Where's Cole Bishop?

billsgpr88

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

Is there any specific reason why he's hardly playing? I know he was injured early on in the year, and he did fill in for Rapp when he was injured, but it is strange to me that even local media never mentions him. Is it assumed that he is adjusting to the system, or has he just underperformed? Given that he was a 2nd round pick, I was hoping for a player who could come in and start almost immediately. It's frustrating to see players routinely getting open with space to run, and to my untrained eye the subpar play of Hamlin is a big reason for that. Maybe someone can fill me in if they know something I don't about Bishop's role on the team thus far.

Classic over drafted player by Mcbeane. Can’t even see the field. Ridiculous 

• Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Dislike 3

He was injured for the vast majority of training camp. Rapp is an nfl vet and Hamlin knows the system. At DB the Bills are pretty slow to play rookies in particular at the cerebral S spot. He’s the best athlete of the group but as the Texans bomb showed he’s not quite ready. I would fully expect he will back up this year and be in the mix to start next year. While both Rapp and Hamlin lack great coverage skills they are both decent tacklers. Liabilities in coverage at times ? Yes but this is currently who the Bills trust. Edwards also injured in camp is a bit more of a surprise since he’s an experienced guy. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

He was injured for the vast majority of training camp. Rapp is an nfl vet and Hamlin knows the system. At DB the Bills are pretty slow to play rookies in particular at the cerebral S spot. He’s the best athlete of the group but as the Texans bomb showed he’s not quite ready. I would fully expect he will back up this year and be in the mix to start next year. While both Rapp and Hamlin lack great coverage skills they are both decent tacklers. Liabilities in coverage at times ? Yes but this is currently who the Bills trust. Edwards also injured in camp is a bit more of a surprise since he’s an experienced guy. 

By this are you implying that Bishop has issues tackling? I haven't watched closely, not sure what his deficiencies are.

Super early for that statement. He will be a starter for the Bills in the future imho. 

Future is now. If he’s not an immediate starter- as a second rd safety !!!!! What are we doing drafting him then.  Hes a poyer / strong safety replacement. I’d argue you should never draft that in 2nd rd. We need a god dang FREE so badly. 

Niners have the rookie from wake who’s starting and making plays. 4th rd. 

It’s just that simple 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, billsgpr88 said:

By this are you implying that Bishop has issues tackling? I haven't watched closely, not sure what his deficiencies are.

I’m not implying that at all. Those are strengths they posses along with experience. Without a doubt Bishop has more upside than either. Right now I make no assumptions that Bishop can’t tackle. I think it’s more processing the game. Also not implying he’s not a smart guy, but I think it takes time. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

The Bills safeties have to be able to both disguise coverages well and know their assignments inside and out. Getting burned by not doing what he was supposed to do on that 67 yard Collins TD was not something McDermott is going to accept. Douglas gave him a "WTF are you doing rookie, where is my help?" motion as he was chasing Collins...Their number one rule is don't get beat over the top.  

He missed a lot of training camp and preseason and hasn't had a lot of reps...he needs more reps and to get more comfortable in the scheme and with what they are doing on D.  His role is to learn how to play in this system properly and what his role is in relationship to the other 10 guys out there.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, balln said:

Future is now. If he’s not an immediate starter- as a second rd safety !!!!! What are we doing drafting him then.  Hes a poyer / strong safety replacement. I’d argue you should never draft that in 2nd rd. We need a god dang FREE so badly. 

Niners have the rookie from wake who’s starting and making plays. 4th rd. 

It’s just that simple 

Ok well that’s the niners. This is the Bills and they operate differently. I am actually pleasantly surprised with Hamlin but for sure his coverage skills are a concern. As I said ultimately he will start and it’s certainly possible this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He is also not a starter. That's why he isn't playing.

Yes even when Rapp was out... Surprised he didn't get n... so basically he just isn't very good... big contract for a 4th safety. 

• Disagree 1

McD values reliability. He probably views Bishop’s blown coverage as a big reason they lost to Houston.

But how do you get better without playing?

He should put Bishop in 10 snaps/game and have him do what he’s good at… man coverage on TE/RB, Blitz. And add snaps each game.

cant use a 2nd rounder and still have Hamlin playing all the snaps.

Ok well that’s the niners. This is the Bills and they operate differently. I am actually pleasantly surprised with Hamlin but for sure his coverage skills are a concern. As I said ultimately he will start and it’s certainly possible this year. 

Pleasantly surprised how? Hes just there. Plays 60 yards off. Let’s the other guy catch it 10 yards away in soft zone. When he’s actually near a wr on the Hail Mary he doesn’t do anything. No play on the ball. 

• Agree 1

Just now, JP51 said:

Yes even when Rapp was out... Surprised he didn't get n... so basically he just isn't very good... big contract for a 4th safety. 

That’s possible but he is the back up for Hamlin. A guy who has been in the Bills system for a few years. I think he may not offer as much on ST so he doesn’t suit up. I would think he would do a reasonable job if called upon.