Bills bringing in kickers for tryout: Harrison Mevis and Alex McNulty

PirateHookerMD

I truly believe considering the direction of their season/franchise…you can easily trade the panthers for Piniero. You give them Bass so they have a kicker obviously and like a 5th. That way the money works. There’s no chance the panthers are turning down assets in a dead season for a kicker. They’d probably trade the number 1 overall pick from last year for a 4th. You think you can’t get their Kicker lol ?

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Sweats said:

I worked for a guy named McNulty one time......i didn't like him. 

I'm just throwing this out there......do with it what you will.

McNulty!  Me too ! He owes me money! 

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Not a bad idea, but poor Bass!

Imagine being in this position, clearly wanting, and likely doing everything possible to get better.  But things are still spiraling, to some degree, and then the added pressure of people calling for your head.

It'd  be really hard to overcome.  I guess it is part of the deal for an NFL kicker.

Once a kicker is in his own head they are done. 

• Agree 1

I get McNulty has kicked in Buffalo but he wasn't great for the Bulls not sure why we'd want to sign him.  If I was Beane I'd be looking at other leagues since most of the NFL talent is gone. I mean a guy like Marc Liegghio out of the CFL put up solid numbers the last three seasons and appears not under contract by anyone in CFL for next season. 

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, The Helmet of said:

Should kickers have to pass a psychiatric evaluation before signing?  

I’m not sure there’s a test that would predict the future for a kicker. A lot of us thought we were invincible coming out of college at 22. Then as we age, reality sets in and we get a few “scars”.  How we react to these scars is the big question. 

For golfers, some develop “the yips” & miss easy putts at times. I view kickers similarly to golfers.  Bass has shanked kicks multiple times now and that’s like a golfer shanking an iron into the gallery or 3 putting from 5 feet. It’s very rare for someone to completely overcome that.  Unfortunately, missing a kick is way more consequential than one bad golf shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm guessing that Beane will give Bass every chance to get his mojo back this year. It's a bit like the Diggs contract, Beane clearly doubled down on Diggs and Bass and was/is 'pot-committed' (which is why they put up with Diggs last year). I think the Bills will flirt with a replacement, but unless he has more games like the the last one I think he'll ride out the season.

As egregious as last week was, as some have said, I am sure they are partly attributing that to weather given how bad both kickers were (even though I think that is bogus). I expect Bass to be better than last week but still generally unreliable and we will have to live with that this year and hope it doesn't cost us in the playoffs.

Edited by Ballhawk

This Mevis guy's percentages in college were not that great except for one season. 84% overall. I'd like to see a breakdown by distance. weather condtiions, etc.

I don't have much confidence in Bass right now, but I can't say this guy would be a solution. 

Edited by Dr. K

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I’ve been wondering why I never saw anybody try it.  Odds are that a receiver, no matter how good, couldn’t catch a strongly kicked ball.   Toledo accidentally did it against Buffalo, with the Bulls player trying to avoid it like they were playing dodge ball but it hit his leg.   Then, that Bulls player outhustled all the “Rockets” and recovered the ball 10 yards back upfield.  Tremendous play.

Oregon did same thing to buckeyes , buckeyes front line guy jumped to avoid it but traveled to fast , bounced off him and Oregon recovered.  Big change in momentum in a 1 point loss for Ohio state. NFL taking away element of surprise is a bad change imo. Let’s end up with a cookie cutter game , removing strategy , yet they are ok with 220 yards in accepted penalties by a group of refs who were overall terrible, missing or wrong on many calls , but let’s change the entire=kicking game in the name of safety.  Didn’t make hutch more safe did it.  It’s a big mans , violent game , and they keep limiting the strategy,thinking part of football and it’s heavily weighted in the offenses favor ,,Belichecks words not mine.