Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

15 hours ago, notpolian said:

I don't think Hamlin should be starting in the NFL.  But given the choice between Hamlin and Bishop right now, Hamlin gives us a better chance to win.  Bishop is just not ready at a difficult position after missing so much training camp.  I feel confident he'll be starting by no later than next year.  

Elam is a bust, especially as a first round pick.  

though would you feel more confident in January with bishop 17 games into his learning curve or Damar?

They need Coles athleticism in that secondary. They are a slow group, and he is the only real plus athlete we have back there that could make those super athletic plays besides Elam, who is also currently a backup.

Hamlin is a prime example of McDermotts poor philosophy. Play it safe and don't risk high reward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Nico Collins is one of the best receivers in the NFL and has burned quite a few veteran safeties in the league, as well as Bishop, give the kid a break.  There aren't any DB's in the league that don't get beat occasionally, even the best all-pros.  Good wr's are just too talented and have the advantage.

He wasn't beat physically, he was beat mentally. That is more worrying because safety is more of a cerebral position in the modern NFL especially in McDermott's scheme. That being said I hope he is up to speed soon because Hamlin starting playoff games is a frightening proposition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He wasn't beat physically, he was beat mentally. That is more worrying because safety is more of a cerebral position in the modern NFL especially in McDermott's scheme. That being said I hope he is up to speed soon because Hamlin starting playoff games is a frightening proposition.

Disagree. 

its easier to learn a defense than it is to gain foot speed. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sadly the answer to this question at the moment is "not in his gap." I agree with those saying they gotta try and get him on the field because Hamlin isn't an answer to anything but when you put in a performance as brutal as the one Bishop did in Houston you are going to pay for that by riding the pine some. 

There is a middle ground, Rotate him in for a few plays every game, you don’t have to start him, but you do need to get him some first hand experience, he needs to get used to game speed, and required techniques,  and that won’t happen riding the pine, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

Dis you see him get burned in Houston?

Rookies are going to make mistakes, hence McD generally does not like top play rookies heavily.

On 10/17/2024 at 1:26 AM, balln said:

Future is now. If he’s not an immediate starter- as a second rd safety !!!!! What are we doing drafting him then.  Hes a poyer / strong safety replacement. I’d argue you should never draft that in 2nd rd. We need a god dang FREE so badly. 

Niners have the rookie from wake who’s starting and making plays. 4th rd. 

It’s just that simple 

The future is not now. It's the future. That's why the two words are different. And it's especially true this year for the Bills with the massive dead cap hit and loss of guys like Diggs, Davis, Mitch Morse, Poyer, Hyde and Leonard Floyd.

Bishop missed most of camp. That set him back, maybe a great deal.

Mustapha, the 49ers rookie safety, has played 46% of snaps and started two of six games. Bishop has played 39%. And Mustapha didn't miss a lot of time in training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Dis you see him get burned in Houston?

Rookies are going to make mistakes, hence McD generally does not like top play rookies heavily.

Did you see Hall run past Hamlin and Rapp come from the other side of the field to save a TD? Did you see Henry run by Hamlin and Rapp? Those plays don’t seem to define the vets but the one play defines the rookie? 

Edited by BananaB

It’s so frustrating to watch Hamlin back there covering 15 yards of open grass no where near the play, and then say “well he doesn’t get beat in coverage like Bishop does” that’s because Hamlin generally isn’t in coverage he’s off by himself then slowly moves in for a tackle if the play runs right too him. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

though would you feel more confident in January with bishop 17 games into his learning curve or Damar?

Cole Bishop (as per depth chart) is backing up at Strong Safety for Rapp.  Hamlin is playing the Free Safety position and is being backed up by Edwards.  I am not sure how Bishop can replace Hamlin.  We need to get Edwards ready.

3 minutes ago, 0017 said:

It’s so frustrating to watch Hamlin back there covering 15 yards of open grass no where near the play, and then say “well he doesn’t get beat in coverage like Bishop does” that’s because Hamlin generally isn’t in coverage he’s off by himself then slowly moves in for a tackle if the play runs right too him. 

Exactly. Rather see a guy make a few mistakes over the stretch of a season that will eventually make the team better come playoffs. McD like the conservative approach though. We still get burnt in the run game, Hamlin is a huge reason for that. No one seems to mind though

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Cole Bishop (as per depth chart) is backing up at Strong Safety for Rapp.  Hamlin is playing the Free Safety position and is being backed up by Edwards.  I am not sure how Bishop can replace Hamlin.  We need to get Edwards ready.

That can't be the plan..  Sign Rapp to a multi-year deal and then draft Bishop in RD2 to play the same position?

Meanwhile the other Safety position is a competition between a Chiefs backup Safety and Damar Hamlin?

Rapp is our best Safety and looks like he could follow that Hyde/Poyer path under McDermott.  Maybe not to an All-Pro level, but to the point where he's a guy people overlooked but plays really well here.   

If we want to be the best positioned we can for the Playoffs, getting Bishop to learn on the fly next to him seems to be the move... Hamlin is a solid backup but will always be a liability, and in the playoffs, those liabilities become even more exposed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Disagree. 

its easier to learn a defense than it is to gain foot speed. 

Sure I just mean in the sense of putting him on the field now. If a safety gets beat 1v1 by an elite WR that is something you can live with. If a safety completely blows a coverage and gives up a TD that any WR would have scored on, that will make the coaches very hesitant to put them out there. Safety is a position where a single mental mistake could mean 7 points for the other team and you can't just live in that world.

30 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I thought that as well and then I looked at it yesterday and Bishop is (now?) the backup to Hamlin.  I think they changed it.

That preseason injury really tanked Bishop's chances of starting this season.....as stated earlier, McD doesn't like to start rookies, especially ones that didn't get all possible reps during training camp.

This now looks like an apprenticeship year for Bishop unless there is an injury, but look for him to be starting and producing at a high level next year.

it's an instant gratification world... Some are doubting the judgement of the best DB development staff (bar none) in the league. Bishop (or any other rookie draft pick) will get there in due time, or he won't. When he shows enough in practice to be a better play than the guy above him currently on the depth chart, he will be inserted. Some drafted players require development. That does not make them a bad pick or poor investment. Bernard says hello (and many other examples).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1