MVS Released by Bills

Big Turk

3 hours ago, Process said:

Zero $ savings so the release is interesting. Could have kept him as a #6 for free, he could have also asked to be released. Whatever either way. 

$5M in cap space between him and Edwards lit on fire. 

They needed the roster spot. Based on performance, who would you have released instead of him? There's really no choice. Samuel has outproduced MVS. Basically every WR on the bills has outperformed him. There was no choice. And a sunk cost is a stupid evaluation of performance. Basic economics.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was brought in to take the room off the defense...yet Keon Coleman and Mack Hollins were getting more chances at a deep ball. Writing was on the wall 

something was amiss

I dont watch all 22 anymore , but wasn't he supposed to stretch defenses? At least by fans.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Beane was desperate. I firmly believe He was forced to trade Diggs by McDermott and he was desperate to add any talent he could.

I don't believe that Diggs' thing happened, as there is no evidence of that whatsoever.  And it seems very farfetched that McDermott would be able to, or want to, 'force' Beane, his boss, to do anything at all. 

I think they both saw what we all saw last night, and much of this year--this team can win it all this year, but there is a clear weak area--wide receivers. So, not desperate, the opposite, very hopeful; looking to the near future, and bringing in an excellent player to address a weakness.

Isn't that exactly what you would want from the two leaders of your team?

They went out and got the best wide receiver available, signing a tremendous player, at an extraordinary price.

I think it is a great move, one we should praise, not come up with conspiracy theories to undermine.

Beyond your theory, do you think this is a good move for the Bills, makes them better?

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I don't believe that Diggs' thing happened, as there is no evidence of that whatsoever.  And it seems very farfetched that McDermott would be able to, or want to, 'force' Beane, his boss, to do anything at all. 

I think they both saw what we all saw last night, and much of this year--this team can win it all this year, but there is a clear weak area--wide receivers. So, not desperate, the opposite, very hopeful; looking to the near future, and bringing in an excellent player to address a weakness.

Isn't that exactly what you would want from the two leaders of your team?

Hence, they went out and got the best one available, and got a tremendous player, at an extraordinary price.

I think it is a great move, one we should praise, not come up with conspiracy theories to undermine.

Beyond your theory, do you think this is a good move for the Bills, makes them better?

Beane is not McDermott's boss.  Both Beane and McDermott report, in parallel, to Pegula

I agree with your overall point that it doesn't seem likely that McDermott "forced", or even lobbied hard, for Beane to trade Diggs.

4 hours ago, 90sBills said:

He’s going back to KC.

Likely

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I wonder if he asked to be let go?

otherwise, I don’t like this move.

a depth LB would have made more sense IMO

He shows up in the playoffs.  Hoping we don’t have to face him 

Sure, we're already playing our backup outside LB and our MLB is playing with a torn pec, but let's cut a backup LB.  :doh:

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Beane is not McDermott's boss.  Both Beane and McDermott report, in parallel, to Pegula

I agree with your overall point that it doesn't seem likely that McDermott "forced", or even lobbied hard, for Beane to trade Diggs.

I did not know that.

But I assume Beane can fire McDermott, as he is the GM?

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Likely

Sure, we're already playing our backup outside LB and our MLB is playing with a torn pec, but let's cut a backup LB.  :doh:

Diggs, by his own admission, was lobbying to be moved.   He didnt need help in forcing his way out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Process said:

Zero $ savings so the release is interesting. Could have kept him as a #6 for free, he could have also asked to be released. Whatever either way. 

$5M in cap space between him and Edwards lit on fire. 

And don't forget - we wasted a $2M on Collins the OT.

17 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I did not know that.

But I assume Beane can fire McDermott, as he is the GM?

I. believe Beane and McDermott report to Pegula.  Only he can fire either of them

• Like (+1) 1

What a waste of a pic, a waste of more cap space and it's especially puzzling that we couldn't possibly find even a small way to get him involved just a little bit consistently during every game, especially considering the collection of misfit receivers we have currently.

Beane's track record with receivers has been pitiful, whether it be in free agency or picking them in the draft, which for 7 years he rarely has done unfortunately unless they're in the late rounds. Diggs, being the exception... but he was already a proven commodity so it wasn't like Beane was betting on his own instincts and ability to rate talent on whether a receiver would be good or not like in the draft (that has not really happened, except with Shakir who has been pretty decent and consistent last year and so far this year).

However, the Amari Cooper trade looks pretty decent on the surface, especially from a cap standpoint. Although, I'm not too crazy about giving away a third round pick, yet really with the swap of a seventh in 26 for a sixth in 25, not too shabby when you factor in the contract cost this year, which is basically free. Regarding the higher draft pick than what he was traded for previously was mainly because of the miniscule cap hit that the other team would inherit, i.e., us in this case (that's a big plus and he should help open up and make the whole receiving core better). I was on record of preferring and obtaining him rather than Davante.

Just last year, Cooper continued to be among the league's top WRs with a career-high 1,250 yards, including a 265-yard, two-touchdown performance against the Texans on Dec. 24th. Plus, look at that clip of him catching it with one hand out of bounds when Allen threw a bomb and threw it away on the sidelines, that's pretty comical. They have some chemistry already...lol!

4 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So maybe next offseason instead of throwing Claypool/MVS type signings against the wall to see what sticks, Beane has a real plan to upgrade the room?

Given the cap situation, it was not a bad gamble. We were counting on some of them to compliment Shakir and Coleman. It was just terrible luck that not one person out of the group stepped up as options. Samuel and MVS were busts. Hollins is the best of the bunch, which is sad because he is still playing like a 5th WR. Shavers, Shorter and the UDFA's didn't turn out to be hidden gems, Hamler, and Cephus showed why they were not on rosters at the end of last year and Claypool was actually showing a little promise, but got hurt.

Edited by dgrochester55

18 minutes ago, JBI$111 said:

What a waste of a pic, a waste of more cap space and it's especially puzzling that we couldn't possibly find even a small way to get him involved just a little bit consistently during every game, especially considering the collection of misfit receivers we have currently.

Beane's track record with receivers has been pitiful, whether it be in free agency or picking them in the draft, which for 7 years he rarely has done unfortunately unless they're in the late rounds. Diggs, being the exception... but he was already a proven commodity so it wasn't like Beane was betting on his own instincts and ability to rate talent on whether a receiver would be good or not like in the draft (that has not really happened, except with Shakir who has been pretty decent and consistent last year and so far this year).

However, the Amari Cooper trade looks pretty decent on the surface, especially from a cap standpoint. Although, I'm not too crazy about giving away a third round pick, yet really with the swap of a seventh in 26 for a sixth in 25, not too shabby when you factor in the contract cost this year, which is basically free. Regarding the higher draft pick than what he was traded for previously was mainly because of the miniscule cap hit that the other team would inherit, i.e., us in this case (that's a big plus and he should help open up and make the whole receiving core better). I was on record of preferring and obtaining him rather than Davante.

Just last year, Cooper continued to be among the league's top WRs with a career-high 1,250 yards, including a 265-yard, two-touchdown performance against the Texans on Dec. 24th. Plus, look at that clip of him catching it with one hand out of bounds when Allen threw a bomb and threw it away on the sidelines, that's pretty comical. They have some chemistry already...lol!

Meaning MVS? What pick ? He was 2.2 M against the cap, certainly worth the risk. He didn’t work out, but Josh missed him twice in long passes where he may have scored. One of multiple off season moves. Some work and don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Meaning MVS? What pick ? He was 2.2 M against the cap, certainly worth the risk. He didn’t work out, but Josh missed him twice in long passes where he may have scored. One of multiple off season moves. Some work and don’t. 

Yes, meaning acquiring him in the offseason and not being able to figure out even in a small way how to use him this year.