Dion Dawkins - is he the best Bills draft pick (after Allen) of the past 15+ years?

dave mcbride

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DawkDi00.htm

He is an 8-year starter at left tackle (obviously a premium position), objectively good at it (multiple pro bowls) and has only missed two games (in 2022) in his entire career.  Pretty good for a late second round pick (63rd overall). I wouldn't say he's the best LT in the league by any stretch (he's not Trent Williams), but I see him as a player who is consistently in the top 10 at his position -- a position for which it's very hard to find good players. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Pretty good question.

I mean myself I'm not a big draft follower as I don't really watch college football but Tre White, Milano, and Stevie J come to mind.

Tre White- good but not on the team anymore

Milano- good as well but has battled the injury bug of late

Stevie J- great but he was only with the team for like 5 seasons.  plus he was really more of a draft steal vs best pick

So yeah I'd say it's definitely possible 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TPS said:

Depends on how you define it I guess. I'd say Steph Gilmore ranks above him, but he wisely chose to move on when he became an UFA.

And Pegulas were not as wise when they were.  react_haha.png

23 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Injuries aside...Milano 

I don’t think we can add “injuries aside” anymore. Matt -I love him!- is oft-injured and has been since his rookie season. If ‘the best ability is AVAILabilty’, then he’s a wounded warrior because he’s mostly NOT available.🤷‍♂️

anyway, to the OP’s question, he’s certainly fared better than our other 2nd Round Guard we Drafted. Dion is a capable starting LT who is dependable. I like that he’s altered is lineup stance, clearly lining up further ahead from the guard to give DEs a smack to the midsection/shoulder pads before they can really get going. It’s novel and I think it will catch on in the League.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

pick/value/position/performance/availability.

ya, the only one i can think of that might compare is wyatt teller because he's an all pro level G and picked in the 5th, but he's not even here so ya, dawkins might be it.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DawkDi00.htm

He is an 8-year starter at left tackle (obviously a premium position), objectively good at it (multiple pro bowls) and has only missed two games (in 2022) in his entire career.  Pretty good for a late second round pick (63rd overall). I wouldn't say he's the best LT in the league by any stretch (he's not Trent Williams), but I see him as a player who is consistently in the top 10 at his position -- a position for which it's very hard to find good players. 

Bill Polian said way back when "the 3 cornerstones of any team are QB, LT, RDE"  We have 2 of the 3 so YES he would be the 2nd best pick.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t think we can add “injuries aside” anymore. Matt -I love him!- is oft-injured and has been since his rookie season. If ‘the best ability is AVAILabilty’, then he’s a wounded warrior because he’s mostly NOT available.🤷‍♂️

anyway, to the OP’s question, he’s certainly fared better than our other 2nd Round Guard we Drafted. Dion is a capable starting LT who is dependable. I like that he’s altered is lineup stance, clearly lining up further ahead from the guard to give DEs a smack to the midsection/shoulder pads before they can reall get going. It’s novel and I think it will catch on in the League.

That's fair, I know some people are going to feel that way.  That's why I led with injuries aside...but I was looking at it purely from a talent perspective

• Like (+1) 1

He's good overall but he's come up small in big moments recently. And Josh Allen consistently helps make the o-line look good with his mobility.

I'd say Taron Johnson as the best Bills pick after Allen in recent history.

• Agree 1

Schnowman takes probably a bit more flak than he deserves, but I think he’s the right answer to this question based on volume of production and consistent high level of play. 

Guys like Tre and Milano had probably a higher ceiling to hit, but injuries have derailed both of their trajectories, which is a massive shame. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

He's good overall but he's come up small in big moments recently. And Josh Allen consistently helps make the o-line look good with his mobility.

I'd say Taron Johnson as the best Bills pick after Allen in recent history.

I can't fault him for the final 3rd down play in the Bills own end zone vs Houston. He's up against an elite pass rusher and can't do anything that even remotely looks like holding because a called hold there ends the game. It's a tough position for a lineman to be in.