The difference between the Bills and Chiefs is Chris Jones.

Allen2Moulds

2 Number 1's for an elite pass rusher?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. 2 Number 1's for an elite pass rusher?

• Yes
    • No

look,  with where the Bills are picking every year,  theres no sure things.   if theres a known commodity out there that can be had for a reasonable price.  do it.  Josh is in his prime now.  you cant wait on rookies in coming years to maybe be enough to get this team over the hump.   use what you have now.  im not saying send the whole draft someplace to grab a top tier pass rusher,  but now is the time to push for a ring. 

and yes OP,  we need a Jones type on the D.  we have the top tier offensive player,  we need the top tier defensive player.   without Kelly or Bruce,  probably not 4 SB appearances.  needed them both.

Edited by bigduke6

We tried the "we are just one player away" move with Von Miller.  Figure out how to draft a game changer DL.  

The difference between the Bills and KC is Mahomes, Reid, Kelce, Jones and Spagnolo.  Sorry but those 3 players and 2 coaches are much better than ours.  I know people will flame about Allen but that's my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I was hopeful Groot was going to become unstoppable, but he has been seemingly lowering his next contract number every week. 

Some of this is the defense we run. We hardly ever play press man (which KC does a ton), and we hardly ever clog the short range stuff. When run properly, press man and clogging the short takes away all the quick hitters for a QB and results in more sacks.

But played poorly, it results in long touchdowns.

It’s honestly quite hard to consistently get sacks with the defense we run because, theoretically, someone should always be open. We just bank on the QB not finding them by disguising coverage pre-snap. We take away the deep and let teams try to dink all the way down the field and assume they’ll mess up at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs have a better QB (at least more consistent with a higher floor), a better head coach, a better defensive coordinator, a better oline, a better kicker, and yes, a better pass rusher.

The Chiefs are better for many reasons. They are just way less volatile than the Bills are. When the Bills are clicking, they are the best team in the league. When they aren't, they can be mediocre.

5 minutes ago, notpolian said:

We tried the "we are just one player away" move with Von Miller.  Figure out how to draft a game changer DL.  

The difference between the Bills and KC is Mahomes, Reid, Kelce, Jones and Spagnolo.  Sorry but those 3 players and 2 coaches are much better than ours.  I know people will flame about Allen but that's my opinion.

Nobody should flame about Allen. Allen is awesome, but he is much more volatile than Mahomes.

• Agree 1

I have been saying this for awhile now. Good organization, good front office/coaches builds a good culture, solid roster, prepares the team well, and they win a high percentage of games in regular season. In the playoff, every team falls in that category, and generally no new invention that surprises people. The difference is made by those who can play "above the scheme" and how many of those guys you have. That's what HOF level guys make a difference. Go look at superbowl winners, how many teams won a superbowl without those type of guys? ------ 0!

The Chiefs have a minimum of 3 during Mahomes time. Hill will be the 4th when he was there. Plus Reid will be a HOF coach whenever he calls quits.

Rams in their lucky year had Donald, Stafford (to be borderline HOF), Von, and Kupp who played at HOF level that year. 

In Tom Brady's superbowl year with the Bucs, they had a few playing at that level, including Mike Evans.

The Bills have 1. That's why Beane tried Von but he has not been a factor for us due to injuries. Who else is playing towards a HoF career?

You then look at other failed contenders in recent years. Ravens, Bengals. None of them measure up to the Chiefs.

It's pretty depressing when you look at it this way. The hope is Kelce and Jones are aging out very soon. Then may bring down the superbowl bar lower, giving us contending teams more of a chance. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's hard to find a player that makes key plays late in the 4th quarter in big games.  Chiefs have 2 players that do that in Mahomes and Jones, Bills only have 1. That IS the difference, but there is no way of knowing how a player we trade for will be in that role...theoretically, Von should be that player for us as he has been throughout his career.

That’s exactly right.  Almost without exception, you need 3 or at the very least 2 superstars on an NFL squad to win it all, and that includes the coach.  Chiefs have 4—Reid, Mahomes, Jones and Kelce.  Pats had BB, TB and Gronk.  There has to be at least one other person on the Bills who routinely makes game-changing plays when it counts.

Which, by the way, always leaves me stunned that the 90’s Bills, with at least 4 superstars, (Jimbo, Thurm, Bruce and Andre) couldn’t bring home a Lombardi.

42 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

This is interesting because, generally, it comes down to very few plays between KC and Buf. Jones is a wrecker. 

I was hopeful Groot was going to become unstoppable, but he has been seemingly lowering his next contract number every week. 

In the playoff game last year, Jones crashed the pocket and hit Allen's arm causing the pass to Shakir (who was wide open in the middle of the field) to fail.  It was the second down play preceding the missed FG to tie the Chiefs.

No. 

I think the Bills are in transition. They will either become good, this year, with this team simply continuing to improve, or after one more season of talent added to the team. There's no need to go after more speculative, maybe shorter term talent and also giving up the ability to add talent the following season. Just be patient and play it out. The team is close, Allen is still relatively young, get better by buidling every season. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Professor Worthington said:

That’s exactly right.  Almost without exception, you need 3 or at the very least 2 superstars on an NFL squad to win it all, and that includes the coach.  Chiefs have 4—Reid, Mahomes, Jones and Kelce.  Pats had BB, TB and Gronk.  There has to be at least one other person on the Bills who routinely makes game-changing plays when it counts.

Which, by the way, always leaves me stunned that the 90’s Bills, with at least 4 superstars, (Jimbo, Thurm, Bruce and Andre) couldn’t bring home a Lombardi.

Is this Doug Worthington of DPR Dentistry fame?? 😂

Edited by Big Turk

17 minutes ago, Professor Worthington said:

I could go on and on about this topic for hours.  The early 90s Bills were LOADED with talent.  I mean besides the 4 you mentioned they had Lofton, Beebe (who won it with GB), an OL described by opponents as a Machine (Hull was the best of a good group).  On defense Wright and Hansen were good and Bennett was a disruptor, Talley, Odomes, Henry, there are more.  Including a special teamer that should be in the HOF and a little late, a great kicker.  

To me the problem was leadership and coaching.  The players were in it too much for themselves and Levy and co. could be outcoached.  Whatever I can't change the past.  🥴

Well I believe we would have beaten the Chiefs last year if Jones hadn't gotten to Allen on that late play. But I also believe we would have beaten the Chiefs in the 13 seconds game if we had better coaching. This year something else stupid will probably happen.