Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Pretty sure the Ravens would disagree -- they picked Kyle Hamilton 14th overall and he’s the best player on their defense (@HappyDays).

Hamilton might be like Christian McCaffrey - a generational game changing talent at a non-premium position. But a single one of a kind player like that doesn't change the entire narrative. On the whole safeties are devalued in the modern NFL and their average salaries prove it. It's become more of a cerebral position than a physical one and there are a lot of players good enough to man the position without really hurting the defense. So I still don't support drafting them before round 3.

I also don't think safety is as big a problem for us as people think. Our problem is that our front 4 very rarely makes a consistent impact on the game, and our scheme & personnel archetype are vulnerable to offenses that push you around. A lot of our explosive plays given up this year are on runs or screens where our small defensive players are getting blocked out of the screen. We made the choice to build a defense susceptible to that style and we have to live with it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2024 at 9:40 AM, BananaB said:

Chances are when we get to playoffs they’ll be regretting not letting this kid take his lumps early in the season. Jmo

I said the EXACT same about Dorian Williams last year, no lie. And come playoff time what happened? Enter the disaster that was AJ Klein.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Pretty sure the Ravens would disagree -- they picked Kyle Hamilton 14th overall and he’s the best player on their defense (@HappyDays).

Great player. Better be a great player to be picked that high at a low-impact position.

Jahmyr Gibbs was picked #12. Are running backs suddenly super valuable? Of course not.

This kid is going to make some pro bowls and some people itt are going to eat some internet words. It's crazy that we still have doubters in this regime's ability to select and develop DBs.

Edited by VW82

On 10/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

That’s not how it works, starting isn’t dependent solely on where someone was drafted, so there’s no point in getting frustrated. He’ll assume a larger role when he’s ready. McDermott doesn’t care what you were “hoping” for.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Great player. Better be a great player to be picked that high at a low-impact position.

Jahmyr Gibbs was picked #12. Are running backs suddenly super valuable? Of course not.

Ask the Ravens about how they feel in retrospect and come back to me.

On 10/16/2024 at 12:20 PM, T.E. said:

You ever work at a place where promotions seem to be done by seniority rather than performance? I think there is a bit of that element with a McDermott roster.

McD has a very complex and deceptive defensive system. Part of me thinks Cole hasn’t fully picked it up yet.

On 10/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

There’s nothing to talk about. I think McDermott is going to ease him into the lineup slowly over time.

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ask the Ravens about how they feel in retrospect and come back to me.

I don’t really care lol. You are arguing with the numbers.

QBs are paid the most because they are the most important. It all goes downhill from there.

Hamilton may be the best young safety in the league. He might get 20th highest WR money or 21st QB money. Tells you all you need to know about how important he is lol.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Cole Bishop (as per depth chart) is backing up at Strong Safety for Rapp.  Hamlin is playing the Free Safety position and is being backed up by Edwards.  I am not sure how Bishop can replace Hamlin.  We need to get Edwards ready.

I have some theories about how bishop could replace damar, but they might really blow your mind