is talented but plays extremely streaky in games. 

Might even be one of the remaining games against the Pats. There’s always a folly or close call in one of the games each year. 

11-6 would be decent with the way things shaped up so far. 13-4 isn’t unreasonable either. 

15-2 would be the best. 🤞

As crazy as it may have seemed a couple of months ago, 11-6 almost certainly wins this division. 10-7 might even get it done. The start for the Bills/Dolphins/Jets has the Bills in firm control at this point.

6 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Are we really worse than last year? Well we were a split second Dawkins block on Chris Jones away from winning the Chiefs game on a Shakir touchdown. 

Things are closer than they appear. NFL is a best of one playoff. Unless you get severely outplayed, one possession wins can usually go either way. 

Bills fans in general are nervous nellies ever since Norwood. They overthink things as if we were swept in a best of seven series every year. As if we haven’t beaten the Chiefs the last 3 regular season games. 

We can easily win the SB this year, just like we could’ve won it the last few years. It’s the bounces, and the flags, and the injuries that decide games at this level. 

One needs to only look last season to this forum after the Broncos game to come to the conclusion that the majority of opinions of Bills fans, are better left ignored. 

Just stay positive and support your team. They’re due for a trophy. At this level, the Marinos and Scottenheimers are the exception, not the rule. Things balance themselves out. 

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF by NBC Olympics

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

The Bills have handled the Jets in Buffalo.  I can't even recall the last time the Jets won there.  But Jersey has been a house of horrors.  Just witness last year.  I figured they were going to lose because of that and they were on the last leg of a 3-game road trip.  But they pulled it off and their odds to win the division skyrocketed.

31 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think people are going to be shocked at how good Miller plays when he comes back. Back to elite pass rusher level.  

Then why the thread?  Miller back at elite level and they added a true #1 WR.

26 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

The Bills also missed a PAT and FG.  That's a 2 point difference so still a 1 point win. 😊

• Like (+1) 1