MVS Released by Bills

Big Turk

29 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive.  Yes he is guaranteed the money but if another team volunteers to give him some of it it can come off the bills books.  It depends on if the contract has. “ offset language”

Vs

Explanation

If a player with guaranteed money is cut, they are still owed that money. However, if they sign with a new team on a different deal, their old team is only responsible for a portion of the guaranteed money. The new team makes up the difference. 

Example

If a player has $4 million in guaranteed money left on their contract and signs with a new team on a $1 million deal, their old team is only responsible for $3 million.  

I haven't read anything about offset language.  I guess if there is the savings is still minimal, seeing as the guaranteed money was $2.25M, minus the prorated portion.  But when you're this close to the cap every little bit helps. 

Edit: after a little more research, Sportrac has his 2024 dead cap hit at $1.35M so I stand corrected.

1 minute ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I haven't read anything about offset language.  I guess if there is the savings is still minimal, seeing as the guaranteed money was $2.25M, minus the prorated portion.  But when you're this close to the cap every little bit helps. 

Edit: after a little more research, Sportrac has his 2024 dead cap hit at $1.35M so I stand corrected.

Yeah it could be 6-700k… whatever the min is for the rest of the year. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH

38 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yeah it could be 6-700k… whatever the min is for the rest of the year. 

I'm wondering how to interpret this sportrac info now.  If they say there's $1.35M dead cap hit this year, is that the remaining guaranteed portion of his contract after having paid him already for his time on the roster?  If that's the case, then no savings.  idk