Group eying a minority stake in Bills includes Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady.

25 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

Every time you buy a share of stock in a company, you buy a minority stake in that company.  So, if the company makes money and the value of the share rises, you make money.  Same idea generally.

So, they only make money once they sell their shares at some point in the future? Seems to me some of the profits Terry is making should go to them? And I’ll assume they have some say in how the organization is run, just like whale stockholders of corporations.

21 minutes ago, K D said:

Can we put them in for hail Mary situations?

Seriously, we get embarrassed by a Hail Mary once a season. Would be great to have people great at jump balls. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Saint Doug said:

So, they only make money once they sell their shares at some point in the future? Seems to me some of the profits Terry is making should go to them? And I’ll assume they have some say in how the organization is run, just like whale stockholders of corporations.

It depends on the type of share certificate they purchase.  In a situation like this, the minority interest may be highly customizable.  

Lets equate that to you purchasing a share of Disney stock.  You would get the appreciation value when you sell it, but would also get income every year as Disney declares dividends.  Of course, you could also vote your share every year also.  

In this case, I would suspect that the minority interest would have appreciation value, an annual stream of income attached to it and certain voting rights.  The shraes may also have re-sale restrictions such as they may have to offer it back to the Pegulas first and/or the Pegulas have to approve any buyer etc.

These types of purchases will be highly cutomized given the amount of $$ involved and the fact that the asset is not very liquid.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Every single trend, signal and data point says otherwise. I get you want that to be true though.

We shall see, the NFL isn't something I would invest in.  Anytime private equity gets involved, things crumble.  The NFL's rapid growth has been tied to gambling.  Gambling is here, the growth from gambling is done.  NFL is trying to go international now, and the product just isn't good enough.  

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Back2Buff said:

NFL is trying to go international now, and the product just isn't good enough.  

After having attended the game last night in person and watched that atrocious second half of football by both teams, I would have to concur lol

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea if only there wasn’t a big f’ing stadium being built in OP then this might matter. 

Yeah...leases are unbreakable. 

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea if only there wasn’t a big f’ing stadium being built in OP then this might matter. 

Listen, in my head I know this is true and they are minority shareholders so it doesn't matter.  However, there is a large part of me that hated the specter of Toronto for so long and one of the best things about TP buying the team is all that crap went away.  Well now TP is inviting it back so he can cash out a little.  Fantastic. I'm thrilled.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1