Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

6 hours ago, T.E. said:

You ever work at a place where promotions seem to be done by seniority rather than performance? I think there is a bit of that element with a McDermott roster.

Did you watch the game Monday night?  In his first start back from injury, Rapp showed why he's a starter.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Hamlin is definitely not as athletic as Bishop and doesn’t have the upside on that front.  Hamlin took a bad angle and then got outrun by Derrick Henry, and made a horrible play on the Hail Mary the other night.  But I’ll trust McD’s judgment on when a guy is ready to take over in a role.  Bishop can also get up to speed via reps in practicing and further learning the system.  If Bishop is constantly giving up TDs in games, is that going to be good for his confidence when he’s getting beat up by the fans and media?  It was a shock when he started Benford over Elam in their rookie seasons, but it appears McD properly assessed who was more ready to play in his system.

Maybe so, but nothing beats in game experience and he should be getting as much as possible. Hamlin at this point has never shown the possibility of greatness that Benford did. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think Hamlin should be starting in the NFL.  But given the choice between Hamlin and Bishop right now, Hamlin gives us a better chance to win.  Bishop is just not ready at a difficult position after missing so much training camp.  I feel confident he'll be starting by no later than next year.  

Elam is a bust, especially as a first round pick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think there’s a middle ground here.

im disappointed that Bishop didn’t take the starting job and never look back. If you are going to draft a low impact position that high, and punt on a high impact position (WR) so you can do so, I would really hope that he hits the ground running.

all that being said, it’s early for Bishop and he has plenty of time to figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We’re last in the league against the run, WRs are running open all over the field.3rd down is 3rd and easy for a lot of the season. Rapp made a few good plays the other night but this D has looked bad. You want to ***** on one guy for a bad first game but ok with the others despite it. Bishop got the most upside, best to get him on the field if you’re not getting high level play out of the other two safeties, and we’re not. Rapp made some good plays the other night but has average most of season. Hamlin has just been average and has made his fair share of mistakes. People ***** on Bishop for the Collins play but forget Hamlin on the Henry run. Lol

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 2

Yup. Just play Cole.

if we’re going for Super Bowl this year. It won’t be with playing it safe w Hamlin. Any Reid will be licking his thick sausage fingers in the playoffs if we roll that out. 

Have to take a chance and develop Cole this year /NOW. Better size. Better athlete. Younger. Would make a lot of sense to start sprinkling him in - especially vs bad qb teams. Now or never mcdermott. Titans look like a good spot to have Cole play 

#free Cole

• Haha (+1) 1

Sadly the answer to this question at the moment is "not in his gap." I agree with those saying they gotta try and get him on the field because Hamlin isn't an answer to anything but when you put in a performance as brutal as the one Bishop did in Houston you are going to pay for that by riding the pine some. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sadly the answer to this question at the moment is "not in his gap." I agree with those saying they gotta try and get him on the field because Hamlin isn't an answer to anything but when you put in a performance as brutal as the one Bishop did in Houston you are going to pay for that by riding the pine some. 

Fine. He sat out last game. You drafted him 2nd round. And you’re a “defensive” well established coach. Coach him up. For the love of G

so, mcd hates starting rookies on D.  he made the exception for edmunds, but i think edmunds had fewer splash plays than his athletic ability would predict because he was so ultra focused on not making mistakes -- he's had more impact plays in chicago.  Milano had trouble getting burn early, and he's (injuries aside) basically genetically engineered to be an LB in mcd's system.  Dorian makes some mistakes, coverage more than the run, so they brought in aj klien off the couch vs kc last year (a mistake that i just can't let mcd live down) because braylon spector of all people was injured (and the other LB was that other back up we had, can't remember his name).

most nfl coaches hate mental mistakes more than anything, and bishop made the most glaring one possible when he came up and let collins past him for a 60+ yard td vs houston.  he also was in the wrong place on a few screens from what i saw.  i think mcd is gonna be very slow to forgive that mistake.

in truth, they have to play bishop and take some lumps, because as pointed out above, we are worst in the nfl at yards per carry, and we are bottom 5 in defending short passes (marino said we allow 4.5 yards of separation on short passes, which is shocking).  the same way that not playing dorian lead to aj klien ensuring our loss to kc last season (kc punted once vs us, and that was when dorian was on the field and made plays when it mattered), they really need a way to get bishop out there to be able to fill in for rapp if he gets hurt again, or to ultimately replace hamlin.  hamlin is simply a huge liability because of his total lack of physical ability.

all of that said, i think cooper fixes our O, and getting ed and miller back (oh, we have to be healthy up front on d to have a shot as well) will greatly improve our pass rush, but the biggest threat to us come playoff time that i can see is bass.  he's just awful (worse at his position than hamlin based on his last 20 games or so) and we lost vs kc by 3 off of a bass miss.  if we get teh ball to the 30 bass is like 41% accurate.  other kickers are double that accuracy from that distance (and beyond) and that is just too much when facing the best in the nfl 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, balln said:

Fine. He sat out last game. You drafted him 2nd round. And you’re a “defensive” well established coach. Coach him up. For the love of G

I want to see him out there too. But after he came in and played like that I think every coach in the NFL woulda gone back to Rapp and Hamlin this past week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

20 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Ok well that’s the niners. This is the Bills and they operate differently. I am actually pleasantly surprised with Hamlin but for sure his coverage skills are a concern. As I said ultimately he will start and it’s certainly possible this year. 

Hamlin is obviously a feel good story. That said, he's done nothing to show that he's deserving of being a starter. Bad angles, late to the ball, etc. Poyer and Hyde in their prime were a joy to watch.

• Agree 1

We've all been around the team long enough to know where Cole Bishop is.

He's in the same place Dorian Williams was his rookie year.

He's in the same place Terrel Bernard was his rookie year.

He's in the same place Lewis Cine is right now, another guy with arguably more upside than Damar Hamlin.

The "back middle" of McDermott's Nickel defense is incredibly complex and variable. Linebackers and Safeties always take time to develop in this defensive system and generally speaking, Safeties under McDermott usually turn out great in year 2+. 

So, where is he? He's currently lost in coverage, as we saw with the Nico Collins play. However, he'll learn, and he'll probably be fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, T.E. said:

You ever work at a place where promotions seem to be done by seniority rather than performance? I think there is a bit of that element with a McDermott roster.

Interesting icon responses to your post. They’re all over the place! 1st, he’s a DB on a team where the HC is the acknowledged best ‘whisperer’, so one has to not only excel, but pass his metrics with flying colors. Aside from Hyde, Poyer & Tre’, who started for him day one, everyone else sits in McD’s incubator until the ‘doctor’ is satisfied they can go ‘home’.. Imo the kid possess the tools required -4 year starter, team Captain, very heady and Fast. So it shouldn’t take a full year for him to adjust and see the field through his coach’s eyes. 
I remain very optimistic this will eventually become reality this season.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we vastly underestimate the difference between College Football and the NFL.   How quickly we forget the days where the Bills had to start rookies, and how bad that was.    Bishop is an elite athlete but let's not pretend he was a top ten pick.  He was a late 2nd round pick.   He is also incredibly young, only 21 years old.      One thing the McDermott does very well is developing talent.    He doesnt rush players into the starting lineup based on their draft status, its why Benford is playing over Elam year in and year out.   

I think Bishop will eventually start here but its not time yet. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think there’s a middle ground here.

im disappointed that Bishop didn’t take the starting job and never look back. If you are going to draft a low impact position that high, and punt on a high impact position (WR) so you can do so, I would really hope that he hits the ground running.

all that being said, it’s early for Bishop and he has plenty of time to figure it out.

I don't believe that safety is a low impact position in today's NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, balln said:

Yup. Just play Cole.

if we’re going for Super Bowl this year. It won’t be with playing it safe w Hamlin. Any Reid will be licking his thick sausage fingers in the playoffs if we roll that out. 

Have to take a chance and develop Cole this year /NOW. Better size. Better athlete. Younger. Would make a lot of sense to start sprinkling him in - especially vs bad qb teams. Now or never mcdermott. Titans look like a good spot to have Cole play 

#free Cole

“Licking his thick sausage fingers”

😂

He simply isn't good enough to start.  Which - by the way - isn't a surprise.  NFL safety is a very heady position, and players need time to gather that experience and knowledge to be effective.  There aren't any other safeties that were selected around Cole's spot doing any better, so we may just have to accept that this pick needs a year to develop and expect returns later on.

Nico Collins is one of the best receivers in the NFL and has burned quite a few veteran safeties in the league, as well as Bishop, give the kid a break.  There aren't any DB's in the league that don't get beat occasionally, even the best all-pros.  Good wr's are just too talented and have the advantage.