Is Tom Brady Part Owner of Raiders a Conflict of Interest?

It’s not ethical.

Not sure how anyone could think it’s right to be both a broadcaster and an owner of a franchise he’s responsible for reporting on.

No, it’s not illegal of course but it certainly does not inspire trust. Being a fan and having a financial interest are two different things. Seems sleazy.

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

It’s not ethical.

Not sure how anyone could think it’s right to be both a broadcaster and an owner of a franchise he’s responsible for reporting on.

No, it’s not illegal of course but it certainly does not inspire trust. Being a fan and having a financial interest are two different things. Seems sleazy.

He's an announcer, not a reporter.  What is your concern---why sleazy?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

It’s not ethical.

Yeah, and with Brady not criticizing the refs, how soon before the Raiders are the least penalized team in the league?

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

He’s an announcer with some journalistic duties to provide fact based opinions and facts. Would you want Jerry Jones as a broadcaster for an NFC east game? 

It’s silly.

First of all, as opposed to other announcers, his access is extremely limited: "can't criticize other teams or game officials and he can't attend broadcast production meetings that serve as the primary means of preparing for games. He also isn't allowed in the facilities of any team besides the Raiders except in stadiums when he's calling a game, and he can't watch practices."

Even if that is not the case, what would be silly?  You haven't described what you are concerned about as far as how he provides color commentary to the play by play guy's call?  Tell us.

On 10/16/2024 at 8:08 AM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Tom Brady is now a 10% owner of the Raiders. Per Davis they expect he can help them select a QB and train them. Would this be a conflict of interest with him calling games for Fox? (Article below seems to think so). Putting it out there for your consideration.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2024/10/16/tom-brady-las-vegas-raiders-owner/75697265007/

Read the word "Privilege" and hit X. If you cant bother to put effort into article title, no way im reading long form.

Also, hes an announcer not a ref. Stupid, stupid, stupid

1 hour ago, US Egg said:

Yeah, and with Brady not criticizing the refs, how soon before the Raiders are the least penalized team in the league?

IS THIS REALLY WHAT WERE WORRIED ABOUT?  OH HE'LL GET A BUNCH OF CALLS BY BEING NICE TO REFS? That strategy is already known since, 100 years ago.  Being nice to someone versus screaming and yelling at them may get you more favorable results?!  I cant believe the level of hysteria in here.

WHO WILL KEEP HIM AWAY FROM OTHER TEAMS PRACTICE FACILITY?  The same people thatd stop me you or Ghengis Khan from walking in lol  he's the most recognized dude in America, but a teams security might let him slip by!!!!!!

Ok, he ninja spy tip toes past security, and talks to a player!!! Whoa, that guy might not know to not tell another teams owner, Tom Brady, their entire scheme for the week!!!!!!!  The Raiders are awful.  The Bills are good, and will be another 10 years, the drought is gone

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

First of all, as opposed to other announcers, his access is extremely limited: "can't criticize other teams or game officials and he can't attend broadcast production meetings that serve as the primary means of preparing for games. He also isn't allowed in the facilities of any team besides the Raiders except in stadiums when he's calling a game, and he can't watch practices."

Even if that is not the case, what would be silly?  You haven't described what you are concerned about as far as how he provides color commentary to the play by play guy's call?  Tell us.

If it doesn't bother you, cool. As a fan, I personally believe it's a conflict. I stated my reason clearly IMO ("tell us").

He has a vested financial interest in one team and he's providing journalistic observations. I won't lose sleep but since it was brought up, I believe it inhibits his ability as an announcer. Pick a lane. Clear enough?

34 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

If it doesn't bother you, cool. As a fan, I personally believe it's a conflict. I stated my reason clearly IMO ("tell us").

He has a vested financial interest in one team and he's providing journalistic observations. I won't lose sleep but since it was brought up, I believe it inhibits his ability as an announcer. Pick a lane. Clear enough?

It's clear you don't like the idea.  It's still not clear, specifically, why.  You've seen the unprecedented restrictions he is under as an announcer (he's just not a "reporter", so no need to keep saying that, no more than Chris Collinsworth is.  When did Collinsworth ever "report" anything newsworthy on his broadcast?).

none of what you have posted tells us how it inhibits his ability to provide color commentary on game day.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's clear you don't like the idea.  It's still not clear, specifically, why.  You've seen the unprecedented restrictions he is under as an announcer (he's just not a "reporter", so no need to keep saying that, no more than Chris Collinsworth is.  When did Collinsworth ever "report" anything newsworthy on his broadcast?).

none of what you have posted tells us how it inhibits his ability to provide color commentary on game day.  

Jesus, man, are you his publicist? Why so animated about one fan's opinion about a QB we all dislike anyway as Bills fans? 

Going against my better judgment in arguing with a fan board poster, but the very restrictions you point out are themselves inhibitory of him being the best commentator he can be. 

And if Collinsworth were an owner of a team, that would be weird, too. 

On 10/16/2024 at 8:17 AM, peterpan said:

Give one of the leagues biggest known cheaters back door access to all the teams and media, what could possibly go wrong 

His contract stipulates he's not allowed in any locker room. 

It's going to be like WRUB calling the Bulls' games. He's gonna show up with notes and he can't leave the media area. Fox ain't stupid

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Jesus, man, are you his publicist? Why so animated about one fan's opinion about a QB we all dislike anyway as Bills fans? 

Going against my better judgment in arguing with a fan board poster, but the very restrictions you point out are themselves inhibitory of him being the best commentator he can be. 

And if Collinsworth were an owner of a team, that would be weird, too. 

I just didn't understand the logic to your conclusion.   So it's not really an argument that we are having.   You called the arrangement, bizarrely, "sleazy" and mentioned some "trust" issues you have with it.  Now you say your are really only concerned that he won't be the best announcer he can be.  Ok...

As for the rest,  announcers gain no meaningful insight to hanging out with the teams/staffs in the sunup to the game for the obvious reason that no team would ever share any new or important info with a guy calling a game.  Why would they?

Relax, it's not something to get exorcised over....

6 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Read the word "Privilege" and hit X. If you cant bother to put effort into article title, no way im reading long form.

Also, hes an announcer not a ref. Stupid, stupid, stupid

Huh? I genuinely don't understand your first paragraph. 

I'm just asking if folks think it's a conflict. Article seemed to think so. Since then Joe Marino & others pointed out the stipulations the NFL had on allowing Brady to be an owner. He's not allowed as a commentator to attend FOX production meetings to prevent him talking to players and coaches, he isn't allowed at team facilities prior to the game, to prevent him being there for practices etc. (apparently the NFL was concerned this access as a commentator would be a conflict as the Raiders plan to have Tom involved in personnel decisions). I believe they said he cant cover any Raiders games. He's apparently the only commentator now with these restrictions. NFL did it to try to get rid of any conflicts of interest. No idea if it's a problem or not, but interesting the different layers and considerations as he's the first owner to simultaneously be a commentator.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

The good news is that it will be years before Fox's #1 broadcast team will be at a Raiders game and by that time Brady won't be in the booth any longer.  He may have a longer network career than Joe Namath & Jim Kelly, but he won't get a 2nd contract & may get bought out of his 1st sooner than later.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

https://frontofficesports.com/tom-bradys-tv-restrictions-cast-his-10-year-fox-contract-in-doubt/

Tom Brady’s TV Restrictions Cast His 10-Year Fox Contract in Doubt

Public opinion over whether he can and should continue as a Fox broadcaster is far from unanimous.

Brady signed a 10-year, $375 million contract with Fox, and just six games in, 71% of readers in a Front Office Sports newsletter survey think he won’t still be in the job three seasons from now. 

That is $37.5M a year for not having to go to practices and being sacked by defense players.

Not being able to criticize the teams is a bigger problem. When Deshaun Watson throws his third pick of the game and Brady can’t say boo about how massively the Browns screwed up by giving him, at the time, the most guaranteed money in NFL history, that is a major blocker to Brady doing his job.

And it seems to me missing out on those meetings with players and coaches is the biggest blocker. Those meetings clearly matter and yield fruit—we constantly hear Buck and Aikman, for example, referencing nuggets they got from their conversations in the days before a matchup. (The Cowboys told ESPN this week that they do want Brady in their production meetings; but league policy trumps teams, so the Cowboys cannot get an exemption from the Brady Broadcast Rules.)

So effectively he  is getting paid to do PART of his job.  Him and Haason Reddick should hang out together.