Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

1 hour ago, balln said:

Classic over drafted player by Mcbeane. Can’t even see the field. Ridiculous 

nonono

Its the Classic Rookie Treatment. 

Not only that, it takes some WR's time.  Took Reed a year or to two to catch up with the speed of NFL.  WR is a complicated position.  Eric Moulds, Stevie, So on.. Took time. 

1 hour ago, balln said:

Classic over drafted player by Mcbeane. Can’t even see the field. Ridiculous 

Chill. Swap his name with Terrell Bernard and we saw this same thread 2 years ago, but worse.

I'm not saying he's that, but can confidently say we have no clue yet. Goosefrabah

1 hour ago, balln said:

Future is now. If he’s not an immediate starter- as a second rd safety !!!!! What are we doing drafting him then.  Hes a poyer / strong safety replacement. I’d argue you should never draft that in 2nd rd. We need a god dang FREE so badly. 

Niners have the rookie from wake who’s starting and making plays. 4th rd. 

It’s just that simple 

Link your proposed draft pick at the time he was drafted. We don't know Jack Schmidt about the 2024 rookie class, none of them. 

Unless you're one of those "never learn from history guys"

41 minutes ago, Billl said:

Don't understand this take at all. Bernard jumps off the screen several times a game. He's an absolute stud and the best defensive player on the team. 

This guy is just crapping on every player he can. Best to ignore him.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bernard sucked as a rookie.  Dorian Williams sucked as a rookie. Rapp was not that good his first year here.   Patience my friend.  Patience … development in process 

There's validity to this statement, and with guys like Bernard and Williams looking good in Year 2, that is a development timeline for Day Two picks that makes sense.  And I'm certainly willing to accept that may be Bishop's timeline as well. 

Where the development point gets frustrating is with premium picks that we're preaching patience with in Year 3 & 4... and then if they breakthrough finally, we've only gotten a year or two of rookie contract high production before we have to make the decision to pay them or not.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Him getting burnt by Nico Collins when he got the chance to start didn’t help his case to earn more playing time not that Rapp is back.  Give it time though, the guy has the athletic tools and likely will earn more playing time eventually.  Bernard hardly played his rookie year, as one example. 

At least that was a mental error. It wasn't a holy smokes this guy physically can't hang.... that would be bust flag #1.

Rookie, misses time early season. Low reps. Cold off the bench, oh and its nico freaking collins

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

Well Rapp is healthy again so they went back to their starters & Hamlin along with Rapp were those guys . I would like to see him along side of Rapp more often i think it could prove to be a better pairing in the long run to get him some reps . God love Damar but he's not starting material i don't think . 

And who knows it might be part of the plan for him to see the position live to more so understand what he needs to see while playing and later on in the season put him into a heavier rotation of the D .

Edited by T master

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

This guy is just crapping on every player he can. Best to ignore him.

I’m actually not crapping on any player other than Hamlin. Im crapping on the draft selections by Mcbeane.

You can ignore all you want. Or you can learn reading comprehension and have an open mind 

1 hour ago, Process said:

I disagree there were a ton of quality safeties available in FA and for a little more we could have brought in an actual starter

That is Mike Edwards the Gaurd. The safety signed a 1 year $2.8M deal. 

whoops... but in my defense dont let facts get in the way of your narrative 

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Historically McD doesn't like to start/play rookies or new players. They are learning the system and will play when needed

does this only apply to his defense? I imagine it depends on position, but I do recall Edmunds and Benford getting playing time pretty early on, linemen too (though that is a different category). It doesn’t seem to be the case on offense, as Kincaid, Cook, Torrence, Coleman, and Knox got playing time pretty early iirc

1 hour ago, WeckMonster said:

McD values reliability. He probably views Bishop’s blown coverage as a big reason they lost to Houston.

But how do you get better without playing?

He should put Bishop in 10 snaps/game and have him do what he’s good at… man coverage on TE/RB, Blitz. And add snaps each game.

cant use a 2nd rounder and still have Hamlin playing all the snaps.

Bishop was a liability against Houston in the first half. He blew so many plays. But I thought he settled down in the 2nd half and should have been given an opportunity against NYJ. But I guess the Bills see Hamlin as more the FS/Micah Hyde role and Rapp as Poyer.  And Rapp at this point is much better than Cole

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Him getting burnt by Nico Collins when he got the chance to start didn’t help his case to earn more playing time not that Rapp is back.  Give it time though, the guy has the athletic tools and likely will earn more playing time eventually.  Bernard hardly played his rookie year, as one example. 

This. That burn by Nico vs the Texans made Cole look like a rookie hard! McD was not impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

Even if current personnel are not functioning perfectly, McDermott is notoriously slow to pull the trigger on change.  Preseason injury denied Cole Bishop the opportunity to get completely up to speed on McDermott's very complex defense.  McDermott trusts that Hamlin and Rapp know what they're supposed to do.  Athletically both are limited, but they are a known commodity and McDermott draws comfort from that.   Frankly, I think it would take an injury holding Hamlin or Rapp out more than a couple games to give Bishop a chance to start moving forward this season.  

1 hour ago, WeckMonster said:

McD values reliability. He probably views Bishop’s blown coverage as a big reason they lost to Houston.

But how do you get better without playing?

He should put Bishop in 10 snaps/game and have him do what he’s good at… man coverage on TE/RB, Blitz. And add snaps each game.

cant use a 2nd rounder and still have Hamlin playing all the snaps.

If I had to pick one thing McD is good at, picking and developing DB’s would be on the short list. I trust him to know when Bishop is ready and I hope we don’t have to rush him in before it’s time.