Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

Given that he's a rookie that missed a great portion of training camp and the pre-season, it makes sense that he's not yet a starter.  I don't agree with the argument that he was over drafted, at least at this point in time.  Some players take more time to learn the scheme and develop.  See Shakir, Bernard, and what appears to be happening with Dorian Williams.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

On the bench...next to Kaiir Elam 😎

He looks a lot like Dorian WIlliams did last year when he was pressed into service and Bernard the year before...mistakes, out of position, not following assignments. I keep reminding myself that in College these guys were likely the main playmaker on their D and did more than their assignment a lot.  In the pros that lack of assignment discipline means being out of position and getting torched..in college their athleticism covered mistakes.  That's why I hesitate to post negative...just a thought...

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, balln said:

No bleeping shite! of course it’s Crystal ball. Of course I don’t know the scheme. The whole point is if you’re taking a safety which is a devalued position non-premium position in a premium second round pick especially in a team that has no safety be able to. You better be able to know that he can handle the assignment.

I’m coming from a place where we blew second round picks on Cody Ford, Zay Jones, boogie Basham.

And he also multiple high level starters since he began drafting. I can name them but it would include multiple players. By any measure BB is a top 5-10 GM in the NFL. He is going to miss on some. To suggest Bishop 6 games in off a pre season injury is a bust is comical. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, T.E. said:

You ever work at a place where promotions seem to be done by seniority rather than performance? I think there is a bit of that element with a McDermott roster.

Perhaps,

but when Bishop had opportunities, he didn’t take the best advantage of his opportunities.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, balln said:

Third round draft pick. Way overdrafted for how he performed in college. Very niche player in a specific defense. He is head shoulders better play maker  than Edmond was. More instincts. But he is very undersized. And gets swallowed up in the run.

What is the niche ? To make plays? It is a shock the Bills drafted a player at LB who fits the style they like to play 1-2 rounds early? He was really good at Baylor. So the draft experts who told us Josh Rosen was the better qb? Think he should have gone in the 5th? Who cares! The point is he’s a really good player for the Bills at the 3rd round like MM was in the 5th. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsgpr88 said:

untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Him getting burnt by Nico Collins when he got the chance to start didn’t help his case to earn more playing time not that Rapp is back.  Give it time though, the guy has the athletic tools and likely will earn more playing time eventually.  Bernard hardly played his rookie year, as one example. 

Same stupid thinking by McDermott that limited Cooks production his rookie year. Rookies make mistakes. Everyone knows that, getting him up to speed is paramount to a strong playoff push. Hamlin gets abused by good offenses. His interception was only possible because he’s scared to actually closely cover someone because he’s too slow to keep up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Didn’t you know, Cole is hanging out with Carmen Santiago…,

7 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Same stupid thinking by McDermott that limited Cooks production his rookie year. Rookies make mistakes. Everyone knows that, getting him up to speed is paramount to a strong playoff push. Hamlin gets abused by good offenses. His interception was only possible because he’s scared to actually closely cover someone because he’s too slow to keep up. 

Hamlin is definitely not as athletic as Bishop and doesn’t have the upside on that front.  Hamlin took a bad angle and then got outrun by Derrick Henry, and made a horrible play on the Hail Mary the other night.  But I’ll trust McD’s judgment on when a guy is ready to take over in a role.  Bishop can also get up to speed via reps in practicing and further learning the system.  If Bishop is constantly giving up TDs in games, is that going to be good for his confidence when he’s getting beat up by the fans and media?  It was a shock when he started Benford over Elam in their rookie seasons, but it appears McD properly assessed who was more ready to play in his system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, T.E. said:

You ever work at a place where promotions seem to be done by seniority rather than performance? I think there is a bit of that element with a McDermott roster.

People forget that the Bills defense is the most complex in NFL, and it can’t be expected a rookie can ever understand it well enough to play a lot of snaps. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

Go watch the Q1 of the Texans game and you’ll see why.  He needs more reps in the system.

I would have to say at this point, he’s probably behind where they envisioned but his training camp injury didn’t help

• Eyeroll 1