Bills bringing in kickers for tryout: Harrison Mevis and Alex McNulty

PirateHookerMD

10 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I think it's a baking reference, his yeast intake has been climbing

He’s definitely bigger than Alex Van Pelt.

6 hours ago, Saxum said:

Yes the unwashed masses are dangerous for they throw used anal bildoes and snowballs in season.  Good thing for Bills is in new stadium that if they identify them as season ticket holders they cancel there season tickets and they lose their PSLs.

Testing… 1  2  3… c anal, b anal

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

After practice squad ya can kick Bass in the shin and IR him for 4 wks to see if a new guy works

Maybe hire Urban Meyer as the placekicking consultant?

Edited by Sierra Foothills

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 

Bass is missing wildly in all different ways from all different distances (usually short ones too). If he was just missing long attempts or just missing to the right, I would feel a lot better. These shanks, then pull hooks, then slices, etc. are alarming. 

kickers nowadays are far better than they were during Christie’s time. 45 yards and below is near automatic for the majority of kickers. Everyone attempts plenty of 50+ yarders in today’s game with a higher success rate than ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If I had it my way, I would have these kickers compete and the best gets a PS slot.

Continue the competition (now with Bass) and elevate him for a game if it looks promising.

Not a bad idea, but poor Bass!

Imagine being in this position, clearly wanting, and likely doing everything possible to get better.  But things are still spiraling, to some degree, and then the added pressure of people calling for your head.

It'd  be really hard to overcome.  I guess it is part of the deal for an NFL kicker.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Imagine being in this position, clearly wanting, and likely doing everything possible to get better.  But things are still spiraling, to some degree, and then the added pressure of people calling for your head.

It'd  be really hard to overcome.  I guess it is part of the deal for an NFL kicker.

I defended Bass for a long time.  It's time for him to get his head straight.

He has to have competition.  Maybe that will help.

If he can't take that pressure, he sure won't take playoff pressure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Poor Bass my azz.  He killed any chance of a Superbowl last year and has sucked this year.  Nice guy it seems, bravo for his cat foundation (though I hate fukking cats: dog person). He's earned a shltload of money - bad contract by Beane.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's trade the 2nd round pick we got from the Texans (technically the Vikings pick) & send it to Dallas for Brandon Aubrey 😆

I heard someone suggest that & thought it was crazy, but you know, it wouldn't hurt to have possibly the best kicker in the league who's clutch from 50+ yards & has even hit a 60 yarder in game.

13 hours ago, HansLanda said:

5'11", 243 LBS!!!! they didn't even need to fly him in, he was at a pizza joint down the street. 

Reminds me of John Leypoldt, whom I remember making the tackle downfield on kickoffs on several occasions. He was 6'2", 229 lbs., 32 for 70 at 40+ yards, back when men were men.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeypJo20.htm

14 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I mean at this point...anyone might be better. I can't remember the last time I was NOT nervous for a Bass kick. Even the last kick on MNF that was basically a chip shot I was thinking he would likely miss. He is just so inconsistent and his misses are BAD misses. If this kid can kick, let him kick.

His misses are total miskicks. He has twice this year missed low and skewed off to the right on kicks where he made contact with the ball with the wrong part of the foot. That sort of thing can happen but it should happen to a kicker say once every 3 seasons. It has happened to Bass twice in 6 weeks. At this point to have such technical breakdown twice it HAS to be mental.

• Agree 1

Quoting Bill Belicheck, to live in the past is to die in the future.  Beane made one move that he was forced to make.  It was a move to live now ,  not waste another season.  The Bass move also has to be made. We are lucky he didn’t cost us already. Why not still go for no less than the  #2 seed or better?   It’s 7 years , many wasted chances. Quit focusing on next season, get the best out of this open opportunity now. If you don’t make a move now w bass , the cooper move is not enough to overcome this uncertainty on offense;  we will be forced to make choices on 3 rd / 4 th downs we want to be elective , not forced decisions. Those shanked kicks to me signal  a mechanical issue that can’t be trusted. It could recur at any time.
       You golfers know how fixing a duck hook , or severe slice , involves several mechanical things becoming correct muscle memory. You can’t think your way out of those without pro help usually , and can recur even after you think it’s remedied.  Takes time and hours of practice. You wouldn’t go into a match / tournament without hours on the tee doing it till you don’t think about it while standing over the ball. Soon as you are over the ball and you’re thinking mechanics thru in a match , you have lost the confidence to hit that clean shot that feels great and that confidence lack is hard to overcome.   Bass is inconsistent and besides all the pressure of the game situation, he’s also thinking about mechanics , like his plant foot etc before the kicks. He can’t be trusted right now ; we all know that feeling when you start overthinking and not just swinging or kicking. He is responsible to teammates for their lively hood, and they deserve production , just like they must produce or lose their jobs.  

It’s time to change.  We have a couple winnable games coming up , we are 9 .5 point favorites Sunday.  Shouldn’t be a fg game margin . Perfect time to add a guy , try them at home and get a look.   Beane , go for the present , forget the past , it’s time to fix this and not have regrets like last year after driving for the tying fg, only to see another bad miss. 

Also , the safety position needs improvement. What’s up with Edward’s ?  No more useful than  mvs at this point. Hamlin is adequate, but without Rapp making huge plays , not sure Hamlin would be seen as being effective. . He reminds me of a lb who made tackles , but after the play was successful 10 yards downfield. and even PO had more ints last year, despite losing a step that was obvious against the fins.   Play the rookie , or get some help.  What’s Edward’s issue , health or what ?  Now he seems like a second mvs, and it’s a weak area that possibly could be addressed.  
    Beane needs to keep working, and seems he still believes we are a playoff team this year.   Good first move with coop , now fix kicker as it’s.gone on too long, cost us at home last year and is the last straight forward quick fix. . Last areas to at least consider help is at safety or dline.  But those seem  like icing  on the cake compared to correcting the kicking issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Works for me. If he has a good workout, sign him for a minimum deal and give Bass his walking papers.

Too much money tied up in him.  It would result in a dead money hit.  

If they were going to do anything they should have signed McManus, but I guess he might not fit the “culture”.

14 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

You see the Oregon onside kick vs Michigan?

Taylor Lewan said "he just hammer-fd the ball at this dude" lol

https://youtu.be/LckVGp-AChs?si=H1F0nmO3V1-EQuq6

I’ve been wondering why I never saw anybody try it.  Odds are that a receiver, no matter how good, couldn’t catch a strongly kicked ball.   Toledo accidentally did it against Buffalo, with the Bulls player trying to avoid it like they were playing dodge ball but it hit his leg.   Then, that Bulls player outhustled all the “Rockets” and recovered the ball 10 yards back upfield.  Tremendous play.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder if they can sign the kicker to the PS and use him as a game day elevation a few times to test him out. It would mean both bass and the new guy would be active on game day, but desperate times call for desperate measures. 

It's exactly the plan.  They can't get rid of Bass this year due to cap.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, buffblue said:

McNulty seems like a token move. He kicked at UB for a long time and was very up and down. Not sure how serious the Bills are here. As horrible as Bass has been I doubt even he's worried about a guy like McNulty. 

Mcnulty was ok in 2022 but horrible the other years. I’d rather keep Bass and his issues than try McNulty.