The Athletic (Paywall): With Amari Cooper, here's what the Bills are getting from their new receiver

technobot

Joe B from the Athletic posted an article on Amari Cooper, and his notes from watching some footage:

Link to article (paywall)

Why?
- "opposing defenses didn't respect the Bills' ability to get open"
- our guys couldn't beat them early, and Allen has to go into scramble mode
- we need a high volume separator/attention-taker

What does the film show?
- Cooper "still getting open at good rate"
- some of the drops are on Cooper but some are simply the result of terrible QB-play (poor ball placement, poor QB reaction, throwing late)

Strengths:
- excellent route runner, Buscaglia uses "glide" several times
- "power and intention in every step"
- does not give away many "tells"
- can flip the switch between gliding and surprising defenders with quick-footed release and break-off
- "excellent understanding of zone depths, spacing from defenders"
- "relocates well" and will be a boon when Allen goes scramble drill

Weaknesses:
- occasional drops
- "no longer a deep-field separator", not as much RAC as young Cooper
- not a good blocker (Mack Hollins has entered the chat)
- potential separation issues will have to be covered by his smooth route running

Fit?
- sees Coleman as the X for now, with Cooper as the (Canadian pronunciation) Zed
- Shakir stays Y, Hollins as backup X/Z/WR4, Samuel as gadget WR5

Much of this has been posted by TBD contributors already, and Joe's notes on why the cap and compensation make sense is obvious to most of us. As for the future, he posits this year as a "try before you buy" with perhaps a short term (ideally 1 yr) extension to follow if all goes well and both sides are interested.

I (technobot) will not lie and say I watched a ton of game film on Cooper, but just a quick perusal of Pro Football Reference showed that Cooper was averaging 3-5 drops a year on ~130 targets/year. 2018 (the year he was traded to DAL), 2022, and this year in particular seem a bit like outliers.

Also, from my hazy memory of 2018, he was clearly unhappy and was on his way out. Buscaglia mentioned that Cooper's body language sometimes indicated frustration, which would be natural. Joe did also note that Cooper wasn't typically demonstrative, but sometimes you just can't hide it. Cooper was obviously unhappy this year, especially in a "I have to produce to get paid big next year" kind of year.

The (legal cannabis) pipe-smoking dream I have is that Cooper, much like our beloved #17, is a ginormous BOOM player, with some BUST. Point being, Cooper has had 4 200+ yard games in his career. Paired with Allen, we might finally get the technobot-prophesied 500+ yard, 7 TD, wet-dream, GOAT performance of Biblical significance.

Edited by technobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Paired with Allen, we might finally get the technobot-prophesied 500+ yard, 7 TD, wet-dream, GOAT performance of Biblical significance.

Its only Biblical if it comes against Kansas City in the playoffs lol.  Thanks for sharing.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Even if the Bills don't extend him, Cooper will probably get them a comp pick in the 4th round range making this essentially a free trade.

If he does well, extend him. He is a true #1 WR in this league and doesn't show signs of slowing down yet.  2 years 36 mill is what I would offer.  Imagine if he can help Coleman get up to speed.

3 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

Paired with Allen, we might finally get the technobot-prophesied 500+ yard, 7 TD, wet-dream, GOAT performance of Biblical significance.

Its only Biblical if it comes against Kansas City in the playoffs lol.  Thanks for sharing.

Oh man I want to see that

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I mean if someone doesn't think he is the best WR already on the team then I don't know what to tell you.  He is going to transform the offense. 

I mean that's a low bar at present but I agree. Even a middle to low end starting X and/or reliable field stretcher opens up the space Kincaid, Shakir and Coleman have been missing. I think that they are the true beneficiaries and it's no coincidence that MVS was immediately shown the door

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It's a good article and the athletic routinely puts out solid content that has actual data to back it up. I appreciate when they have images of the game to show specifically what they're talking about.

I think Cooper will provide a good target for Josh and help the offense making plays.. I think the big reason for him and his biggest impact is defense will have to shift coverage. Shakir, Coleman and Kincaid should see more opportunity to make plays and the running game should see more light boxes.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Even if the Bills don't extend him, Cooper will probably get them a comp pick in the 4th round range making this essentially a free trade.

That's what I thought too.  But apparently we will not be entitled to a comp pick if he signs elsewhere.  It has something to do with the status of his contract.  I don't know the details, but it is what I heard on the radio this morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalonian said:

That's what I thought too.  But apparently we will not be entitled to a comp pick if he signs elsewhere.  It has something to do with the status of his contract.  I don't know the details, but it is what I heard on the radio this morning. 

"Free" things are sometimes worth what you pay for tnem.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If he does well, extend him. He is a true #1 WR in this league and doesn't show signs of slowing down yet.  2 years 36 mill is what I would offer.  Imagine if he can help Coleman get up to speed.

Oh man I want to see that

Yep. Imagine him helping Keon, and we roll into the physical ass playoffs. We're no longer the "jam, yank around and hold" WR core that killed our run '21 & '22.

Now we just g2 teach our corners how to hold in playoffs. Maybe Elam can get the starters up to speed 🤔 🤣

4 minutes ago, Saxum said:

"Free" things are sometimes worth what you pay for tnem.

Were talking about a perennial 1k yarder, when we don't have a career year 500yd season.... and we have Josh.

Sure your quote makes sense for dentures, underwear, and glory hole visits. But I don't think ben Franklin is jiving with your take on Cooper

• Like (+1) 1

Considering the Bills put themselves in a beggars can’t be choosy situation, getting Cooper is a bit of a coup.

Never saw him as a true #1, but he’s never had a QB like Allen. His career game averages aren’t stellar.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

For those that remember or have heard it from their parents, Lofton was 33 years old when the Bills signed him, and he had a 1,000 yard receiving year when he was 35.

Wow was he that old?? And he still was able to go deep and get separation! If only he scored a td on that ball in the first SB...oh the pain...😔

56 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I mean if someone doesn't think he is the best WR already on the team then I don't know what to tell you.  He is going to transform the offense. 

Cooper is a legit wr1. He had 1250 yards just last year.  I can live with a few drops. I'm also hoping we extend him to a 2 year deal if this trade pans out.  Amari will open up the field.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

For those that remember or have heard it from their parents, Lofton was 33 years old when the Bills signed him, and he had a 1,000 yard receiving year when he was 35.

Theoretically then, we could get five 1,000 yard seasons from Cooper.

(A man can dream, can't he?)