Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

2 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Yes even when Rapp was out... Surprised he didn't get n... so basically he just isn't very good... big contract for a 4th safety. 

he makes less than a million a year...

• Agree 1

Defense is giving up chunk yards and explosive plays with abandon. McDermott isn’t going to play a guy that hasn’t gotten his assignments down as yet. However, Bishop seemed to get better last week as the game went on, so that was encouraging. But Rapp is back so Bishop goes to the bench, and Rapp showed against the Jets that is the right move. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, balln said:

Future is now. If he’s not an immediate starter- as a second rd safety !!!!! What are we doing drafting him then.  Hes a poyer / strong safety replacement. I’d argue you should never draft that in 2nd rd. We need a god dang FREE so badly. 

Niners have the rookie from wake who’s starting and making plays. 4th rd. 

It’s just that simple 

Not the way it works in this scheme. Safeties are the key to the entire defense. If he can't be relied upon to do what he is supposed to do on every play and not get smoked deep then he will not play until he can be.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, balln said:

Pleasantly surprised how? Hes just there. Plays 60 yards off. Let’s the other guy catch it 10 yards away in soft zone. When he’s actually near a wr on the Hail Mary he doesn’t do anything. No play on the ball. 

Ok well I’m not a hard core evaluator like yourself. But for what it’s worth PFF had he and Rapp rated as top 5 D players against the Jets. Does he have coverage concerns? Yes, but he is doing a decent job in the role. 

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

That’s possible but he is the back up for Hamlin. A guy who has been in the Bills system for a few years. I think he may not offer as much on ST so he doesn’t suit up. I would think he would do a reasonable job if called upon. 

just not overly impressed with Hamlin, felt like we can do better... but I am not gonna lie... I just havent seen this guy except for when he was in KC, so I really dont know how well he plays... it does seem at this point the signing was way over hyped. 

You guys keep talking about how he can’t be trusted or McDermott can’t play him because he doesn’t know his assignments. OK that’s fine if he was 6th rd. My whole point is you don’t take that player that maybe or maybe not can play now in the second round. When you have a huge hole at both safety spots. It should be a sure thing or you draft something else it’s a sure thing and you hope that Cole falls later in the draft.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Not the way it works in this scheme. Safeties are the key to the entire defense. If he can't be relied upon to do what he is supposed to do on every play and not get smoked deep then he will not play until he can be.

Then he should not have been drafted in the second round

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, balln said:

You guys keep talking about how he can’t be trusted or McDermott can’t play him because he doesn’t know his assignments. OK that’s fine if he was 6th rd. My whole point is you don’t take that player that maybe or maybe not can play now in the second round. When you have a huge hole at both safety spots. It should be a sure thing or you draft something else it’s a sure thing and you hope that Cole falls later in the draft.

Bernard was easily fooled during limited playing time his rookie year too.  He hasn’t turned out too badly, huh?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Yes even when Rapp was out... Surprised he didn't get n... so basically he just isn't very good... big contract for a 4th safety. 

I think they wanted to get Bishop playing time, especially since he is more of a SS. I wonder if Edwards would play if Hamlin was out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Bernard was easily fooled during limited playing time his rookie year too.  He hasn’t turned out too badly, huh?

Third round draft pick. Way overdrafted for how he performed in college. Very niche player in a specific defense. He is head shoulders better play maker  than Edmond was. More instincts. But he is very undersized. And gets swallowed up in the run.

Edited by balln
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

How to say "I don't understand how the defensive scheme works without saying I don't know how the defensive scheme works".

He needs reps and experience, which he would have gotten in training camp and preseason if he wasn't injured most of it.  Or should the Bills have had a crystal ball to see that was going to happen also? SMFH at some people.

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Third round draft pick. Way overdrafted for how he performed in college. Very niche player in a specific defense. He is head shoulders better play maker  than Edmond was. More instincts. But he is very undersized. And gets swallowed up in the run.

Fortunately talent evaluators are more interested in how a player fits inside THEIR specific scheme than what he did in his role in college. You mean when he isn't knifing into the backfield to make TFL's right?  Because he has a sh!t ton of those too.  Or do not see those either?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balln said:

LOL…that easy to draft a sure thing?

The guys that can step in and start immediately as a rookie are not a dime a dozen. Torrence did, but he plays a position where it’s easier to do that. Bishop needs more than 6 games to become a starter. Doesn’t mean it’s a failed pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

How to say "I don't understand how the defensive scheme works without saying I don't know how the defensive scheme works".

He needs reps and experience, which he would have gotten in training camp and preseason if he wasn't injured most of it.  Or should the Bills have had a crystal ball to see that was going to happen also? SMFH at some people.

No bleeping shite! of course it’s Crystal ball. Of course I don’t know the scheme. The whole point is if you’re taking a safety which is a devalued position non-premium position in a premium second round pick especially in a team that has no safety be able to. You better be able to know that he can handle the assignment.

I’m coming from a place where we blew second round picks on Cody Ford, Zay Jones, boogie Basham.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, WeckMonster said:

McD values reliability. He probably views Bishop’s blown coverage as a big reason they lost to Houston.

But how do you get better without playing?

He should put Bishop in 10 snaps/game and have him do what he’s good at… man coverage on TE/RB, Blitz. And add snaps each game.

cant use a 2nd rounder and still have Hamlin playing all the snaps.

He does, but Hamlin is reliably bad!