Bills bringing in kickers for tryout: Harrison Mevis and Alex McNulty

1 minute ago, paulmm3 said:

Glad the Bills are bringing in kickers. I think there's almost no way the FO cuts Bass and signs one of these guys, but even in that case it's good to give Bass competition.

Agreed. This is all window dressing to appease the masses that are pissed at Bass. Bills won’t cut Bass. Not at this point. Now if he does actually lose us a game at some point, then all bets are off. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, BRH said:

It's not like we don't have experience cutting kickers who went on to have long careers.  We originally had Gary Anderson and Dustin Hopkins.  Would be nice if we were on the receiving end of that for once.

Hopkins irked me at the time and still does 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Agreed. This is all window dressing to appease the masses that are pissed at Bass. Bills won’t cut Bass. Not at this point. Now if he does actually lose us a game at some point, then all bets are off. 

This is all correct IMO. It's a warning shot across the bow, but I still don't know how they will cut him and eat the cap. It's tough. 

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

That stat is a bit misleading - it relies on previous season data that isn't indicative of the current state of affairs.  It also fails to take into account how kicking has greatly improved around the league as technique has changed.

This season, Bass hasn't hit from 50+ and he has shanked several kicks that demonstrate he's a head case.  He is 9 of 12 this season on FGA which puts him at 75%.  

Excellent points.

You like the guy with uncanny accuracy and a big leg (I don't mean fat guy big, I mean can hit a 60 yarder).

But those guys aren't out there. So at least give me one or the other. The guy who can get a touchback on every single kickoff + hit from 59, but will miss a gimmie every now and then? O.K. Or the guy with limited range who is deadly accurate inside 50. OK too. Right now Bass is none of the above.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sal Capaccio

@SalSports

Beane confirms they will be working some kickers out today after practice. Said they've talked to Tyler Bass and he's aware of that. "It is a production business and he knows he has to make those kicks....we have to continue to look and monitor....if there's a better option we have to turn to, we'll do that"

All those years of Jauron and Marrone kicking figgies instead of going for TDs, while fans were begging them to not try another FG attempt. 

And yet, fans are still begging them to not kick figgies, because eventually one of Bass’s shanks is gonna knock out someone on the sidelines. 

4 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

Seems like more of a firestarter for Bass O' Un-matic- ? 

Harrison Mevis FG percent career: 83.5%

2023:   80%

Tyler Bass FG percent career:          84.1%

2024:         75%

Looks a little like Tasker too.....

Even if their career percentages are similar, new guy’s head may be screwed on straight, where Bass’ clearly is not. He may make more kicks just based off lack of anxiety alone 

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Yes the unwashed masses are dangerous for they throw used anal bildoes and snowballs in season.  Good thing for Bills is in new stadium that if they identify them as season ticket holders they cancel there season tickets and they lose their PSLs.

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills best kickers, while in Buffalo: 

Steve Christie - 78.3

Rian Lindell - 83.3

Dan Carpenter- 86.5

Steven Hauschka - 82

Tyler Bass is only at 84.1

Not justifying trying to keep him, just something to consider. Bills have very little history of elite kicker production for more than 1-2 seasons.

Think this number will get worse, and i also think we've chose to be aggressive on 4th over setting him up for failure at 40+. Which is a crazy low bar.

I was young for most of those guys, but those guys were given a lot more chances from 40+.

Take any one of those guys, stick them into the strategy we've employed with Bass the last 10-12mos, and their numbers are 100% going up. The comparative trajectories are going opposite ways

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Does anybody think that isn't coming very soon? Nfl scores are notoriously tight and we have a guy who kicks 75%, and can't line up past 40. I don't wish it but if that's what they're waiting for he's going to be as clutch as Justin Tucker at delivering that loss