The Diggs - Cooper trade

Which would you prefer?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Diggs + 3rd + 7th + $807K
    • Cooper + 2nd + 6th

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I completely disagree about DQ. I was one of the few that didn't like the signing to begin with, for a multitude of reasons but primarily because it once again meant we were choosing to invest in the defense at the expense of the offense. And DQ has been invisible. We have the worst run defense in the league... You can't spend moderate money on a 1T and have the worst run defense in the league, you just can't.

So what if we had a need at DT? It is plainly obvious that Mooney would mean more to this team right now than DQ. And that is not hindsight, it was easily predictable way back in March. As I said all offseason the Bills should have made a real attempt to build around Josh first and the defense second. Instead they made the same mistake they've made every offseason for several years in a row now, and as expected the offense dropped off and the defense has been a disappointment in spite of the investments. There's really no justification or excuse for failing to sign a legit outside WR when one was sitting right there for the taking and we chose the gadget WR instead.

Also that $2.25M we set on fire when we signed MVS could have gone towards Mooney. But because we overspent on yet another aging defensive lineman, we were forced to make a panic move at WR. I'd like to think Beane will learn from this experience but he hasn't learned the other half dozen times so unfortunately I'm coming to realize that this is just who he is. Just once I'd like this regime to try the one path they really haven't tried yet which is to OVER invest in the offense and see where that takes you.

DQ has not been invisible-  your view of DL play is 💩 imo

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's what I say every time someone tries to tell me Beane is forced to draft this way by McDermott...... his team building approach bears remarkable similarity to Hurney and Gettleman - the two guys he learned under. This is how he believes in building a roster. Don't get me wrong I don't think McDermott needs much encouragement to prioritise defensive tackles and linebackers, but his General Manager isn't some puppet having his strings pulled. He is a guy executing a team building strategy he believes in with a Head Coach he is in lock step with. 

How many defensive line rebuilds are we up to now in Beane's 7 offseasons? Three? 

HC sets the heading, GM adjusts the sails

this is known

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

DQ has not been invisible-  your view of DL play is 💩 imo

But he has... The drop off is real. He is on track for the lowest tackles per game of his career. He is not popping on film like he was last year before his injury. And we are the worst run defense in the league... Surely our 1T has something do with that, yes?

At the very least he is looking like a big overpay. Maybe not this year with a $2.87M cap hit, but next year it balloons to $9.4M or $7.6M in dead cap if we cut him. The decision to re-sign him cost us an opportunity to upgrade elsewhere on the roster and he is not performing up to the level of his contract.

• Agree 1

On 10/16/2024 at 8:39 AM, SydneyBillsFan said:

Yeah, I know...it wasn't a straight up trade.

But consider this:

Diggs - born November 28 1993

(age 30 years 11 months)

Cooper - born June 17 1994

(age 30 years 4 months)

Picks gained - 2025 2nd + 2025 6th

Picks lost - 2025 3rd + 2026 7th

So....we've replaced one WR with another who is 7 months younger and we have upgraded two draft picks - for a cost of $807K

It therefore begs the question - are we now in a better position overall?

And Amari can do his thing without having to force feed him the ball!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But he has... The drop off is real. He is on track for the lowest tackles per game of his career. He is not popping on film like he was last year before his injury. And we are the worst run defense in the league... Surely our 1T has something do with that, yes?

At the very least he is looking like a big overpay. Maybe not this year with a $2.87M cap hit, but next year it balloons to $9.4M or $7.6M in dead cap if we cut him. The decision to re-sign him cost us an opportunity to upgrade elsewhere on the roster and he is not performing up to the level of his contract.

Our DL is constantly so frustrating.   

So much invested in terms of cap and draft capital and they just can't seem to get it right. 

Jones has got to start playing better.  The rest of the guys have flashed (Rousseau, AJ, Von, Oliver) and it's still the constant refrain of consistency, but Jones has just been wildly meh. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So we grade 1T on tackles now?  Got it 👌 

On 10/16/2024 at 12:11 PM, SydneyBillsFan said:

Okay, but his contract extension was 4 yrs / 92 mil, it's not like he was playing for free in 2024.

How much cap space would we have saved if he was still on the roster? Around $7 mil, give or take?

The point remains - I think Beane has done very well out of a bad situation.

Looks like the Browns will be taking roughly 38MM in charges to the cap this year and next for Amari. At least they too improved their draft position. Got Amari for a fifth and traded him for a third.

On 10/16/2024 at 11:53 AM, Bruffalo said:

The dead cap should be factored in.

That being said, I'll still take Cooper and the 2nd.

The dead cap hurts this year, but realistically at some point, the Bills were going to move on from Diggs and take a hit.  Very expected it to be this year, but now done with it and in better shape for 2025

• Agree 1