Damar Hamlin

Savage

On 10/15/2024 at 2:31 PM, Nester said:

He single handedly destroyed the Dolphins Season, our biggest threat for the Division title.

He should get extended on that basis alone. 

It was Tua!  A roll of bathroom tissue thrown at his head could've produced the same result.

6 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Can’t disagree with you more. Especially as a serviceable starter. Way too slow, poor angles, and poor coverage skills.  Dude shouldn’t even be on the roster let alone starting. 

Little harsh. Far from high caliber starter, but a decent depth player who can spot start in a pinch. A lot like I viewed Levi Wallace.

1 hour ago, Savage said:

That was Ray Lewis.

credited with many more tackles than he ever made.

In '99 we played the Ravens on the road, and it was a close game we won. Sam Gash pounded Lewis until as the game got to the end Lewis was dodging Gash. Sam was so great at hitting his target and Lewis, while having a good day statistically, learned that being the first in the hole when Gash was lead blocking was going to leave him in the ice for a lot longer than he bargained for. Seeing Lewis's eyes in the 4th quarter of that game are a favorite memory!

On 10/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, Savage said:

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

He actually wraps up the ball carrier at the knees.

That is a lost skill / art in the game of football today.

He won’t lay any big licks on anyone, but he’ll make his tackles.

I give him props for that.

Most NFL players have no idea how tackle, or have forgotten how to tackle.

Do you know why smaller defensive players don’t wrap up most of the time? It is because they would dislocate their shoulders every tackle. They practice tackles the way you see them tackle in games. It’s not that “mOsT nFl PlAyErS fOrGoT hOw To TaCkLe.” It’s because they actually do it the safest way possible. Tell me you watched football before the merger without telling me you watched before the merger.

On 10/15/2024 at 12:26 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

He's been fine all year. I don't really understand the frustration with him. We were spolied with two all pros for 7 years. Hamlin has been fine and so has Rapp

Go watch the angle he took on that Jet run that Rapp saved from being a TD. While you are watching that go watch him take another bad angle covering Wilson over the middle and giving up another huge play. Then go watch the Hail Mary. Mind you that was just in one game and I can point out many more in that game alone. 

On 10/15/2024 at 2:18 PM, Savage said:

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

He actually wraps up the ball carrier at the knees.

That is a lost skill / art in the game of football today.

He won’t lay any big licks on anyone, but he’ll make his tackles.

I give him props for that.

Most NFL players have no idea how tackle, or have forgotten how to tackle.

Hamlin is as mid as it gets. He’s not a total liability on the field, but he’s definitely not an impact player either. It’s very impressive that he made a full recovery and is back starting on an NFL team. It’s actually an incredible story and Hamlin is a great role model for people to follow. The Bills def need an upgrade at that position at some point, but I’m okay w/ Hamlin as long as he does his job on the field and doesn’t blow coverages.

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

In this defense mental mistakes will kill you much faster than not being a track star.  That is why despite his size and speed Bishop is more of a liability than Hamlin and thus Hamlin is starting.  

This is true, but the Bills after 7 years of barely giving up explosives on defense are suddenly giving them at a concerningly high rate. That is a reflection of the safety play. I agree Bishop was part of that, he struggled massively against the Texans and both their touchdowns were on him. But it isn't like the others are holding it down either. We don't have a single true starting level safety on the roster. I suspected that before the season and, unlike last year at linebacker when I suspected that Milano was our only starting level player and then Bernard (and in the end Dodson) got on the field and actually showed they could play, it is how it has played out so far. Rapp is that guy who you love as your 3rd safety who can play in some dime looks but who has to be at his peak to get by as a starter and he is the best of the bunch. I think given that the argument for get Bishop on the field and let him take some lumps is a strong one. But I suspect for the exact reason you state that isn't what they will do.